MKIV and pedal board

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miqueas92

Reaction score
Hey,

So, I´ve started building a pedal board for my MKIV and soon (I hope) LSC. I have bought an Ernie Ball Wah, Boss DD-20 delay and a dunlop uni-vibe, I wonder what sound I like¿¿¿¿ jajajajaja.

So, the question is... how should I set things up¿¿ ie, what first, what where, ie the loop etc..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mick

DD-20 in the loop and the others out front. Putting delay in front of a high gain amp is a train wreck. Univibe could go in the loop too, but I like the way they sound out front myself. For me, wahs always go in front. YMMV.

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread... I wonder if your DD-20 will have the same issue as my DD-3.

At any and all settings with my Mark IV, the delay signal is distorted. On the clean channel, it's almost perfect, but on R2 and Lead, the delays sound horrible; distorted, bad digital noise artifacts.

It's a bummer because we cover some Pink Floyd and U2, and having a loud echo on a slight dirty tone is what I am after.

I finally got so fed up with the noise, I bought an MXR Carbon Copy. The noise issue is gone, but at first, the MXR totally annoyed me, because the echo is NOT a "carbon copy" at all; it's a darker, more distant sound; you really can't get a perfect mirrored repeat sound. As an echo, this "flaw" actually works, it is very musical, and I'm totally coming around to liking the MXR as a part of MY tone... but if you want that Floyd or U2 slapback, the MXR doesn't cut it...

Anyone else have issues using Boss digital delays with the Mark IV? If so, how did you solve the problem? I wonder if it a digital problem (signal too hot going in to the box) and only an analog will work, or if it's unique to Boss.

Appreciate any input,
thanks

I have a dd-3 and yup just doesn,t cut it in the fx loop of any boogie that i,ve played so i now use a dual overdrive/distortion pedal up front with the delay after that!May i add that i have a rack mount mark 3 which i use with a tc electronics g sharp in the loop and bingo the delay works great!

Used a DD6 in the loop of my Recto, LoneStar, and F30 along with my Mark III with no problems but I used the send on the amp at noon to one. I did have to finally upgrade to a TC Nova to use with my Shiva, which is miles beyond what the boss pedals could be.
As for the signal chain, all time based effects in the loop sans U-Vibe (Unless you really like it there).
Peace.

DD3 can't handle Boogie effects loops - DD6 can, the Memory Boy I just bought seems fine, but the DD3 does seem to have some issues.

Anyway, OP, space FX (and for me, modulation too) in the loop, everything else out front. You can get some pretty funky sounds by putting filters - synths and wahs - in the loop as well but I'd only do so for recording, it's not that useful a tone.

FWIW, I used to put my EHX Wiggler tube vibrato pedal in front of the Subway Rocket I had at the time and it sounded pretty killer.

Well.

The delay and vibe are in the loop, all is well.

The wah really adds a lot of noise to r2 and lead, bummed.

Mick

ok, so I'll ask the dumb question.....

I've been running rack stuff for years for my MKIII but recently have cut back on the gigging and want to go lighter with some pedals and a small board.
Are you guys running 10' cables out of the loop to the floor pedals and back into the loop with another 10' +/- cable? the only pedals I've been running on long cables are the guitar into a flr comp, volume, wah and into the head. Delays, hush, rev are in the rack with as short a cable as possible. If you are running delay/chorus/whatever pedals in the are you using the gcx? I just always thought to minimize the cable lengths and out of the loop to the floor and back seems like an awfully long run but....maybe the driver for the loop can handle pushing the signal. And $75 Mogami cables probably makes a diff although I can't imagine hearing much of a diff if running the gain dimed. ;-)

I'd be interested to hear thoughts....thanks

harrySpider said:
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread... I wonder if your DD-20 will have the same issue as my DD-3.

At any and all settings with my Mark IV, the delay signal is distorted. On the clean channel, it's almost perfect, but on R2 and Lead, the delays sound horrible; distorted, bad digital noise artifacts.

It's a bummer because we cover some Pink Floyd and U2, and having a loud echo on a slight dirty tone is what I am after.

I finally got so fed up with the noise, I bought an MXR Carbon Copy. The noise issue is gone, but at first, the MXR totally annoyed me, because the echo is NOT a "carbon copy" at all; it's a darker, more distant sound; you really can't get a perfect mirrored repeat sound. As an echo, this "flaw" actually works, it is very musical, and I'm totally coming around to liking the MXR as a part of MY tone... but if you want that Floyd or U2 slapback, the MXR doesn't cut it...

Anyone else have issues using Boss digital delays with the Mark IV? If so, how did you solve the problem? I wonder if it a digital problem (signal too hot going in to the box) and only an analog will work, or if it's unique to Boss.

Appreciate any input,
thanks

Does mk4 have a a send level? If so turn it down. THe mk V does and dd3 has the same problem because it's just too much juice for it. But I just turned down the send level, very slightly and problem gone.

Back