My broken triple rectifier head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was trying to use my head to record some music into my computer via Line 6 Guitar Port. I had it all pluged in with all of the volumes down, and I was still getting a normal distorded sound on chanel 3. Channel 2 made no noise at all even if it was turned up all the way and clean channel made this chatter sound but had no guitar sound at all. I tried to get the chatter to stop so I messed with some of the nobs on the back of my head and all of the tubes lit up crazy bright-blue and I lost all power to the amp. It smelt like burning electronics... NOT GOOD! It still wont turn on. I am soo scraed that it is completely broken. Please give me some good news!

I am scared!

How did you have it hooked up?

If it was hooked up from the speaker outputs, that's not good at all.

Or if you didn't have a speaker hooked up, you caused some serious damage.

Either way, your output transformer is most likely dead. (if you're lucky :( )

what is that? And is it really expensive? I just had it hooked up into the 4 ohm output...and running straight into the port.

I don't know how to explain it really, but yeah, they're expensive. if you had it hooked up to the port, that's really not good...It's possible that it could've completely killed the amp, or it might have done some serious damage.

Good luck.

I'm not sure what output trasnformers cost now, but they're usually as least $100.

The mesa ones are usually the best ones there are, so they're not cheap.

But if you smell burning electronics, it isn't the tubes.

That's usually a component or something.

The broken mesa man said:
100-200-300 $? Or more? Thats the worst news ever I think! Any possibility that it was just the tubes?

Output transformer...probably more
Output trans + full retube... definately more
Fuse...about 89 cents

First change the fuse and try it CONNECTED TO A SPEAKER you might get lucky, Mesas are pretty tough. Even if it works you might want to have it checked out.

Never, EVER, run a tube amp without a speaker load.

Good luck, I know what it's like to have a great amp die

Output transformer...probably more
Output trans + full retube... definately more
Fuse...about 89 cents
I dont know what any of that is... But it doesnt sound good... I was thinking that I would check the fuse... That would be nice if that was all that it was...

Well the fuse would definetly blow if the amp just swiched off like that, otherwise the amp would stay on, and that would be bad.

Yeah... I just checked the fuse.... It is shot! That good I guess... It doesnt smell anymore... And anytime I have ever messed something electical up on anything, it never loses the smell... That makes me a lot happier... There is still hope!

Let's hope it was only the fuse.....putting such a load into the tone port is definitely not a sufficient connection to the head.....

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Let's hope it was only the fuse.....putting such a load into the tone port is definitely not a sufficient connection to the head.....

+1 cant be too good throwing that kind of power at the tone port either...maybe that burning smell was the toneport cooking?

First off, don't take this the wrong way but when dealing with big tube amps, you should really know what you're doing due to the voltage that is involved. You've made a mistake and that's fine. Mistakes are how we learn valuable lessons. However, DEATH is not a valuable lesson.

Feel free to change your fuse but DO NOT fool around inside your amp in an attempt to fix it. No offense... But... You have no business in there. So you know, there are capacitors within that have stored up electricity that WILL KILL YOU upon your first false move.

So, here's some info that might help you out.

1. The aforementioned output transformer is the last component of your output stage. You said you didn't know what this was. Perhaps I can explain it. Your output tubes produce separate, high voltage signals for the + and - phases of your guitar signal. The Output Transformer or "OT", as it is sometimes called, puts these together and reduces the voltage while doing some impedance magic. If you don't understand this, just suffice it to say that what comes out of your tubes can't make a speaker work. After it goes through the OT, it can.

2. You mentioned that you don't know what a "Retube" is. Here's what it is: Modern tubes don't last as long as tubes did in the old days. Every year or so, you need to get new tubes. You can make them last even less time if you use them all the time or, in your case, subject them to undue stress like plugging your speaker output into a guitar port. When you put in new tubes, it's called a "Retube". Mesa amps are cool because if you just use Mesa tubes, you'll never have to Bias the amp. I do not recomend that you do this yourself.

One other thing. The whole idea of the guitar port is that you don't need to use an amp to record. Of course, you can do what you want but that thing is designed for line level or less signals. Don't plug speaker juice in to it. If it's not allready melted, use it in good health by taking my advice.

Good luck. I hope your fuse is the only problem.

Next time try something like this instead:
mic your cab
mic plugs into a microphone preamp like behringer mic100
go from mic preamp to guitar port
I have not used guitar port, but I think this should work - this is essentially the traditional way to record a tube amp without using a mixing board.

Latest posts

Back