Motorcycle owners on this forum?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started in '91 with a Honda 750 Interceptor. Way too much as a 1st bike but I got used to it. Took it to the track once and got it into the 12.8's. With a pro it ran 11.6's in a mag.

Got a new 1200 Sporty in '95. Took it to the track and got it in the 13.8 range. Dont drag with buckhorns, they kept ending up near the tank after every launch.

Got a '92 Fxlr(lowrider custom) about a year later and still have it. Dont think I'll ever race this one.

2003 Suzuki Katana 600 GSXF600 Kan-O-Tuna. Had it while I was an undergraduate at Arizona State.

I did some pretty serious (and stupid) stunting in my day (yes, on the Katana), but I unfortunately no longer ride because NJ (where I live now) is not as biker-friendly as Arizona was. I miss it every day, but I don't think that I'll ever get another bike as long as I live in NJ.

I've had a BMW R1100RS for about five years now, and recently sold my Victory TC touring bike since we don't get a lot of touring in anymore since having a child.

Numerous jap bikes before that.

'03 Yellow & Black Yamaha FZ1. Had it since new - lots of mods.

Great bike! Fast, comfortable, and handles almost as good as a repli-racer.

uberscott said:
'05 Triumph Speedmaster - braving the daily commute into the centre of London and back!

That must a real treat each day with traffic. My favorite of the commuting set, is the angry soccer mom who is driving a mini-van/SUV and is on her cell phone. I've had more close calls with them than just about any other type of driver. It sure does keep you on your toes.

I did a day trip to to see an old friend who was visiting from out of state. It was over 350 miles round trip. I was very happy to get off the bike when I finally got back home. If you're not riding distance regularly, going that far on a whim will give you a sudden dose of reality. The enjoyment factor can fade quickly! HAHAHAHA! The first 70 miles you're thinking that this is great. After 85 miles, your thinking yeah this is OK. After 90 miles you think gee it'd be a great time to stop. After 100 miles you're desperately looking for an exit because you've hit that point of saturation and have developed of a case of square buns! That's not the bike's fault, it's just my lack of riding more.

I've thought about getting a Corbin saddle, as I live within about 50 miles of their operation and could have one made on a weekend. I'm not completely convinced, though, that harder is better when it comes to a seat. Does anyone out there have any experience with them?

Brewski said:
That must a real treat each day with traffic. My favorite of the commuting set, is the angry soccer mom who is driving a mini-van/SUV and is on her cell phone. I've had more close calls with them than just about any other type of driver. It sure does keep you on your toes.

Too right! It's great to ride home after a day's work thinking about nothing else but the road though.

Those SUV mums are pretty bad alright - and their number grows by the day! We also have a breed of particularly fun halfwits called 'white van men'. They are well-known for their complete disregard for anything else on the road, but particularly motorbikes. Prone to doing a u-turn without indicating... Fun!

All that said though, I still arrive each evening grinning like an idiot :)

uberscott said:
Brewski said:

Too right! It's great to ride home after a day's work thinking about nothing else but the road though.

Those SUV mums are pretty bad alright - and their number grows by the day! We also have a breed of particularly fun halfwits called 'white van men'. They are well-known for their complete disregard for anything else on the road, but particularly motorbikes. Prone to doing a u-turn without indicating... Fun!

All that said though, I still arrive each evening grinning like an idiot :)

Yeah, I hear ya. "White van men", that's a good one! We have our share of them, too. It's like, if you don't get cut off or infringed on in some way, you almost feel like you've been cheated out of the entire experience. :lol:

Add to that, the BMW auto crowd. They have a mentality of "Oh, I had to sign a contract that states that I must drive faster than everyone else at all cost, in order to purchase the car". I do enjoy wicking it up from 0-60 MPH between lights every once in a while with them. I know that I'm old enough to know better, but it is somehow satisfying to see 'em look like they're backing up at 60 MPH in my rear view mirror. I like to see the look of frustration from those who don't understand power to weight ratios and can't understand how they got taken in a hole shot. Hehehehe!

Fun people try new things as they wander through life, and certain things are just so good they stick - biking is in the later camp for me (like guitar!).

I started with motorcross as a kid ...I've never done any roadracing.

I still try to get a good long ride in. This year I did the trip from Toronto to the Florida Keys on my FJR supersport. The Appalacians (sp?!) make for fine riding. I loved it.

I started with motorcross as a kid ...I've never done any roadracing.

The first dirt bike that I ever rode was a Harley-Davidson 125 that my brother had. The throttle was either ON or OFF. I hit a small mogul and the throttle shot to ON, and as the rear of the bike left my derrier behind in mid air, both the bike and I touched ground at the same time, and I was too frozen to let go of it. I chased that bike for a good 50 yards before I got it back in the OFF position. So much for dirt bikes!!! I've ridden street bikes ever since and almost dabbled in road racing. I didn't have a very good medical plan at the time and decided better of it. Now I'm too old for squidding. So I enjoy my riding within a fairly moderate window for speed.

OK Doooods...yet another update.

This Saturday, Sept. 23rd, me and Mrs. Barchetta are striking off on our "Great Grand Canyon Adventure"...New Orleans to Grand Canyon and back in 11 days!

Our stops, night by night will be: San Antonio, TX...El Paso, TX...Flagstaff, AZ...Grand Canyon Village, AZ (2 nights)....Silverton, CO (2 nights)...Tucumcari, NM....Denton, TX....Natchitoches, LA....then HOME.

I have made this or similar trips out west many times before, but this will be the first western trip for Mrs. Barchetta.

Update when I return if anyone is interested.

RB

That should be a great trip. The misses and I did Birmingham to the GC about three years ago on the Victory and had a blast.

The one regret we had is that we didn't make the trip up to the Hoover Dam while we out there.

Hey Red, Have a safe and fun trip!!!! I hope that you and your better half have a great time!!! Cool evenings and warm days should make it pretty enjoyable. If this is her first long trip, don't try for an iron butt award! You'll pay for it!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

In any case, enjoy!

Here is my overdue update....Me and the Mrs. went 3732 miles round trip. Great weather (only a couple miles of very light rain)...25 degrees in Colorado on Sept. 30th when we left that morning. Great ride, tons of great pics.

heres one:

PICT0155.jpg

Rock on.

RB

Nice photo Red. 25 degrees, huh? Brrrr. That's a little cold for my blood, although, I bet that it warmed up pretty quick during the day.

How about any Vespa owners? :) I have a fully restored 1965 Vespa VBB. It's a blast. 4 speed, 150cc ~55 mph top speed. Good times!

Latest posts

Back