My boogie is toooo buzzy.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-o

Reaction score
I just got a single recto. Even with the gain way down it still just seems a bit too buzzy and not quite tight enough. Im cranking it pretty good, output at 11:00 in a live band setting. Ive used the settings in the manual and tried some of my own. Right now Im using a ts-9 with the gain on 0 and the level maxed to push the boogie a bit and it seems to sound better, but Id like it to be less bumble bee in a canish. Im using GT-75 speakers, perhaps thats it?? any advice would be great!

Second that! V30s sound much better than the 75s with rectos!

It's already a fairly scooped amp, and to add a scooped speaker isn't going to produce good results.

I hear you loud and clear on the Buzzy Single Recto scene.

I'm a single rec owner myself, and I love this amp dearly. Wasn't always like that, though...

From my experiences I can suggest trying some things, in this order:

1) Replace V1 preamp tube with something like a JJ ecc83 or a GT Mullard reissue. Don't have any spare tubes laying around? Then swap places with another preamp tube and see if that changes or reduces the buzz. That will help you identify or eliminate this as a tone prob. It's the first place I'd go in an attempt to reduce preamp fizz or buzz.

Not better? Then...

2) Replace the power tubes

Still fizzy? Ok...

3) Replace the rest of your preamp tube lineup.

Still not happy? Ok...

4) Pull your 6L6's and put in a pair of Yellowjackets and tell me that ***** ain't smooth :twisted:

You can also try a graphic eq just after your guitar, before any gain stages or boosting. You can dial out fizz or bottom flab, or add whatever you like with a decent eq. I use one, and by looking at the sliders it is hardly doing anything, but it makes so much difference to my sensitive Single rec head.

I agree with the other fellows who say that the V30 is perhaps a more appropriate choice for a recto type amp, however all the stuff I mentioned above combined costs several times less than trying new speakers right away, and you may find that your speakers sound a lot better when they are given a pretty tone to amplify.

Good Luck!

M

Give it more output and less channel master. Run the output at about 1:30-2:00 and then dial the channel master accordingly. Keep the gain less than 3:00 (1:30-2:00) and for heaven's sake get rid of the presence....it's a recto for crying out loud :p
Another thing I've noticed is pulling back the guitar volume control helps also (5-6 for rhythm). The speakers may also be the culprit.
But in general more output, less channel master is the key.

dave-o said:
I just got a single recto. Even with the gain way down it still just seems a bit too buzzy and not quite tight enough. Im cranking it pretty good, output at 11:00 in a live band setting. Ive used the settings in the manual and tried some of my own. Right now Im using a ts-9 with the gain on 0 and the level maxed to push the boogie a bit and it seems to sound better, but Id like it to be less bumble bee in a canish. Im using GT-75 speakers, perhaps thats it?? any advice would be great!

Post your settings if you don't mind for each channel and the way all options are set (power, rectifier, etc).

Your speakers aren't helping but the single rec is rather fizzy (as are all rectos in a way). I'm interested where your channel volumes are set, you might not be getting a good mix of post amp distortion which would smooth and mellow by definition

thanks guys, some good advice here. Ill post my settings soon. I have some tubes Ill try and swap around and see what that does.

dave-o said:

After trying several different speakers i've founnd that V30's maybe the "popular choice" but a C-90 can't be beat.

This is kind of a pricey option, but check out voodooamps.com. They made my single recto even better.

Guitarzan said:
You can also swap your V1 tube to a JJ ECC803 or an 5751. This mellows out the preamp fizz.

I put a 5751 in V2 and V3 in my Mark IV. It WILL smooth it out, and you'll still have plenty of gain in that amp.

bscfo1 said:
Guitarzan said:
You can also swap your V1 tube to a JJ ECC803 or an 5751. This mellows out the preamp fizz.

I put a 5751 in V2 and V3 in my Mark IV. It WILL smooth it out, and you'll still have plenty of gain in that amp.

See others agree!!! I submit to you that swapping tubes is clearly cheaper than sending your amp out to be modded.

MasterTrax said:
1) Replace V1 preamp tube with something like a JJ ecc83 or a GT Mullard reissue.

I recommend the Tung-Sol 12AX7 (reissue). It did wonders for my Road King, knocking off that top end buzz and replacing it with creamy smooth midrange.

2) Replace the power tubes

The 6L6 Mesa is currently using (it says 440 on it) has more bark than sizzle. I've been very happy with them.

TheRazMeister said:
Give it more output and less channel master. Run the output at about 1:30-2:00 and then dial the channel master accordingly. Keep the gain less than 3:00 (1:30-2:00) and for heaven's sake get rid of the presence....it's a recto for crying out loud :p
Another thing I've noticed is pulling back the guitar volume control helps also (5-6 for rhythm). The speakers may also be the culprit.
But in general more output, less channel master is the key.

dave-o said:

I must second that response from RazMeister.

In addition to this if you feel that your sound is not tight enough for you then you may want to consider trying a Mark IV. Mine never sounds like bumblebees in a can and I can run it however I want. The Mark IV is tighter sounding and will not flub either unless you force the issue. This was one of the tonal reasons that I chose it over the Recto series amps. To be honest, I rarely ever even put an OD out in front of it either. I used to do that with my Marshalls a lot. Try a Mark IV some time.

Back