MXR 10 band EQ.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzilla

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought the MXR 10 band EQ at lunch. How do I want to set my controls on my DR? All at 12, or less than that? I am going to run it in the loop. i guess I could just mess around, but I thought one of you could get me started. Thanks!!!

Well I got home and decided to give it a whirl. Holy Crap!!! Amazing!!!

Yeah, I run a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my DR also. I use it only for the clean channel so i can accquire a Fenderish type clean tone and it works perfectly!!!!! Along with my Holy Grail in the loop also.... Its HEAVEN!!!!!!

For those of you running EQ in the loop...modded to series, or parallel with the FX Mix wide open? I use my 10-band for a front end boost (with great results) but have not tried it in the loop because delay and reverb are my go-to fx and I like the way the parallel loop works for them.

I have also been using an MXR 10 band in the loop of my Mark IV for several years now, I prefer it over the built in five band eq.

I've got an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my Rectoverb head and it
works great.
I haven't tried to add any other effects into the loop with the EQ yet, sowe'll see about that.

GE-7 in the loop and yes it is a must for tone shaping and tweaking.

I have the 6-band MXR EQ pedal - luv it either in the Loop or up front. I prefer in the loop slightly.

I researched extensively on how to set my amps EQ pots but found there's no consensus on that so I just set em up for a good fat tone & set the MXR for a specific purpose like clean boost or mid scoop metal or fat lead etc

i love my 10 band mxr in the loop of my LSC but it just took a dump. i thought it was my fx loop but its the mxr. popping scratchy noisy. tried spraying contact cleaner but didnt work. oh well, at least its not my LSC!

What settings do you use on the amp and the eq pedal while using it in the effects loop on a DR. I was thinking of getting one to tighten up my DR

I am not qualified to give you the full scoop, but I will tell you this much. I run my amp pretty flat except for turning the bass down some. Then i EQ it in the loop. It definitely tightens it up a lot! It's a whole new beast now! You will LOVE it! Go get an EQ!

Does it really make that much of a difference? I was considering getting a Mark IV because the DR seems too loose. I wanted to try an eq and a boost before I gave up on it.

I am using a BOSS - EQ-20 Advanced EQ in the loop of my Stiletto. My outlook on a EQ in the loop is to get the sound that I want first out of the amp , then turn on the eq and make little tweaks here and there, very rarely do I move a frequency slider more than 1 notch above flat. Getting into radical curves on the eq only kills the nice natural sound of your wonderful sounding tube amp. Basicaly use the eq to maybe spread a frequency that your bass,middle or treble knob on your amp doesn't hit.

njsurf said:
Does it really make that much of a difference? I was considering getting a Mark IV because the DR seems too loose. I wanted to try an eq and a boost before I gave up on it.

YES - a good EQ pedal will widen your amps tonal versatility greatly, it improves its overall quality, plus gives you a heap of clean boost when required.

I use an mxr 31 band rackmount eq that I bought used on ebay for $29.00 in the loop of my Roadster. When I first got the Roadster I knew it was the best sounding amp I'd ever played through but the bottom end didn't sound quite how I wanted( particularly ch3and 4). I wanted the bass to cut through and thump without being muddy. I read the forums here and decided to try the eq in the loop. This is the best, most inexpensive addition I've made to my rig yet. It was like the amp was covered in a blanket before by comparison. All the frequencies are so well defined now. You hear chords as the sum total of the individual notes ringing clearly not mud and frequency bleed. Dialing out some of the 200 hz range of bass does wonders for tighening up the amp and allows those lower note riff passages to cut through the thickest of mixes.

man I am glad the secret is out!! I almost felt guilty putting an eq in my loop but there are some inherant boogie mid frequencies that need a little tweaking to my ears. I use my GE7 very subtley in the loop. of course i didnt go to the eq until I had spent tons of time tweaking the amp towards the sound I wanted. the eq is just for those frequecies that you cant touch with the onboard eq. once I set it up it works in both channels. I just tuck the eq in the back of my LSC, its my secret weapon!! I liked my sound befor but now I LOVE IT!!

Back