My Mark III is not what I thought it was.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall_Fascist

Reaction score
I bought a Mesa Boogie Mark III awhile back, and it just came in early sunday! The guy said that is was a blue stripe, but when I looked at the stripe, it looked more green to me than blue. I called Mesa, and talked to Mike B., He told me if the serial # is 26*** and is simiul class, than 99.9% that it is indeed a green stripe!!! Is that better or worse? From what I have read, the green stripes have a cleaner R1.

Will post pix when I get the time.

That’s a shame that you didn't get what you expected, nevertheless you have an awesome amp. I monitor both the UK and USA eBay sites daily and the green stripes don't come up that often, so you could say you have a fairly rare amp. Spend some quality time with it, tweak and twiddle those knobs – you won’t be disappointed.
Ian

I wonder how much cleaner could it be.

I have a purple stripe that gets very clean sounds on channel one.

I dont think the stripe thing is worth worrying about.

I have had a few different Mk III's. Black dot, blue stripe and red stripe. The blue and red had a better R2 sound than the black dot. The R1 and Lead modes were very similar though on all three amps.

It would also have the outer sockets wired in Class A Pentode.
Dont let this get you down. The Green was the final step in the evolution and was done for a reason. Give it time and you may find it is the right amp for you. The Simul-Class Pentode is real ballsy like on the MK IV. If you really dont like it, just have the two outer sockets wired in triode. The OT is the same 562004 Simul and it would be a very simple circuit change. It may be cool to have a Green wired in Class A triode, or not.

BPski said:
I have had a few different Mk III's. Black dot, blue stripe and red stripe. The blue and red had a better R2 sound than the black dot. The R1 and Lead modes were very similar though on all three amps.

Can you describe the difference in R-2? Thanks.

The R2 sound of the blue stripe I had and red stripe I still have sound nice and crunchy. A little dark but sounds great for certain things especially with the band. The black dot R2 sounded darker, less crunch and sort of blah sounding. Sound is very hard to describe in words. I thought it was an unuseable sound. I suppose the black dot circuit could be modified to sound more like the other stripes.

guys!!!! Im cant find my usb cable to post pix of it :x Time to goto raidio shack, danm.

I cant blame the guy for saying it was a blue stripe. I have to say, it was really hard to tell. It looked more green than blue, so I called Mesa. Its not a big deal. Im taking it to a friends house to jam out. Turns out, it also has the R2 volume mod done on it! It's fully loaded with everything except for Reverb.

You are going to **** your pants when I tell How much I got it for.

500.00 dollars. :D

Pix to come!!!! Im proud to be part of the boogie club. Sorry for the long reply.

Latest posts

Back