My first Mesa a Lonestar Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pageburst

Reaction score
Hi I'm happy to have bought my first Mesa. A nice blue LSC.

After fooling with a DRRI and a couple of other Fender amps I bought an LSC on the bay. Best move I've made. It is a versatile tone machine that is capable of producing the best clean tones I've heard. I wanted something in between a Fender BF and Tweed tone wioth just enough bounce and lushness in the mids.

With my R7 and R0 Lp's I was able to dial in a beauitiful lush harmonic voice with just the right amount of shimmer. What an organic alive sounding amp. The DRRi I returned to GC sounded sterile overly brite yet hooded and dry in comparison.

This is a tweakers amp and requires a bit of dialing in -the tone controls are very interactive. I can't imagine the tonal possibilites with the MK IV and all those dual function nobs.

In any event I love the LSC. I'll have to post pictures when I get a chance.

BTW I ordered a full compliment of JJ tubes with EL34L power tubes for my LSC. I hope to get a bluesbreaker tone with the set up.

Good luck with the LSC, it's a great amp.

There's a good thread on another forum I belong to about the LSC/DRRI comparisons. Good debate regarding each amps features, pluses and minuses. Nobody's digging in their heals, but some passinate arguments in defense in each amp.

I own and gig with both and am enjoying the thread. Lots of helpful info is being passed on.

picnic said:
Good luck with the LSC, it's a great amp.

There's a good thread on another forum I belong to about the LSC/DRRI comparisons. Good debate regarding each amps features, pluses and minuses. Nobody's digging in their heals, but some passinate arguments in defense in each amp.

I own and gig with both and am enjoying the thread. Lots of helpful info is being passed on.

Link :D

Congratulations on the new amp! I know what you mean about the Fender amps sounding a little sterile next to the LSC. I had a chance to compare my LSC with a DRRI, TRRI, Bassman Reissue, and Hot Rod De Ville, and I ended walking out of the store with the LSC. All those Fender amps are great amps, but the LSC I found to be more versatile and organic sounding.

It might take you a week or two to find your settings, but once you do, you really won't end up doing too much tweaking. My preference with this amp is to hardbypass the effects loop. I find that the clean channel has a more bell like quality this way.

Let us know how the amp sounds with the E34L's compared to the 6L6 tubes.

BigMac5 said:

I'm guessing, but it might be this one:

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&message_area_number=15

Look for the "Returned my DRRI for a Mesa Lonestar" thread.

-Gary K

My strat sounds better thru my DRRI, and my tele sounds better thru my LSC. Strat-Kinman AvnBlues, Tele-Lollar 52's. DRRI wins the load in and out war by far. I'm gettin tired of 72lbs, and I use a dolly. DRRI sounds great on a stand about 2 feet off the floor, LSC sounds good on floor with an amp wedge. I mike both with a 57. Took quite a while to dial in the LSC, and only after a JJ full re-tube was I satisfied with the mesa. For a long time I thought i made a mistake buying the LSC, but I'm really satisfied with it now. The DRRI is basically plug and play. I use a speaker diffuser to spread out some to the highs in the Rev channel, but I like being able to dial in some extra top end if I need it. Walked out about 15 feet infront of an elevated stage we were playing, and the DRRI sounded fantastic from out front. Both are great amps, but lately the DRRI has been my go to amp. I'm gettin to be a bit of a geezer, and I don't have a roadie, so the DRRI gets the nod most nites. I love the way it sparkles and gets hairy with just the tweak of the guitar volume, and picking dynamics.

Gary K Thanks for the link That's the thread.

Bikedude, I laughed when I read DRRI wins the load in/load out war.

Pageburst retubing with Rubys 440's improved my LSC tone, not at lot but better clarity and sweeter harmonic feedback. Good choice with the JJ's

You got it Picnic, That LSC is one heavy biatch. But it sounds sweet, but at the cost of a sore back, at my age, I think I'll leave it at home for awhile, and dig the DRRI. That Fender is quite a fun little amp, and it's stock right now. From what the modders have said, there is defenitly more tone to be had with a speaker upgrade, and some new tubes.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just installed the 4 JJ EL34Ls and 5 JJ pre tubes and I am very impressed. Tonally there is a big difference. The mids open up with a huge dimensional harmonically rich presence that reminds me of my friends modded 62 Bluesbreaker RI. I can't imagine the Stiletto sounding better than the Lonestar because imo this amp is made for the EL34. Even the drive channel is much tighter and bigger sounding.

FOr comparison I ordered 4 JJ 6L6s to see how the 6L6s fair but as it stands Thes el34Ls are staying put.

From EC Fresh Cream to the Allmans to Ledzep, this amp has that tone.

Awesome. Consider me officially in the Mesa camp.

Latest posts

Back