MkIII back online - What drive pedals do YOU use?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nor

Reaction score
Mk is back in the lineup. Rhy1 and Lead sound great, Rhy2 needs a bit more smooth crunch. I'm using a Boosta Grande to push the front end, and it almost gets me there. Thinking about adding an OD/DIST so I can back down the gains on the amp a bit and get Rhy1 perfect. We play original Hard Rock/Metal. The other guitarist uses a Roadster, so that tone is already covered as far as the sonic mix is concerned. Was looking at something like the Joyo California Sound to give me more 'Mark', or a modern OD to give me somthing fresh.
Can't. Make. Up. My. @#$%^&. Mind.
:?
What do you put in front of your Mk II/III?

I used to run an ADA MP-1 through a Simul-Class 295. Now i run just the Mark III. I personally think it would sacrilege to run a pedal into a Mark III.

No offense that's just me.

My bros sometimes runs a tube screamer into his.

I have found that my trusty MXR MicroAmp has always helped add the edge to R1 and R2 and has been part of my setup for nearly 25 years. Its like getting a couple of extra channels!

This last year I got a Fulltone OCD OD and have to say i found it the first and only OD pedal that i have kept and use with my Boogie MK3. I generally use it to add another brighter, more transparent alternative crunch sound on R1 than to boost R2 (which tends to dark) although it can do that job very well too.

Although i have not tried it, the new MXR MicroAmp+ adds treble and bass controls - so that or the MXR graphic eq mentioned above could both be great for boosting the gain in more ways without altering the fundamental sound of R2

Most ODs sound fuzzy and artificial compared with the natural valve OD tone but I am personally very happy with the OCD pedal but it still comes second to a good clean boost pedal for me to get best from the amp.

For ch1/2, I've used a TS-9, Lovepedal Kalamazoo, Keeley DS-1, Big Muff, EP Booster, OCD, and Fulldrive 2. Everyone of them added something different. For your music, the DS-1 and OCD probably would bring the right flavor and the EP Booster works perfectly after the OD for a lead channel or up front to add some magic. But for ch3, forget about pedals. It doesn't like the I out being loaded down and, IMO, sounds like crap with dirt pedals. It completely hates the EP Booster. Seriously.

nor said:
Mk is back in the lineup. Rhy1 and Lead sound great, Rhy2 needs a bit more smooth crunch. I'm using a Boosta Grande to push the front end, and it almost gets me there. Thinking about adding an OD/DIST so I can back down the gains on the amp a bit and get Rhy1 perfect. We play original Hard Rock/Metal. The other guitarist uses a Roadster, so that tone is already covered as far as the sonic mix is concerned. Was looking at something like the Joyo California Sound to give me more 'Mark', or a modern OD to give me something fresh.
Can't. Make. Up. My. @#$%^&. Mind.
:?
What do you put in front of your Mk II/III?

I was wondering the same thing. I have a Boss MT2 and a Ibanez TS9. Interested to see how they will sound. I hated the TS9 when i first got it, but its actually grown on me. the MT2 was my "all time" favorite. I also have a boss MZ-2 digital metalizer. its cool, it was my first pedal, but I didn't really ever like it or need to use after I got the MT2.

I was thinking about the TS-808, and the TS9X pedals... Like to try all 3 out and bet i like each on... but seems like the Keely mods are where its at.. I really think the next before anyother pedal will be the keely MT2. They sound sweet on the website.

Wondered how you run your pedals? Between the guitar and amp? and i was thinking about trying the BOSS LS-2 pedal for a straight thru and then use line 2 for the pedal.

Been using MXR Badass Distortion and Fulltone Fatboost to good effect. They sound good through the Stiletto, as well.

Back