Motorcycle owners on this forum?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey RyanDM, I've never known anyone who actually owns a Vespa, but I bet that it must be a kick to ride.

A very long time ago, I worked in sales at a motorcycle dealership, and a couple of the guys in the shop had a Yamahopper (moped) project bike. They put a tuned pipe on it, cut the wire to governor, and found that the 80cc head from one of the little dirt bikes bolted on to the bottom end. I took it out for a run and was passing cars at 55 MPH on the Expressway. It got a lot of surprised looks. These guys were dirt bike riders and it was pretty funny to see that thing catch air on a bump in the road. Too bad we never got videos of that.

Brewski said:
Hey RyanDM, I've never known anyone who actually owns a Vespa, but I bet that it must be a kick to ride.

A very long time ago, I worked in sales at a motorcycle dealership, and a couple of the guys in the shop had a Yamahopper (moped) project bike. They put a tuned pipe on it, cut the wire to governor, and found that the 80cc head from one of the little dirt bikes bolted on to the bottom end. I took it out for a run and was passing cars at 55 MPH on the Expressway. It got a lot of surprised looks. These guys were dirt bike riders and it was pretty funny to see that thing catch air on a bump in the road. Too bad we never got videos of that.

HaHa. That's awesome. It sounds like a good time. I am sure it got some strange looks! I think people give me a second glance as I am passing traffic and accelerating quicker than "makes sense" for a "scooter" :) I have also heard that with a tuned pipe on mine I could be doing wheelies in second gear but I am thinking 55mph is already fast enough on an 8inch wheel!

HaHa. That's awesome. It sounds like a good time. I am sure it got some strange looks! I think people give me a second glance as I am passing traffic and accelerating quicker than "makes sense" for a "scooter" I have also heard that with a tuned pipe on mine I could be doing wheelies in second gear but I am thinking 55mph is already fast enough on an 8inch wheel!

Oh to be young and foolish again! HAHAHA!

Yeah, I hear ya about going 55 with an eight inch wheel. I bet that if you get a good stiff side wind, that it moves you around a bit. I rode a Yamaha Riva once and the wind hit me from the side. I changed lanes with even trying! Anyway, be safe on it. :D

RyanDM said:
How about any Vespa owners? :) I have a fully restored 1965 Vespa VBB. It's a blast. 4 speed, 150cc ~55 mph top speed. Good times!
are you talking about italian Vespa by Piaggio???

Been riding all my life. Here's my latest HD - a 2005 Road King 95"

RK_Dec2005_6.jpg

God is good!

RyanDM said:
ytse_jam said:
RyanDM said:
How about any Vespa owners? :) I have a fully restored 1965 Vespa VBB. It's a blast. 4 speed, 150cc ~55 mph top speed. Good times!
You Bet!
woah, i still own one from late '70s! the model is "50 special" and it's the most famous here in italy. When i was a teenager (not so many years ago actually) i always went around with my vespa. I've done several mods to it, not last the 115cc engine and 19/19 carburetor... it reached 100km/h! mine looked similar to this (even if of a different color):
1.jpg

ytse_jam said:
RyanDM said:
ytse_jam said:
You Bet!
woah, i still own one from late '70s! the model is "50 special" and it's the most famous here in italy. When i was a teenager (not so many years ago actually) i always went around with my vespa. I've done several mods to it, not last the 115cc engine and 19/19 carburetor... it reached 100km/h! mine looked similar to this (even if of a different color):
1.jpg

Very cool! So you are the original owner then? That's pretty slick. Here is a picture of my Vespa. It's been restored and I had an LML 5 port reed valve 150cc engine put in and it's a joy to ride. I often ride it to work...

Vespa_Happiness.jpg

wow, great vespa, it looks more "historical" than mine! it surely would have a great value here in italy, don't know in usa. I usually ride my vespa only once a year and not on the main roads, because here in italy in the last years police has become more watchful... mine should be a 50cc model but it's completely modded. About five years ago a friend of mine had his vespa sequestered by police and he never saw it anymore (other than paying a 2500 euros mulct)... :cry:
maybe i'll find out some photos of mine, so i can post them!

I ride a black/silver 2004 Yamaha FZ6. Looking to swap it for a Ducati Monster S2R. Hopefully will hit some twisties this weekend.

Latest posts

Back