My last question for today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelch

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for tightening up the gain while in modern setting? I play with the gain pretty high and just doesnt seem tight enough for my style. (Hardcore/Metal) :twisted: I hate to say this but I loved the tightness of my distortion when I used to play with a metal zone pedal through a clean channel. Is there anything I can throw in front of my modern channel to tighten it up. I love my recto!!

I found this clip from this posting which I would like to get close to.

http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4665&highlight=metal

unfortunately i don't think a rectifier can ever get as tight as any Engl. Engl's were bred specifically for tight riffing. A mark2 3 or 4 can get very tight (metallica), but not a rectifier. To tighten up the amp you need to do a combination of things. First, swap out the stock rectifier tubes for either JJGZ34 or mesa 5U4G. NOT 5U4GB. I think groove tubes has a 5u4 also. Any of these should work fine to help tighten the amp up a lot. Second, back down on the bass knob considerably (much less than 12). Increasing mids a good deal and a small boost in treble should help out also. You could also try the bold and diodes setting before you invest in the tubes. The tubes however are probably what will get you closest.

I forgot to mention I own a single rectifier. My bad. I have heard alot about putting a tubescreamer in with the head. Would this help a bit if I used that while in the modern setting?

I owned a Keeley SD-1, and it tightened my recto up ALOT!

i just didn't care for the added tightness...with my setup, it is definitely tight enough for my needs, so I sold the pedal!

But if you need additional tighten, it does it perfectly without altering tone!

Take the amp out of rectifier tube tracking and switch to Diode for your tighter metal sound. And roll off some of the bass if you have that cranked. Make sure you're set for Bold, not Spongy, on the power, if your single recto has these options.

Diode rectifiers, bold power, and a nice tubescreamer based overdrive in front with volume up and gain down will give you what you seek, I do the same thing :)

I will give the tubescreamer a try. Is the boss sd1 different from a keely sd1? I was also looking at the Maxon OD808. Anyone ever use one of these in conjunction with using the modern setting?

I have a Boss SD-1, a Keeley SD-1, and about 4 Tube Screamer pedals .. TS9, J&H, TS808 RI, Barber LTD's ..

The stock Boss SD-1 does the best job of tightening things up in my opinion. It steals some of your low end, but that can be a good thing. IT IS NOT like turning down your bass.

I run all the pedals pretty much the same. Volume 100%, tone 30-40%, Drive 0 % .. The Keeley sd-1 is like a normal sd-1 on steroids, the LTD is like a medium gain TS with alot more volume on tap ..

Chelch: try these settings for your Recto:

Bass @ 9 o'clock
Mids @ 1 o'clock
Treble @ 1 - 2 o'clock
Gain @ 3 o'clock
Presence @ 10 - 11 o'clock

Keep the Recto tube tracking and bold settings (Don't have too if you don't want to). The 5U4G tubes are essential too.

+Mike+

I have the single rectifier so I dont have the bold option..at least I dont think I do. :roll:

chelch said:
I will give the tubescreamer a try. Is the boss sd1 different from a keely sd1? I was also looking at the Maxon OD808. Anyone ever use one of these in conjunction with using the modern setting?

I played one through a Zinky, very nice pedal. You'd be happy with the Maxon.

Back