Mod your Recto so it's less dark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right... (see my other posts/questions for that...)

What do you suggest? I now play V30's (the Marshall ones) and have a experimental 2x12 with a V30 and a t75 in it.
Weber recommended their Grey Wolf, but I had the feeling they recommend that speaker to anyone.

Have you tried boosting the front end with an OD? I found the fulltone ocd in HP mode made my roadster a lot brighter without adding any fizz to the tone. Any variant of a tube screamer will produce similar results.

Curious what your settings are that you find it dark.

I now have the Roadster jdurso used to own and although it is said the Roadster is pretty much the darkest Recto I do not find the amp dark at all. I have an Avatar 2x12 with a Governor (V30ish) and a Swamp Thang, which is kind of dark and smooth sounding on its own.

I just got a few new preamp tubes and had the amp ripping earlier. I like Ch3 Vintage the best and unless you have no Presence and both the mids and treble well below 12:00 it is plenty bright. I actually was finding that bringing the Presence up a bit and rolling off the Treble from where I had it was giving me a bit more bite on the top end and more of a tight snap on the low end. The trade off was that it was actually brighter overall than I probably prefer. In a band context it would probably be great though.

I discovered a new voicing on my Rec last night you might try. All I did was brought the highs down to about 10:30 while turning the mids up to about 2:00 and bass to 11:00. Presence stayed at 9:00 as always with channel volume and gain in my normal spots. Reversing the highs and mids spots tonally made the amp way less dark and was able to hang more with the Marshall the second guitarist uses. This setting definately pulled the Recto out of the dark region and put it somewhere nearing a Mark IV but without the Mark IV roundness and smoothness. Still distinctfully Recto voicing but no longer dark. I do not personally like the way it sounds by itself, but now the amp sits in its own place instead of being the low end for the Marshall in the band.

@ bjorn218

Hmm, going to try that!
In my band the other guitarist has a Marshall too (1969 Plexi clone and sounds amazing btw) with Weber Legacy's.
My settings at the band are: Loop bypassed, Channel 2, vintage, presence 9:00, master 11:00, gain 12.00, bass 9:00, mid dimed, high 12.00.

Our practise space is very boomy with a lot of standing bass waves. Unfortunately we cannot mod the room. But yeah... I am kind of the bottom of the other guitarist (no homo). Less gain helps, OD808 helps but with loss of dynamics, but it's not enough. I'm thinking about putting an MXR EQ in the loop to output less bass and cut better.

The "Dark" nature of these amps is due to the relaxed upper-mids, not from a lack of treble freq's.

Try this:
In Modern Mode, Red Channel, set your Treble to ZERO and use the Presence for the highs. Use your Mids for cut.

Once you dial in a sound that you like, slowly raise the treble. You will immediatly hear how the treble control interacts with the bass & mids.

On my Roadster I keep the treble between 10-11:00 and the mids over 1:00. Sounds great at band volume, not dark to me at all.

Dom

domct203 said:
The "Dark" nature of these amps is due to the relaxed upper-mids, not from a lack of treble freq's.

Try this:
In Modern Mode, Red Channel, set your Treble to ZERO and use the Presence for the highs. Use your Mids for cut.

Once you dial in a sound that you like, slowly raise the treble. You will immediatly hear how the treble control interacts with the bass & mids.

On my Roadster I keep the treble between 10-11:00 and the mids over 1:00. Sounds great at band volume, not dark to me at all.

Dom

Thanks Dom,

Once I get back from Houston Sunday I will try this. Not going to change settings right before a show that are too drastic.

bjorn218 said:
domct203 said:

Try this:

Dom

Thanks Dom,

Once I get back from Houston Sunday I will try this. Not going to change settings right before a show that are too drastic.

Man that´s bingo...I tried that setting last night when I was reamping guitar tracks for my firiends project...
Treble-0/Mids-max/Bass-half way/Presence-almost full and it smoked his Diezel VH4 which he brought there as main amp...I found when you set treble lower even at 0 it makes mids much fatter and then presence works similar to orange channel/modern as it has very narrow range so there is not big difference between 0 and max...

Latest posts

Back