MKV lettering rubbing off on faceplate

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
renomedia said:
I'll probably shoot it with some clear satin lacquer to make sure the lettering stays put!
great to hear that they're taking care of you.

but be _really_ careful with lacquer. true nitrocellulose lacquer has nasty solvents in it, which might dissolve the letters and even dissolve the coating on the metal. most other spray lacquers have solvents too, although they aren't toxic to breathe. you might even ask the Boogie techs what they would recommend, if anything.

th0rr said:
I think it's kind of humorous. All this talk about early adopters. :lol: These days amps are being swapped out almost as regularly as if they were computers. I kinda remember back in the day that your main amp was your main amp. Didn't like something about it? Well that is what pedals were for. Don't like your distortion? Get an overdrive or distortion pedal. Clean not quite what you want? Get a compressor/chorus/delay pedal, etc,etc,etc...

Don't get me wrong, having the choices we have today is awesome and I'm not saying nobody swapped out amps back then. It just didn't seem to happen as often. I've done it myself. Didn't like channel 2 of the F-50, after fighting with it for 2 yrs I sold it.

I am now ready for another one. I was leaning toward the roadster but have decided on the Mark V. If I like it I will keep it and not worry about "updates". It just seems folks lately have been swapping amps just for the sake of having the latest and greatest. Speaking for myself I am getting tired of the whole "keeping up with the Jones" mentality that seems to be permeating.

This is just my 2 cents. Not trying to single anyone out or put anyone down. I will now shut up and play my guitar.

Cheers

Well, in the past 5 years or so, we're kind of having a revolution in multi-voiced amplifiers and modelling amps. Nobody wants to be stuck with just one tone anymore, and the manufacturers keep coming up with new ideas and better amps. Compare this to the early 70's and it wasn't much different, people were trying all of the new stuff all of the time, constantly searching for that one tone.

renomedia said:
I heard back from Mesa yesterday and they are going to send me out a new faceplate for my amp. Since I don't have an authorized repair station within 100 miles they appeared more than happy to ship me a new faceplate. The technician I spoke with told me that this issue has been showing up bit recently and their QC staff was going over each new faceplate to make sure the lettering doesn't rub off.

I expect to get the faceplate within the next couple of days and I'll probably shoot it with some clear satin lacquer to make sure the lettering stays put! More to come...

-renomedia

Nice, you have a Mark Vb now!

scott from _actual time_ said:
renomedia said:
I'll probably shoot it with some clear satin lacquer to make sure the lettering stays put!
great to hear that they're taking care of you.

but be _really_ careful with lacquer. true nitrocellulose lacquer has nasty solvents in it, which might dissolve the letters and even dissolve the coating on the metal. most other spray lacquers have solvents too, although they aren't toxic to breathe. you might even ask the Boogie techs what they would recommend, if anything.

In my experience, a soft damp cloth works best, it will even remove beer. If the surface is oily or greasy, a damp cloth with mild dish soap is all that is needed.

wonder if it would hurt putting a clear coat of paint on the face plate? that way it will never rub off... may ruin the look of the face plate though..

Since it looks like I'll have my old face plate to practice on, I'll see what it looks like to shoot a clear satin finish on the faceplate. If it doesn't come out good on the old one, then no big deal. Obviously the faceplate will be removed from the amp when it gets its new protective coating. I'll keep you all informed.

-renomedia

How does it look without the faceplate? I was pondering just taking it off because there really aren't many titles on there to worry about once you've memorized where the standby, FX, Variac, and Power switches are (and if they rub off, maybe we should be memorizing them anyway!). Another question, structurally speaking, does the faceplate serve any other purpose besides cosmetic?

My right angle monster cable hits the faceplate on the Mark V impacting it from inserting all the way where it didn't on the Mark IV which is the real reason for my question. The right angle cable coming out of the head is one less thing to knock into (and break) versus using a straight cable.

Mark Fore said:
The right angle cable coming out of the head is one less thing to knock into (and break) versus using a straight cable.

You should stop letting people slap at your cables, that's the only way I can see it breaking. lol

I contacted my dealer and they said the faceplate is covered under warranty. Mine is only missing one letter, but I paid a lot
for this amp and don't want the lettering to ever wear off so I am going to demand satisfaction.

Maybe they should employ a face paint tester who rubs all the faces with a beer covered finger for half an hour and see if anything rubs off.

Or someone who knows what they are doing with paint selection.

It's a minor issue I know but you'd think that in 2009, amp builders wouldn't be having issues like this. Especially someone like Mesa. I know I'd be pissed if my new $2000 amp started losing paint.

Dave

Latest posts

Back