Muddy Rect-O-Verb Series 2 head w/ 2X12 bottom

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old-guy

Reaction score
Hi guys! I hope you can help me. So I'm in my early 50's, but I still love my music. I bought a new R.V. 50 head w/ 2X12 recto bottom 7 months ago.
I have a Hot Plate hooked up to it. (works great) Playing a Les Paul Std. w/ Burstbucker Pro pups and PRS Custom 24 w/ HFS & Vintage pups.
I've read alot of your messages and have gotten alot of help and advice from them. My problem is with the "clean channel." Just can't seem to get rid of the "muddy sound." Here's what I've tried with and without the Hot Plate. Gain @ 10:00 to 2:00 (nothing extreme) Output levels from 9:00 up to 1:00 (thought maybe I wasn't getting enough speaker vibration at lower levels) master volume 11:00 to 1:00 bass 10:30, mid 8:00, treble 11:00, presence 10:30. I lowered the pick-up height on my guitars, I've used the PRS with the coil tapping for a single coil affect. I've lowered the guitar volume to 5. Still muddy. I'm thinking of swapping out the tubes. Even though it's a new amp, it was made in August 2002 and came with the 430 6L6 Sovtec tubes which I read Mesa doesn't use anymore because of problems with them. It's not "real bad" but I can hear it and it drives me CRAZY. So what do you think guys? Swap out the tubes? Any other suggestions? I'm just an "in-home player" but the sound is real important to me. The more I play the more it bothers me. Thanks for your help!

1) Is the cab tilted or pointing at your feet?

2) If the amp is older, the tube may be worn. Particularily since you're using a Hotplate and have been able to drive them harder. I use a Hotplate and chew through tubes every 9 months or so (my master is permanantly set to either 1:00 or 2:30.

3) I find the trick to getting a good "clean" sound (with very little overdrive) is to run the channel master quite low and my guitar's volume down slightly.

But honestly, it sounds like it's time for new tubes. My cleans blew when my tubes were shot....it seems like no matter how far I turned the bass down both channels were undefined mud. I recommend Svetlana's, but there's a few tube threads around with other options should you search them.

Hello old-guy,

Your treble setting is way to low. Just remember the treble control is the first in the tone control chain. If you have it to low it lets to much bass pass through. I would say this is the cause of muddy response.

Try the treble at 1 to 3 o'clock for clean sounds. I would also have the presence alot higher than what you are using. A good bet would to match the position of the treble control and tweak from there.

If that doesn't work look into new tubes or a possible room resonance problem

Broken said:
Hello old-guy,

Your treble setting is way to low. Just remember the treble control is the first in the tone control chain. If you have it to low it lets to much bass pass through. I would say this is the cause of muddy response.

Try the treble at 1 to 3 o'clock for clean sounds. I would also have the presence alot higher than what you are using. A good bet would to match the position of the treble control and tweak from there.

If that doesn't work look into new tubes or a possible room resonance problem

+1

Latest posts

Back