• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mods for sale!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely understand and understood what you are saying. I wouldn't send my amp to a stranger if I didn't feel comfortable either. That's why I am more than willing to answer any questions that I can as well as I can. I'm not the "Be all, end all," tech. I enjoy working on amps, and Mesa amps more so than most other brands, and would like to get more of this type of work. My day job, Electrical and Smart Home Contractor, takes me away from home far too much and I would like to start leaning more toward working from home on a permanent basis in the not so distant future. Plus, the economy sucks for Electrical work right now.

Anyway,

I don't change any of the Power Supply except the addition of the bias pot. On most amps, this is a matter of replacing fixed resistors with variable ones. On older amps, I usually replace the Bias Capacitors to ensure that the amp is operating at it's peak. I also recommend a complete power supply cap job if the amp is over 20 years old or so.

Usually, when the bias goes up a bit, the Plate voltage goes down. The amp actually operates at a much happier point because it is idling the way it should for the tubes that are installed in the amp.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Ice Cubes." If you are referring to the relays that handle most of the switching functions of the amp, I do not usually replace those. Only when they go bad.

Thanks for understanding. Ice cubes was my attepmt, poor attempt, to cleverly discuss the power tubes that are stock.
Glad to hear the power goes down. I'm mechanically challenged and completely ignorant to electric stuff.
My LSS 2X12 is a 2006 model. I like it, but it teases me with what I feel it can be! I'm not sure what it will take to get the maximum tone from it, but ... . I spoke with Trace from Voodoo amps. He does an upgrade of caps, transformers, and the choke, but at nearly 1K plus shipping that seems irrational. I have trouble comprehending the benefit being worth that cost!
What do you think of the Mercury Magnetics Power Transformer upgrade?
I recently purchased a 5V4 Mullard rectifier tube and am thinking about replacing the 5Y3. Any thoughts?

Ahhh! That makes sense. Being an electrician, I always think of Ice Cubes as a type of industrial relay. Sorry.

The amp is Cathode Biased, so you can try any brand of EL-84 you like.
You can also use 2 different duets, might sound best if you put 1 duet in the middle 2 sockets and the other in the outer 2 sockets.
You can also use 4 different EL-84's.

Cathode Bias is a "Self-Biasing" setup, meaning that the tubes will find their own bias point.

I would start there as far as experimenting. It may also be a good idea to call Bob at Euortubes or Doug (can't remember his company off hand, must be that I need more coffee) and explain the tone you are looking for and what amp you are using.

I have an LSS 1x12 that I am very hesitant to do anything with. It has the stock Black Shadow C90, which is a very stiff speaker. It works well for me on the clean settings because I like stiff cleans that are spanky and seem to jump out of the amp.

As for Trace, he has made a very good name for himself, and in some ways, I would like to do the same. I do not want to offer generic mods though, I am seeking to become the "Go-to" guy for signature sounds. I want to create individual masterpieces of tone.

I sold a Heartbreaker to a guy in Texas. He had 3 already and was interested in my amp because I had moddified it. I had added a Bias pot, strengthened the Reverb and taken the muddyness out of the Lust channel. He liked it so much that he wanted me to mod all of his others because it had a very distinct tone that none of his old ones did.

Here is what I would do if it were my amp:

Write down exactly what it is that you are looking for and cannot find in the amp. Play with the amp and try to get the tone you are looking for. Be as articulate as you can when describing the things that you are looking to find.

Then

Before doing anything else, play with your settings on just 1 channel. Think outside the box, or maybe use the factory settings as a good starting point and go from there. I started with the 1st factory setting for the Clean channel, then, I raised the Master to about 1:00. Still nothing. Then, I turned the Output past 9:00 and something magical happend, the amp seemed to come alive at about 10:00 on the Output. Some minor tone tweaks here and there, and I actually wake up now just itching to play my guitar. It has been years since I felt that way.

Write down your settings so you don't forget them. PM them to me or post them here. Maybe the problem is the guitar or the way you are setting the amp up.

Try some new tubes, experiment with Preamp Tubes. I had a Soldano that did not like having all the same brand of tubes. I ended up with a Sovtek 12AX7WPS in V1 (which surprised the hell out of me because I can't stand Sovteks), Electro Harmonix (can't stand them either) in V2, JJ in all the rest of the sockets.

If that does not do the trick.

