mxr 10 eq, isp decimator...in the loop or in front?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
OK, so i'm trying to figure out a few things. I'm having the effects loop in my DR modded to a serial loop.

First off, having that in mind (i will have a serial loop) is the mxr eq more effective in the loop or up front before the amp?
Most people at HCentral seem to prefer it up front, however, i could never tell whether they disliked it in back due to the hassle of using a parallel fx loop. Not to mention, it was hard to relate to someone who was using a line 6. Just wandering how everyone in boogie land is using one.

Secondly, if i was to put it in the loop, should that affect my decision on whether to place an isp decimator up front or in back?

I guess i'm confused because to my knowledge the eq can get a bit noisy...so if someone was to keep the decimator up front and put the eq in loop wouldn't that negate the affectiveness of the decimator?

my goal is to get a little more gain, clarity, and least amount of noise.

In the Mark Series, the built in graphic eq is after the preamp (and after the effects loop I think) but before the power amp, just like if it was an EQ pedal in the effects loop. You can put your eq in the effects loop for your DR as well. Some people even have eq before the preamp and after the preamp (i.e. effects loop if the amp is a head). You can tweak the sound even more this way. Placement of an EQ can add alot but others don't think they add much if anything. Some people never run their Mark IV without using the EQ. Tom Scholz from the band Boston made his signature sound (before making those Rockman units) by putting an MXR EQ pedal before his Marshall. Some people don't like his sound but he definitely made a unique sound using the EQ in his chain. Spend a little time with it and see what you like. When it comes to your sound, it is what you like that matters. So if you think you can get your GrailTone with an EQ in the effects loop, do it.

If you have any noisy (i.e. poorly made) effects in your effects loop you could use a noise suppressor there but it sounds like you only have one Decimator so putting it before the amp is your best bet since you don't want any noise from your guitar pickups to be amplified (which is the reason most people put one in front of the amp). BTW - if you put the Decimator before the amp and still have noise you may need to switch around and/or replace some preamp tubes. The V1 should have the quietest preamp tube in it.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

Bobby

Latest posts

Back