My Mark IV needs something new! Tubes, perhaps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freaktorn

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a Mark IV widebody combo. It's one of the later ones, so it's a version B. For the last couple of years it has been a good amp to me, but now I'm growing a bit tired of it. It feels like I can't get my sound out of it. The clean channel and lead channel feels a bit too... modernish! Channel 2 does some good sounds though. I've tried messing around with class A and triode/pentode, but it does miss something.

I play many styles of music, but I prefer funk, soul, pop, rock and blues. I'm not that into metal music any more, but I play some Pantera and Dream Theater riffs from time to time :wink:

Maybe it needs different tubes? Right now, it's equipped with 4x6L6's and 5x12AX7's, which is the standard i suppose. Does anyone have tips regarding different tubes? I need my Mark to sound a bit more vintage!

You can try swapping out the 2 outside 6L6 tubes with a good set of EL-34's and run it in class A. With humbuckers that sounds pretty good and vintage. You can also try swapping out the 12AX7 pre-amps with SPAX7's.

I had the same reservations about my wide IVb. I tried 6V6s, but that didn't really do it. I now run STR420s in the inner sockets, 5881s in the outer sockets, and vintage Tung-Sol 12AX7s in V1, V3 and V5. Made a world of improvement to my ears taming some of the amp's modern overtones. And all for around $100.

Thanks for the replies!

STR420... is that the Mesa name for "6L6GC"?

I'm considering either 6L6's in the middle with EL-34 in the outer sockets, or 6L56's with 5881's in the outer sockets. Will any of these do anything to sweeten my clean sound? I want a warmer, slightly more vintage clean sound, and a better crunch... I'm thinking EL-34.

Any thoughts?

I'm partial to the EL-34's..b/c with my Les Paul I get that Clapton Bluesbreaker sound.

freaktorn said:
Thanks for the replies!

I'm considering either 6L6's in the middle with EL-34 in the outer sockets, or 6L56's with 5881's in the outer sockets. Will any of these do anything to sweeten my clean sound? I want a warmer, slightly more vintage clean sound, and a better crunch... I'm thinking EL-34.

Any thoughts?
STR420 is only one version of a 6L6GC, and is entirely a Mesa designation. I've heard it was the tube the Mark IV was designed around.
IMO, your 6L6/5881 combination will certainly sweeten your clean tone and provide a more vintage sound. It worked for me using STR420s in the inners.
I'm not an EL34 guy, so I'll defer comment on that.

freaktorn said:
Thanks for the replies!

Any thoughts?

I took out GT 6L6'S, put in some sovtek? 5881's i found laying around, set class a/tweed and fell in love all over again.

ymmv

cheers

Latest posts

Back