Modern day DC-5?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Mesa makes a modern head that sounds like the old DC series?

I have a DC-5 and I'm looking for a new model in case my DC-5 gives up. I've tried the single rec, lonestar and express but they sound too dark.

If you really want to keep the DC-5 tone and are concerned about durability why not take your amp to a good tech for a once over. He may recommend replacing some caps and repair bad solder points. With maintenance I don't know why you would ever have any major trouble.

That being said, I'd love to see a DC reissue but I'm not holding my breath.

Jimmy said:
Does anyone know if Mesa makes a modern head that sounds like the old DC series?

I have a DC-5 and I'm looking for a new model in case my DC-5 gives up. I've tried the single rec, lonestar and express but they sound too dark.

In case a Boogie "gives up"?!! That's pretty rare, even for an amp used constantly. Any good-quality amp can stand yeeears of road use, and even then typically gives signs to "giving up" before they just quit. Witness old Fenders; look at old Marks; a "good" amp isn't going to give up on you. So if you like the tone of your DC (a hem, they rock hard!! ...unbiased editorial ;) ), just carry spare tubes and keep tabs on its consistency. Not much "regular maintenance to be done, but should it require any upkeep, do it and you're good for another decade :D

Edward

Jimmy said:

In case a Boogie "gives up"?!! That's pretty rare, even for an amp used constantly. Any good-quality amp can stand yeeears of road use, and even then typically gives signs to "giving up" before they just quit. Witness old Fenders; look at old Marks; a "good" amp isn't going to just give up on you, let alone the tank-like solidity of Mesas. So if you like the tone of your DC (a hem, they rock hard!! ...unbiased editorial ;) ), just carry spare tubes, put her in a flight case if need be, and keep tabs on its consistency. Not much "regular maintenance" to be done, but should it require any upkeep, do it and you're good for another decade :D

Edward

Well, I feel a lot better now. I love my DC-5 and wouldn't want to ever perform without. It has been extremely durable over the years and I guess nothing can really go wrong with it that can't be fixed. Unless it falls off a stage??

Thanks!

Jimmy said:
...It has been extremely durable over the years and I guess nothing can really go wrong with it that can't be fixed. Unless it falls off a stage??

Thanks!

Depends ...how high is that stage? :D

Edward

Hi Edward, you seem to know a lot about the DC Series. I need a recommendation for a 4x12 cabinet. I presently have a Fender DT412 cabinet loaded with stock GT12 100's.

My DC-5 head sounds really nice through the fender cab - great crunch, nice high gain leads. Can't really complain about the mids and highs. The bottom is not bad but I'm wondering if a Mesa cabinet would handle the lower end a little better. I'm looking for a thicker, controlled, tight bottom with lots of thump!

Thanks,

Jim

Jimmy said:
Hi Edward, you seem to know a lot about the DC Series. I need a recommendation for a 4x12 cabinet. I presently have a Fender DT412 cabinet loaded with stock GT12 100's.

My DC-5 head sounds really nice through the fender cab - great crunch, nice high gain leads. Can't really complain about the mids and highs. The bottom is not bad but I'm wondering if a Mesa cabinet would handle the lower end a little better. I'm looking for a thicker, controlled, tight bottom with lots of thump!

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Well, there are lots of folks here who know about these great amps ..."Monsta Tone" is just one that comes immediately to mind. But yes, I have played mine for almost a decade now and can tell you not only is she my #1 "play out" amp (which says a lot considering I have a MKIII head that I dearly love), but she has been rock-solid reliable every single time.

So 412 recommendations ...don't have one :) Simply because I like travelling light. Besides, I never play anywhere that would "justify" (in my mind, anyway) lugging a 412 (guess I'm not that good cause no big places will have me play :) ).

But in direct answer to your need for solid, tight, bottom, easy. Get a Thiele cab loaded with an EVM12L. Perch that bad boy on top of your DC5 combo, and stand back! Not only will you be amazed at the tight, authoritative, and focused bottom end, the top end clarity is stunning: crisp w/o being harsh. The EVMs crisp top compliments the combo's MC90's warmer upper-mid voice perfectly, IMHO. Stand your band mates and friends 15' away and have them close their eyes ...they will "think 412." Honestly, no exaggeration. A single EVM-loaded Thiele cab along with your combo is an impressive tonal arsenal whose tone is much bigger than it "should" be given its "modest" footprint. If I thought I could truly benefit from a 412, I guess I'd consider it, but I've never found my tone (and that glorious tight thump) lacking.

That said, since you have a head, then maybe a 212 half open/closed cab might be the ticket. The older 212 with a slant and open top are great cabs, but are typically loaded with MC90s. If you find one, load the bottom (closed half) with an EVM and leave the open top with the MC90.

Oh, and just an FYI, I've used a Thiele with Fender Champs, PRs, and a few misc SS amps in the past ...it has without exception improved the girth and overall tone of everything I've plugged it into. So maybe that alone along with your existing Fender cabs will make you happy. As usual, all IMHO, YMMV, etc. :)

Edward

I know but I haven't been able to find a DC-5 Head. I did purchase a combo but it did not have the same tone that my DC-5 head produces so I ended up eBaying it.

edward said:
Jimmy said:

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Well, there are lots of folks here who know about these great amps ..."Monsta Tone" is just one that comes immediately to mind. But yes, I have played mine for almost a decade now and can tell you not only is she my #1 "play out" amp (which says a lot considering I have a MKIII head that I dearly love), but she has been rock-solid reliable every single time.

So 412 recommendations ...don't have one :) Simply because I like travelling light. Besides, I never play anywhere that would "justify" (in my mind, anyway) lugging a 412 (guess I'm not that good cause no big places will have me play :) ).

But in direct answer to your need for solid, tight, bottom, easy. Get a Thiele cab loaded with an EVM12L. Perch that bad boy on top of your DC5 combo, and stand back! Not only will you be amazed at the tight, authoritative, and focused bottom end, the top end clarity is stunning: crisp w/o being harsh. The EVMs crisp top compliments the combo's MC90's warmer upper-mid voice perfectly, IMHO. Stand your band mates and friends 15' away and have them close their eyes ...they will "think 412." Honestly, no exaggeration. A single EVM-loaded Thiele cab along with your combo is an impressive tonal arsenal whose tone is much bigger than it "should" be given its "modest" footprint. If I thought I could truly benefit from a 412, I guess I'd consider it, but I've never found my tone (and that glorious tight thump) lacking.

That said, since you have a head, then maybe a 212 half open/closed cab might be the ticket. The older 212 with a slant and open top are great cabs, but are typically loaded with MC90s. If you find one, load the bottom (closed half) with an EVM and leave the open top with the MC90.

Oh, and just an FYI, I've used a Thiele with Fender Champs, PRs, and a few misc SS amps in the past ...it has without exception improved the girth and overall tone of everything I've plugged it into. So maybe that alone along with your existing Fender cabs will make you happy. As usual, all IMHO, YMMV, etc. :)

Edward

Thanks for the advice Edward! I'm going to look into the EVM speakers. I've never heard of this brand but I may give them a try if I can find them in Canada.

Jim

Hi Jim,

You're welcome. :)

Just to be clear in case I wasn't, the "EVM12L" is an Electro Voice speaker. You can find that speaker all day long on ebay or vendors. But I am also referenceing Mesa's "Thiele" 1x12 cab that is ported and loaded with either the EVM or the BlackShadow MC90 (which is a Celestion). Just thought I'd mention that. Best of luck, and report back on what you found as your solution :D

Edward

Latest posts

Back