MOP tone questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
rabies said:
yeah so I've been listening to metallica MOP in my car a lot recently. sure others have asked this but oh well...

I figure they used some track layering and other recording techniques for that album, but basically, is it the Mark IIC+ they used for rhythm AND leads? I don't care about the cleans for this discussion.

Did they have their IIC+ amp (and whatever other amp(s)) modded?

And is it possible to get that RAW, percussive MOP edge with a Mark IV and I'm guessing EMG loaded guitar?

yes to all of the above.

Elpelotero said:

Star_Trek_watermelon.gif

I do believe the guitars were Gibby Vs and a Jackson Rhodes and the pickups weren't EMGs until AJFA.

I don't know for sure but solos could have been recorded with the ADA preamp... I think also EMG's play a great part in making the tone rawer. And I'm pretty sure they used an external graphic or parametric EQ. They did quadruple-tracking and a fifth track just for palm muted in the center.

However the last year on this board a guy posted a link to the forum of the recording sudios in Denmark where Metallica made MOP: the producer Rasmussen was the admin of the forum and he described really well how the recording was made. There were also some images of the sheets where the amp settings were written.

there is alot more to that tone than just the amps.
those parametrics do alot.

also, the pre amps on that $700,000 SSL board everything was ran into does alot as well.

JimAnsell said:

also, the pre amps on that $700,000 SSL board everything was ran into does alot as well.

You are mistaken my good sir. It's all in Kirk Hammett's little fingers.

phyrexia said:
JimAnsell said:

You are mistaken my good sir. It's all in Kirk Hammett's little fingers.
I think Kirk's got a nice left hand (the reason for being the soloist) but his right hand is not at the same level (probably it is the contrary with James).

http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/khiseq.shtml
http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/jayhiseq.shtml

MOP was not recorded with EMG pickups. GAWD! They used them later on starting in 1987 like I previously said.

ytse_jam said:
I think Kirk's got a nice left hand (the reason for being the soloist) but his right hand is not at the same level (probably it is the contrary with James).

I've wondered lately if James isn't playing the solos on newer stuff.

phyrexia said:
ytse_jam said:

I've wondered lately if James isn't playing the solos on newer stuff.

Actually James' solo on Orion is my favorite part of the song.

Ultron said:
careful....if word gets out, you'll crash the IIC+ market! :shock:

Not for me :D . The C+ is WAAAYYY more than Metallica and Dream Theater. The amp has somehow got associated with the idea that it has only this lead sound. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If you are strictly a metalhead, buy a MkIII or IV and save the money. And sell me your old Boogies cheap :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Latest posts

Back