MKIV with 6v6's and Celestion Vintage neo speaker, Good

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
It's only been about two days of Playing my new MKIV. So things are not set in stone yet, but I just wanted to say that the Neo vintage sounds a lot better then the stk celestion IMHO. Now the neo is a vintage one which sounds different then the Century one. Also the neo I had laying around is a 16ohm speaker, instead of the stk 8ohms. Anyway the neo sounds a lot better on the 2nd channel. I was having a problem dialing in the 2nd channel. with the stk speaker there's a high end sizzle to the mid frequency, and I could dial it out. When I put in the Neo, it was gone. The neo has a little less highs then the stk speaker, which helps. I think the Neo gives it up a little and sounds warmer then the stk speaker. The big thing is it's early yet and the stk speaker isn't even broken in yet. I just wanted to let people know if you have a problem with the weight of the combo, that the Vintage Neo celestion sounds very good. Also the JJ 6V6's sound better then the stk 6L6's IMHO. The 6v6's have less bass and a little nicer break up, still very early to tell. I have to gig with the amp to really tell, but thought it worth a post.

Which speaker came with your amp stock? I have combo on the way with 6V6s and the EV. I'm planning on getting a different, lighter speaker for the combo and a Thiele cab to put the EV in. Can you compare another common speaker that the Neo compares to?

My amp came stk with the Black Shadow. The Vintage Neo is supposed to sound close to a celestion Vintage 30, I don't think it sounds like a V30. I have a ton of V30's, that don't use any more(to harsh to my ears. I think the Vintage Neo sounds more like a Celestion G12H30. The Neo has a ton of bottom and nice mids and high end. The Neo got rid of the harsh solid state kind of mids, I was getting from the channel 2 sound. I had to turn up the highs on the Neo, it has less high end then the Black shadow. I think Celestion got a lot of grief on the orginal Neo Cetury for being a little harsh top end. The Neo Vintage is voiced with less high end IMHO. Also The Neo Vintage is only rated at 60 watts. Also like I wrote, I only had the Neo in 16 ohms instaed of the stk 8 ohms.that efects the sound too. I think the 16ohm takes a little volume away but that's fine with me. I also find that I have to run the channel jmasters no lower than 4 and the main master no lower then 2, to get the best tone.

Yea I know, I thought it would be the same thing running the 16 ohms into the 8 ohms on the back of the amp.

I'm also considering the Century or the Century vintage for my MKIV.

If I put the Vintage in, will it be safe as long as I don't run the amp at more than 60W?

Also, with the high efficiency of the 80W Century (102db), will I not be able to turn up the master or channel volumes? How will this affect the power amp's operation? I really don't need the amp to be any louder than it already is.

I'm about to play a gig with the Ne Vintage (rated 60 watts) I'll let you know how it does. Still I don't think I would ever play the amp loud enough to blow the speaker. I'm running the main master at 2 and the channel masters right around 5, and it's as loud as I ever want to be. I would be careful with the regular Cetury Neo, which I heard is a little harsh on the highs. I have never heard it in person, I have only read this about it. I have already switched to 6l6'd in the midle with two el34's on the ouside. I really like this combo but I'm a Marshall plexi guy. I think I have a killer combo right now, at a great weight with the neo. I got the Vintage Neo at avatar for $99, I think the regular century is a lot more, maybe $150 to $199. Again I only have the Vitage Neo and it sounds great.

Thanks. Yeah let me know how the Vintage holds up at gigging volumes. I am leaning toward the Vintage as well. I've ordered speakers from Dave before, too. He's got great customer service and great prices!

Boogiebabies said:
I would be careful running a 16 Ohm speaker. Mesa urges that when using 6V6's that you run the stock 8 Ohm speaker from the 4 Ohm jack to reduce wear on the tubes.

Does this only apply for 6V6's? I'm running two JJ el34L's in the outward sockets, and two JJ 6l6's in the inward sockets. Bob at eurotubes picked them out for me. Anywho, I'm running my 8ohm out into a 16ohm mono Vht 4x12. Is this dangerous?

UsrName said:
Thanks. Yeah let me know how the Vintage holds up at gigging volumes. I am leaning toward the Vintage as well. I've ordered speakers from Dave before, too. He's got great customer service and great prices!

Had the gig and really think the Neo Vintage is the way to go. had to carry the amp through the loading dock, and then up three flights of stairs. The speaker can take the power, no problem, and the sound to my ear is better then the stk C90 black shadow. If you want to gig with a widebody MKIV combo, then go with the Vintage Neo for $99, and save your back. as far ar El34's you don't have to switch the ohms, like 6v6's. If worried, just call Mesa. i got them on the phone everytime. Sometime you have to leave a message, but they get back. The tech guys there are great. They gave me all kinds of info, even helped me with a Bias pot mod, good people IMHO.

jamme61 said:
Had the gig and really think the Neo Vintage is the way to go. had to carry the amp through the loading dock, and then up three flights of stairs. The speaker can take the power, no problem, and the sound to my ear is better then the stk C90 black shadow. If you want to gig with a widebody MKIV combo, then go with the Vintage Neo for $99, and save your back. as far ar El34's you don't have to switch the ohms, like 6v6's. If worried, just call Mesa. i got them on the phone everytime. Sometime you have to leave a message, but they get back. The tech guys there are great. They gave me all kinds of info, even helped me with a Bias pot mod, good people IMHO.

Glad it worked out for you! What kind of music do you play?

I talked to Avatar, and they no longer carry the Vinatage. They said the Centurys really didn't sell very well.

I thought they didn't sell them any more. it's a shame, because the vintage one works great. My band does Classic rock. a lot of 60's and early 70's. Like the beatles to Zep. Throw in the cure and Weezer, and Dion from the 50's, and that's us. I think for gigs whatever you might lose using the neo, will never be heard at the gig. With that said, I still say, the vintage neo, sounds better then the stk C90 BS speaker. I never heard the EV, and I'm sure it sounds killer, but I'm not carrying it. It was awesome, to carry a 1x12 combo. I usualy take a 2x12 cab and marshall head. The other guitar player in our band plays thru a 2x12 marshall cab and a Mesa solo recto head (his tone really sucks IMHO). After the gig he said he was buying my amp. He loved the tone, and the way my leads cut through the band. But he, was most amazed, at how big, the little 1x12 combo sounds. It really fills the room. i had a 65 fender twin that did that.
for a band member to make a fuss over your amp, is always a good sign.

I swapped my EV out of my Mark IV and put in the Century...and I think it sounds alot like the EV just a bit looser...and it sounds great...relieved about 35 lbs from conbo.

Back