Mk.ll C- Vs. Mk.ll C+ Mod -value and tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have an all original 1x12 100watt , no Simul Class Mkll C-. I am thinking about having Mike B at Boogie doing the C+ update now, before the guy retires or stops working on amps. I understand there aren't many C-'s that have not been updated. I also understand that the C- has somewhat better cleans, while the C+ has a much better dirty channel. I like the way mine sounds, but have heard C+'s and like them too. My question has to do with current and future value. Leave as is and have one of the few C-'s out there, or have modded by "the man" (MB) while I can? I plan on keeping it for quite a while, (although for the right price...), but as with any of my "vintage" stuff, look at it as an investment as well.

That's a tricky question that you're asking. My opinion is that if you like the way yours sounds, don't upgrade it. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And you never know, down the road your amp may become more valuable because you didn't do the upgrade. I imagine most MKIIC owners upgraded theirs.

jerseydrew said:
That's a tricky question that you're asking. My opinion is that if you like the way yours sounds, don't upgrade it. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And you never know, down the road your amp may become more valuable because you didn't do the upgrade. I imagine most MKIIC owners upgraded theirs.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. The motivation to upgrade comes from having Mike B. do it before he retires more than anything else.

That IS a tough question. But Mike B. claims that usually the + upgrade is a significant tone improvement so I guess it depends if you are going to play the amp or not. I personally don't think the "C" will ever be worth more than the "C+", but that's just my opinion.

5881 said:
jerseydrew said:

That's kind of what I'm thinking. The motivation to upgrade comes from having Mike B. do it before he retires more than anything else.

I have a C- which I bought brand new (thanks to BB for the info about my amp's origin). I use both the rhythm and the lead channel and they both sound great to me. Although the lead channel sounds great, sometimes I'd use the rhythm channel with a distortion device. Spoke with Mike B. last year about sending my amp in to do the C+ upgrade. I still have not made up my mind on whether to do it or not.

Although a C- to C+ amp should be the same thing technically as a C+, the market price of a upgraded C+ does not seem to be on par with an original C+. I suppose the perception out there seem to hold the "original is better" sentiment. Considering the cost of the upgrade, I am not sure if doing the C+ mod is a sound investment, especially if you paid top dollar for your C-. In my case, the cost of shipping the amp both ways outside of the US alone would just about offset the extra money I could get if I were to sell it later on.

The current and future value do not mean much to me, because I have no intention to sell mine. And that is one of the reasons why I still have not send mine in for the upgrade: it sounds very good as it is. Like you said, my motivation to do the upgrade is to do it before Mike B. retires and simply stops doing it for whatever reasons. I still have not decided...

Latest posts

Back