MWAH HA I now have 2 Mesas!! + F-100 reverb question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no soul

Reaction score
I took delivery on a F100 combo, for the lovely price of **** near nothing. Well, technicaly 200 dollars. 200 being the cost of a broken sword, which I fixed up, and traded for said amp. 2 hours of work and 200 bucks make me feel like I seriously dont deserve this amp,,, but its such a beautiful feeling at the same time. :twisted:

I lusted after Mesas ever since I was a young teen and just learning guitar. 7 years later I finally land myself a Recto, and just a lil further down the line Ive got another Mesa!!! Its seriously like a dream..
This might sound idiotic to some of you serious MB colecters, but give me a break, Im a poor college student from a middle class family, considering I bought all this stuff on my own, its a big deal to me!

Anyway, enough of my ranting...

I have reason to believe the reverb on this thing is shot. No matter how I set the reverb knobs or howmany times I hit "reverb" on the footswitch, I get nothing at all. Anybody here have any idea of how I can about diagnosing whats the problem here?

thanks !

I too own two Mesa's and it is great. Congrats!

The only thing I can think of is that there might be a problem with the footswitch itself and while it's plugged in and set to "footswitch" you can't turn it on. Have you tryed unpluging the footswitch and mess with the reverb manually?

One thing I've learned over the years is to always check the setup first because that is usually the problem. Mesa's are built pretty tough so check everything else first before bringing it to a tech. Good luck.

cudbucket: No, the sword isnt worth 5k. I should know, it was made by my familys business. Its a recent production of Japanese Katana that sold for 800 new. It is a bit rare though, and in some circles could easily fetch more than its original price.

G.I.G. said:
I too own two Mesa's and it is great. Congrats!

The only thing I can think of is that there might be a problem with the footswitch itself and while it's plugged in and set to "footswitch" you can't turn it on. Have you tryed unpluging the footswitch and mess with the reverb manually?

One thing I've learned over the years is to always check the setup first because that is usually the problem. Mesa's are built pretty tough so check everything else first before bringing it to a tech. Good luck.

I first thought it was the footswitch, but it doesent work without it either.
Id actually take it straight to Mesa since they are pretty close to me. The other guitarist in my band took her amp to them a few times, and every time she went they gave her new tubes, so I figure at least I'll end up with some new tubes... might as well bring my recto for that matter heh heh :wink:

First disconnect the footswitch. Then turn up the reverb knob to see what happens. Still nothing? Try to swap out preamp tubes one after the other until it works. My guess would be V3 or V4 is bad. If that doesn't do it, have a tech check it out. Hope this helps.

well I kinda fixed the problem.

I took off the rear pannel of the cab to get a better look at things.
I intended to give the pre amp tubes a look at, but besides the verb not working I really had no reason to suspect them not working.

Well as soon as I opened her up I found the culprit, the 2 cables leading from the verb tank to the amp werent even connected. I wasnt sure which to put em in, since there isnt any marking which would make one inclined to try one way over another, so I figured Id go with good ol trial and error. The first way did nothing at all. Well when I stepped on the reverb switch it would make a horrible popping sound and cut off some high end frequency. So inverted the cables, and BAM! Reverb on the clean channel, BUT NOTHING FOR THE LEAD! :cry:

Time to go pay mr. Smith a visit I guess

Latest posts

Back