My "Lone-Stack"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbalderrama

Reaction score
Got the short head in. Kicks butt. It came in with EL34's, but after playing it a bit I think I'll put 6L6 back in. This configuration is much more managable than the big honkin combo. Now I just need to move my IIC+ into a head and get a headswitcher to complete the "tower of power".

LoneStack.jpg

That's pretty cool man! I'm always interested in those unique home made rigs. Are those two different sized speakers and two different cabs or are my eyes just playing tricks on me?

cb101 said:
Beautiful set-up! Congrats, How's the reverb on yours?

Seems fine so far. I've never used a ton of reverb anyway and alot of the time play it flat.

Hey:

That's one very...very nice rig!

I originally bought a 112 LSC combo...then bought a 212 combo cab to put it in to take advantage' of the LS's full potential.

However after 'lugging' this setup to gigs...I decided to go the easier 'Head/Cab' route too! I didn't really mind carrying the 212 combo to the bigger gigs....but to those that barely needed it...it seemed a lot of bother.

I picked up the first head I ran across...a LSC 'long' head. I converted the 212 combo cab to a 212 speaker cab. Found some of the matching tolex and had a cabinet maker cut me a new 'top piece' for the front without the 'chassis cutout'....added some 'side handles' ala Marshall...and it's now a very practical rig. Kept the112 combo for backup.

But...no question about it... yours wins 'hands down' as far a pure practicality goes!

Congrats: Charles

Charles Reeder said:
But...no question about it... yours wins 'hands down' as far a pure practicality goes!
Congrats: Charles

I think larger cabinets definately have a bit more open, less focused sound, but I for sure like the size of the compacts!

My rig will be close to this, but full size head, and two 3/4 back 1 12 cabs to stack up!I already have the cabs, and the amp has been on order since Jan 28.

Cool Rig!
Vinny

Very nice - I have my own LoneStack with a 1x12 combo LSS on a 1x12 cab. It works for me.

SabuJSE said:
Very nice - I have my own LoneStack with a 1x12 combo LSS on a 1x12 cab. It works for me.
What are the sonic differences you notice by using the additional cab in your set-up (other than added volume)?

I have the LSS 1x12, which sounds great ... and I am curious.

Manasta said:
SabuJSE said:
What are the sonic differences you notice by using the additional cab in your set-up (other than added volume)?

I have the LSS 1x12, which sounds great ... and I am curious.

If the cabs are similar design with the same speakers, then basically each speaker doesn't work as hard at the same volume This can be useful at higher volumes to keep speaker breakup manageable. For example, I hate a single V30 in general because they break up too early and your sound takes on the character of the V30 instead of the amp. However, a bunch of V30s in a couple of 4x12's can sound pretty great.

I've also got a LSC 1x12 combo which I've paired up with a 1x12 3/4 back cab with EVM12L. In that case, the EVM adds a ton of low end to the sound, and the mismatched speakers make for an overall fuller tone.

I'm a different breed. I tried the Head/Cab LSC setup and did not like it. Sold it and got a 2x12 combo and am much happier. The LSC head was pretty heavy as was the 2x12 cab....and is was quite difficult getting all of my rig to fit into the trunk on my car with the extra piece of gear along with my effects rack and axe. Plus I like my speaker up off the ground closer to my ears...and the head cab setup does not lend itself well for that.

As sbalderrama alluded to, you get more space in the sound, a bit more low-end (NOT mud), and additional volume. Basically, it fattens the whole tone up in a pleasing way.

Latest posts

Back