Most Versatile Mesa Amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
What is the most versatile mesa amp ever made. One that can blast the metal, catch the blues, power the jazz, and give you lush cleans? Does it exist?

I think I know the answer but I want to hear your opinions. Thanks.[/i]

To me they're the Road King II or the Mark IV, it depends on the (mainly lead) tone you like more.
Quite objectively i could say the Road King is supposed to have the best Mesa clean tone ever, and you surely know how the brutal recto distortion is voiced, which however is pretty versatile since the progressive linkage (you can associate different power tubes to any channel).
Mark IV has got very good cleans (many think not at the level of Road King's ones) and a lead tone to die for. Mark IV is the way to go also if you like fast heavy-metal rhythms and if you want high gain while maintaining notes' definition and clarity.

Here are my nominees:

Obviously, the Mark IV. This is the amp that the phrase, "All the bells and whistles..." was designed for!

The Mark III, in 112 EVM, reverb, Simul-Class form, along with a 112 Theile. Read the manual and just set it to the sweet spots. Pickup a Strat, Tele, LP or 335 and just play your *** off. Don't worry if it sounds good--if you can play, it will. Simpler than the Mark IV.

Need simpler? The Mark IIC+. The holiest of all the holies. Trust me, it will have have you shouting, "HOLY COW!" in no time. (Or more likely, "HOLY $#%& !!!!")

The Dual Calibres: DC-2, DC-3, DC-5 and DC-10. I think the DC-3, and the DC-5 are probably the most usable for most people. There's not much you can't do with these amps. And like the rest of the 100-watt 212 combos that followed the DC-10--these are snarling, powerful beasts that can level entire city blocks! EAR PROTECTION, if you know what's good for you!

The Heartbreaker 212 is what a modern Twin should be. WAAY too much amp for most garage band semi-pros to appreciate--this amp is LETHAL, if not used properly. Really glorious though, when cranked.

The Trem-O-Verb. Still one of Mesas most popular amps. Remember the "Guitar Player" review? Something about, "...the Trem-O-Verb captures 90% of the vibe of the great Fenders, Marshalls AND Vox amps..."

When a great player like Kevin Eubanks of 'The Tonight Show" plays an amp like the Blue Angel, you have to figure there is a reason. You want clean? You want luscious? You want small amp Class A goodness and can't decide between 6V6 and EL84s? Look no further.

Finally, the Lone Star--take your pick. Do you need the headroom of the Classic 6L6 version; or the Special chime of EL84s? I think the book is still out on these; though enough people have raved about the great clean tones, the improved reverb and the amazing flexibility to make them "instant" classics. Any player looking for a new, modern amp needs to play these.

And while I love my Maverick 212s, this amp won't make this list--it's not a "metal" amp. It does get kind of a Plexi Marshall tone--so who knows what the right pedal could do?

And the Rectos will never be known for their clean tones--but did I ever tell you about the time I sat down with a Dual Rectifier and a Deluxe Reverb--and got the Recto to sound like the Deluxe? Only, it kinda sounded like a 500-pound Deluxe!

So, these are some of my favorites--what's yours?

Bill

Latest posts

Back