Call Ted Weber (sometimes he does not answer the phone, we get a lot of salesmen calling here and I screen my calls too), he's a great guy and very knowledgable. Tell him what amp you are looking for, he might not be familiar with the Lonestar, (his company is Weber Vintage Sound Technology) but if you tell him it's a 30 watt Cathode Biased EL-84 amp based on a Deluxe Reverb circuit, he will understand.
Ask him what speakers he would recommend. Speakers make a world of difference, and are by far cheaper than upgrading transformers.

Lastly,

Transformers,
I have spoken to Paul many times at Mercury Mag.
He is a really cool guy and seems to only have the best interests when it comes to tone. My old Soldano had Mercury as stock transformers and it sounded freaking awesome.
I wouldn't worry about the choke and power transformer just yet. If you end up changing these, you will never get your money back, so you better make sure this is the amp for you.
I have changed the Output Transformers on a few Mesa amps, here is what I found:

DC-2: I bought this amp on Ebay several years ago when I 1st started fixing amps. It supposedly had a bad OT. I played it at bedroom volumes and it seemed to work fine, then one day, I cranked it and the amp started making horrible noises. I took the transformer apart and what do you know? It had some burned wires in it.

I changed the tranny to a Heyboer that I got from Mojotone, which was about 4 times larger than the original one and sounded like it was 4 times larger. The amp instantly had more headroom than any other DC-2 on the market.

Many Fender players have been known to put larger "Iron" in their amps to get more headroom or a larger clean tone. If you want more breakup, this is not a good mod for you.

I actually think that the transformers in most Mesa amps are very high quality and the OT in the LSS is no exception. It is huge and heavy, which is a good sign. A Mercury might sound better, but if you go to their website, you will see that they are anywhere from $200 to $300. Lots of money.

I have modded so many amps thinking that I could make them work for me. Some of them (Heartbreaker head - work in progress, but makes me smile) do, and some of them don't. Some of them simply weren't designed to do what I wanted them to.

Try the things I mentioned above, and let me know if any of it helped or made sense. I gotta go get more coffee so I can stop rambling. :lol: [/code]

I have already switched out my speakers with Celection Golds.
I'm in the process of gathering preamp tubes. I have two Teslas (not JJ's) and two NOS rectifier tubes, one a 5Y3 and the other a 5V4, both labeled as Mullards (some question about the 5Y3). Then power tubes. I was thinking about the Waterford valves cryo Harma or GE's. I'm been communicating on another forum at this site in an effort to learn more about tubes and tone before making any purchases. In the end tone is subjective and personal. I just don't want to waste any $$ in my quest to get the best from my amp.
As to sound, I'm look for clean 3D sounds that will sustain for days and good headroom. I want to play blues, classic rock, and some Chritian and Country sounds based on the previous platforms. More along the lines of Gilmour, "Baker Street", Albert King, Freddy King, etc. The issue is I want to do this with humbuckers. Single coils may work easier, but ... .

In the end tone is subjective and personal

:lol: That's the problem with cookie cutter mods. Everybody has a different idea of what they are looking for.

I guess I should have read your sig. I would have seen the Golds there.

What humbuckers are in your LP?

I've noticed the following:
US Strat Deluxe with Rio Grande Tall Boys & Muy Grande in the bridge gets me some really nice blues tones and great clean tones. It sounds horrible when I have it in position 2 or 4 and have the Drive engaged and turned up.

McCarty with stock pickups sounds great no matter where the amp is set and on both channels. These pickups are fairly low output though.

Custom 22 with Duncan Alnico II in the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge. This guitar makes the amp overdrive like crazy, but sounds great when doing so.

It may be that you need the LSC instead. I noticed the LSC had way more headroom and did not break up nearly as early as the LSS. :lol: That's why I traded it for the LSS.

What exactly is the amp missing for you?

I don't know that my amp is missing anything, I just would like more. Your diccussion of changing the bias and a retube should do everything I need. I want a badass EL-84 and it's close, but ... .
I'm looking at a Meteor II or a Mojave Plexi-45 as well, but would consider a LSC. That may be what I need for the buckers.
My LP has the standard 490 R, 498 T hummers. I may need different humbuckers or caps. It can be a little muddy.

:oops: I have to apologize, I looked at the LSC and the OT is big. I just had my LSS open and the OT is pretty small. It sounds really great to me, but an upgrade would definitely add some oomph!

Sorry about that.

