MKV Sale...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just so you know... cliff only was on the MOP album, and I will say the bass had a huge thing to do with the overal tone, but you can clearly hear the guitar in spots (solo'd) in Batter and MOP and other songs and get a feel for the tone which some like and some dont.

On Justice Jason newsted was the bass player (and i believe he is talented thought not like Cliff was) and his bass sound in general was completely different. You can search for vids and articles talking about AJFA and the recording but basically it was Lars and James saying this is our band and we are making a record that features drums and guitars promiently. There is so much bass eq'd in the drums and guitar that the bass guitar is not really a factor on that record, listen carefully its all heavy guitar.

so saying you need a awesome bass tone / player to make up for the lack of bass in a boogie guitar amp is kinda silly. The mark series might be mid focused and tight, but you can get lows out of it. and for your friend to generalize mesa saying there is no low end, while the flagship amp they have had for nearly 20 years has been the rectifier, which is "the" low end guitar amp (why do you think all the down tuners and nu metal people used it?)

And yeah the guitar is a midrange instrument, so live you need that cut and emphasis to sit well in the mix.

but i don't own any of those amps, played em though. I like em for what they are

Everyone seems to forget the tone on those albums was due to not only the Mk IIC+ but a parametric EQ in the loop to add the tight low end.

thegaindeli said:
I just turned the master up to 12:00 on the MESA... :shock: WOW! :shock: WOW! The Guytron is hiding under the bed... :cry:

I have got to be completely honest with you... Having been in the market for some time and recently purchasing a V of my own, I have read almost every V thread here.

You sir have got to be one of the most flip flop opinioned people on the planet. If I search your name for threads you participate in, it reads:

"V owns the Guytron..."
"Guytron is the best ever - V for sale"
"V is the best Mesa amp of all time, I love it!"
"V is for sale - Mesa's are too mid range for my tastes"
"Gonna give the V another try with XYZ tubes"
"Tubes cannot help this amp"
"34's in a V are the answer - they are like marbles on stairs..."
"Dam, I wish I didn't spend $300 on tubes - V for sale again"
"Gonna keep the V - it's a 34 based amp and I love it for what it is..."

and so on and so on...

Jmango said:
thegaindeli said:
I just turned the master up to 12:00 on the MESA... :shock: WOW! :shock: WOW! The Guytron is hiding under the bed... :cry:

I have got to be completely honest with you... Having been in the market for some time and recently purchasing a V of my own, I have read almost every V thread here.

You sir have got to be one of the most flip flop opinioned people on the planet. If I search your name for threads you participate in, it reads:

"V owns the Guytron..."

and so on and so on...
Needs bi-polar meds adjusted. No, seriously.

Maybe it's bi-polar hearing? :wink:
What's even worse - is that you spent the time to look all that up... Very strange indeed. :roll:

Not really... After noticing you in every thread saying something completely opposite from what you posted in a different thread within the last three hours, I spotted a trend. Looking at your history was more of an affirmation of a hypothesis that I was toying with. As it turns out, I was right! :p

So, are you keeping the V or not? :mrgreen: (final answer???) :mrgreen:

thegaindeli said:
Jmango said:
Maybe it's bi-polar hearing? :wink:
What's even worse - is that you spent the time to look all that up... Very strange indeed. :roll:

Not really... After noticing you in every thread saying something completely opposite from what you posted in a different thread within the last three hours, I spotted a trend. Looking at your history was more of an affirmation of a hypothesis that I was toying with. As it turns out, I was right! :p

So, are you keeping the V or not? :mrgreen: (final answer???) :mrgreen:

I have accepted defeat... The MKV stays! :D

Question: Is $1,800.00 too much for a 60 watt (no EQ) Mark IIC+ combo?

I thought you owned a IIC+ already :mrgreen:

There's a raving review of the V on HC too! TheGainDeli can write reviews.

Jmango said:
thegaindeli said:

"V owns the Guytron..."

and so on and so on...

lol! Dude you posted what I was thinking about the OP... I noticed the same trend in various threads :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1 on the flip flops. Seriously LOL.

I called you on that baloney too :mrgreen: Because you went from LOVE to HATE in a few hours - putting the V on the Classifieds. Ha! Glad to see you're keeping it.

I really think that there is just so much oing on under the hood of the V that you REALLY need to spent some time with it. Like days... weeks even. Learn how to exploit its strengths, ya know?

Also, ears get tired. Fiddling with amps all day can wear you out. That's another reason to take breaks. Come back to it the next day with fresh ears, and a fresh perspective. It's hard to see people get amps they've been gassing for, then flip them in a day. Not picking on you specifically thegaindeli - I see it a lot.

thegaindeli said:
jetdriver said:
+1 on the flip flops. Seriously LOL.

I called you on that baloney too :mrgreen: Because you went from LOVE to HATE in a few hours - putting the V on the Classifieds. Ha! Glad to see you're keeping it.

I really think that there is just so much going on under the hood of the V that you REALLY need to spent some time with it. Like days... weeks even. Learn how to exploit its strengths, ya know?

Also, ears get tired. Fiddling with amps all day can wear you out. That's another reason to take breaks. Come back to it the next day with fresh ears, and a fresh perspective. It's hard to see people get amps they've been gassing for, then flip them in a day. Not picking on you specifically thegaindeli - I see it a lot.

You're right! It was like when you play with a wah pedal kicked on for too long... Your ears get tuned-in on that particular sound. Not that I play with a wah pedal on; but you know what I mean. I also discovered that the Radial ABY pedal was "loading", and trashing my input signal! :x It sounds so good now... I even put the EL34's back in, and it sound AWESOME! I use to use a Lelhe pedal as an ABY, and never had a problem. I guess that's the difference between a $159.00 pedal, and a $329.00 pedal...
I want to do some preamp tube swapping, but it looks like it's going to be a real ***** doing tube swaps? :? I did try a 5751 in the PI slot... Sounded like ***!!!

Wow man. You sure are introducing a lot of variables at once! That can be a godd way to frustrate yourself. :D

Whenever I get a new amp I try to spent a good amount of time plugged straight in. I try to squeeze as much and as many awesome ones out of it - bone stock & straight in - as I can. Then, when I feel like I really know it, I start adding things to the mix, like effects, and maybe diff tubes, etc.

Just my $.02.

Latest posts

Back