Mounting a fan in a Mk 4 Rackmount.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the back of the front panel there are a couple screw studs sticking out that are in about the same position as where your screws would be that would attach the fan mounts to the head cabinet. Use nuts to hold your brackets to the studs. This is pretty simple actually provided that you didn't already remove your brackets from your fan. If you did, then you have to make adjustments to how your fan is attached to the brackets for best alignment. If you do not have the machine screw studs on the back of the front panel you can mark the bracket locations on the front panel then drill holes for small machine screws to pass through. If you do not wish to add the holes for machine screws you can use some angle metal to create a new bracket and mounting system inside your rack. This would then be completely custom. If you mount your Mark IV in the bottom most portion of a greater than 4 space rack or even in just a 4 space rack you can just make a little riser for your fan to be attached to that will allow air to pass below the fan so that you still achieve enough airflow. The coolest air will be in the bottom of the rack though you may even want to use air from outside of the rack and so you may want the air to be blown in from the back instead of the conventional way that Mesa usually uses from beneath. If you so choose to bring in air from the back you can make a bracket that will support the fan. Just be sure to leave enough room to be able to access your tubes, reverb cabling, fan power, and satellite eq external switching extension jack (A version) if necessary.

I am glad to have been able to help. I pondered the exact same thing for a while when I was trying to get the rackmount together. Right now I am currently in a SUS-4 combo cabinet. I will probably go back to the head cabinet though because I now have the chassis straps that I had needed. I don't have a rack case to mount my rackmount into right now or I would put it in there for a while.

Did your rackmount have the fan mounting screws attached to the rear of the front panel? I think that Mesa is selling two versions currently. One has the fan and the other doesn't. In the pricing sheet there is a difference. I am assuming that the one without the fan still has the mounting screws though. It wouldn't be cost effective to make them with and without the moutning screws.

mine did have two mounting screws on the back of the front panel(on an metal plate).

I never saw another rackmount so id dont know if there are multiple versions.

Back