As for the buckers, does the amp break up too early? Is it too punchy? Or is it a mud issue that has you thinking about something else?

Have you tried other guitars with humbuckers to see if it sounds the way you like with lower or higher output pickups?

I really don't like the pickups that are in most LP's. The Neck seems too muddy and the Bridge seems too thin.

If you have a friend with a McCarty or a Custom 22 (mine originally had Dragon II's in it) you might try the amp with these guitars. That would tell you if it's the pickups or the amp that isn't doing it for you.

I've sold a couple of amps that didn't do it for me, only to realize that it was the guitar or pickups.

Thanks. I do think it's the pickups as well. Scott Lentz thought it was the caps instead and I may have him change them, but the stock pickups are not what they should as the neck is muddy and bridge can be thin at times. I plan to get another guitar soon, an Eastman 185 MX (335 copy) with Armstrong humbuckers. I may look to others and try their axe on this amp to be sure, but I really think its a Gibson thing!
As to my amp I really do like it. I just think it could be a little better. Kind of an old tinker thing. I do want to be cost effective and not stupid.

I assume you're talkin about your LSS? I may well speak to you later about resetting the bias, but for now Rock on.

:DWell:

About 12 people asked me about heating up R2. So I came up with a mod to add another tube to the R2 channel. It basically turns R2 into the same amount of gain as the Lead channel.

At this point, it can be custom tailored a little to provide more or less bass and mids, so that there is a distinction between the channels, or it can be an exact clone. R2 can be set with different gain settings than the Lead channel.

This way, the Lead channel can truly become just the Lead channel if you want it that way.

Let me know if you are interested. It should run about $250.

I have to add another tube and the circuitry for 2 more gain stages in R2. I'll also have to use the Slave or something else for a Gain pot.

:D Wish I would have thought of this when I had my Mark IV!

Hi Monsta-Tone and boogieman90,

Great exchange... I appreciate your suggestions, Monsta-Tone, and I hear what you are saying boogieman90.

For me, the defining sound moment with my stock LSS 1x12 came when I played it using an ESP 400AT that had Seymour Duncans, specifically an SH-4 in the bridge and an SH-1N in the neck. I had tried Les Pauls and other Les Paul copies but no magic. This guitar, with these pickups, along with some LSS control re-adjustments, yielded some sounds that I am still enjoying today, and like Monsta-Tone, enjoying on a recurring, daily basis!

I have since replicated this sound with other Seymour Duncan equipped pickups like the JB, in other Les Paul type guitars, and this is even better, but the ESP 400AT experience just reminded me of the central role that pickups can play in the search for that elusive "tone"!

:D That's how I feel about my McCarty. It just seems to sound great with any amp.

My Strat still doesn't sound the way I want, but I'm working on that.

That's the great thing about tube amps. They are very tweakable, both with the controls and the components.

Thanks,
I'm considering some changes to my Paul to see if this brings "the Magic". It's there and teases me at times. It is getting closer. I've spoken with several guitar builders to gather ideas. Scott Lentz suggested that the caps need to be changed as Gibson uses inferior quality caps. I am looking at some aftermarket Humbuckers as well.
I do like Monsta-Tone's suggestions about warming this puppy up as Mesa's are traditionally cold. After I complete my NOS changes in the next 3 months we'll see.

I PM'd you over a year ago about my DC3 combo, (divorce and a ton of money later) it's a continuing saga... I've taken it to two techs, bought a new speaker, put new tubes in it, and still got the same problem. The tech in Tucson said it passed the "bench test." It's got a "flubby" sound like a bad speaker. When I plug an exteral speaker to it, it works fine..I gig the DC as my favorite amp over my MKIV. the brand new vintage 30 speaker I put in the cab has the same sound. after trial and error, I banged on the amp while playing with an external cab, and got the same problem. SO it sounds like a loose tube retainer or socket, vibration is causing something to interfere with the sound. I hate hauling around the DC3 combo with an extra cab, .... I'm tired of messing with it. I'd really like to get it sounding right. I'd also like the master volume mod done too. I'm closer than a lot of others in the forum. Down in Sierra Vista, Az, our band is playing the Bisbee Blues festival (I use the MKIV for the outdoor stuff). I know that Silver City has a happening blues festival too. We probably know some of the same musicians. PM me.. I WANT MY DC3. thanks, kg

www.train-wreck.com

Latest posts

Back