Mk2C mod to Mk2C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRS-Ian

Reaction score
Courier came and pick up my Mk2C this afternoon for its journey across the sea. Its going back for the '+' upgrade as well as the simu-class mod. I'll just have to be patient and wait for its return to the UK.
Ian

Ian,

You obviously like the C+ much better than the C to justify the expense to get the C upgraded. Can you describe the tone differences?

The C+ is renowned for its metal capabilities (i.e. Metallica). I'm not a metal player and have been contemplating upgrading my C to a C+, but am worried that the upgrade won't be worthwhile for me since I don't play metal. Can anyone else that owns a C+ and does not use it strictly for metal comment on the tone & versatility?

I think the metal sound is really dependent on having the on board eq or an eq in the efx loop. If you use it in a V shape that scoops out the mids and boosts the lows and highs you've got the metal sound. It's a very versatile amp capable of working well in a number of styles. It all depends on how you set it up.

It is a more versatile amp than people give it credit. It has been sterotyped as metal amp because it can do it very well. The lower gain settings with the pull deep on these amps are seriously touch sensitive and just a thrill to play through. I guess most IIC+ owners dont mess with the lower gain and lead drive settings.

My C+ is voiced with a perfect midrange boost.
I don't play metal but get a more classic Bad Co./ZZtop
tone. It likes humbuckers and P90s.... A LOT!!!
I think that was the big selling point. It is so easy to get
clean dirt with a C+. It will also do some metal big gain stuff but
I prefer classic rock tones as opposed to the current industrial vogue.
I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Tuna141 said:
Ian,
You obviously like the C+ much better than the C to justify the expense to get the C upgraded. Can you describe the tone differences?
To be honest I never played seriously through this amp, it’s an 'investment' project, although shipping both ways across the Atlantic will put it at the moment into a negative position. I bought it on eBay a couple of years ago and it went into in storage. It came in the white tolex / brown speaker grille / Celestion speaker option which I swapped into a MkIII ‘bluely’ and sold on. The idea was always to have this amp mod’d to a ‘+’ along with the simul-class upgrade. It’s the only Boogie mk series I have with an international transformer and when it comes back it will go into an original Boogie figured maple cab of the period. Having read on this forum about the wonders that Mike B does to the amps, I know this can only come back sounding damd good! Will I gig with it – most certainly. Will I recover the money spent, well I’d like to think I will – that’s if I ever sell it!
I know that doesn't answer your question Tuna141, but I wouldn't say my 60w mk2C+ is a 'metal' amp, far from it - not that I've not tweaked it in that sonic direction.
Ian

Ian,

Your "investment project" makes sence. I've been debating for years, but have been reluctant to spend the cash to get my C upgraded. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and get it done. If nothing else, I should get my money back if I ever decide to sell.

Thanks for the input guys.

P.S. Ian, don't forget to let us know how you like the amp when you get it back. :D

Hi. I'm new around here, and to Mark series amps in general. What's done to the IIC to make it a +?

I've worked on vintage amps for several years, is the conversion something that is reasonably easily done by a techy-type? Are there schematics I can view, or someplace I can find out the details of the mod?

Thanks...

Latest posts

Back