MKIIB-Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcgdc5

Reaction score
I recently purchased my old MKIIB back from the guy I sold it to back in '96. It's a 1981 MKIIB non reverb/EQ 60 watt. Justthe basic Boogie. I put in a EV12L right before I sold it. Still has the EV speaker.

The amp sounds great. Really does. However there's somethings I don't like. If the presence is up past 4 there's an unsatisfying hi end fizz. It's mostly noticable on the lead channel. Not at all appealing. The treble...does it too but not that bad. If I dime it I get the fizz but not like the presence. If it's on 7-8 or so it sounds fine. I can pull the brite switch out and the amp sounds really good. It's the **** presence. Is this normal or does it need a going over. Not sure how old the tubes are but I replaced the 6L6's when I got it with Boogie tubes. I plan on swapping out all the tubes soon ...any suggestions? My Fuchs likes the Winged C's.

Why don't you just turn the **** presence down? Just because the knob is there doesn't mean it absolutely must be used at all costs. :D

Sounds reasonable enough. For the darker tones that works well. I'd like to dial in a little brightness to cut a little but not have the harshness.

Try different pre-amp tubes. Some are more fizzy than others. EH 12AX7s seem to de-fizz my mark IV vs. JJ's or stock mesa tubes.

dcgdc5, both me and you might be in the minority. I too tried an EV on my Mark IIB, I had the same experience what you experienced.

I know I could have changed the tone setting to my liking with the EV but I found myself trying out a stack of Celestion G12-65s or Fane Crescendoes to my liking instead.

Taste vary for each individuals.

Latest posts

Back