MK IV-A or IV-B?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_k

Reaction score
Off on a vintage amp quest. Got to have some MK IV added to the mix. Don't need the switchable reverb, so I am thinking of looking for an A. Much difference in tone?

Steve

Hey, Steve. Welcome to the forums. This topic has been covered numerous times so you might want to do a search.

I'll go ahead and tell you that I personally think there is very little difference in tone b/w the two versions. Others will surely disagree though. But, I traded my B long head for an A short head and got to A/B them (no pun intended) before making the trade. The A sounds just as awesome as the B. You will love either version and can usually snag an A for a little less coin as they were made pre-1994. I think the biggest difference is the amount of gain available in R2 channel, but it's really not THAT much of a difference if you ask me.

I've had both but not at the same time. I've noticed very little difference in the tone. I'd say they are pretty darn close. If you don't care about a reverb switch or running in stereo either will be a great amp. If you are looking at combos, the speaker inside probably makes the biggest difference. The newer B's have C-90s where the older A's and B's have an EVM-L.

i've never played an A..only read about a million discussions about this topic haha...besides difference like switchable verb, the differences in the FX loop etc..I heard the 'B' R2 has a tad more gain, and can achieve a better metal crunch without an OD pedal then the A...also heard the lead channel on the 'B' was voiced a tad darker..i think all this info is in the main MKIV thread..either way, I doubt i could tell the difference...I own a late 90s MKIV B...it destroys..ive seen a million clips with the MKIV A as well..they also destroyed.

I've played both, but I own an "A", the one I've got sounds very closer to my old III red stripe than any other IV
I've ever played thru and that was one of the main reasons I jumped on it.
It's not quite as smooth or compressed as you would think a IV would be.
I'm quite comfortable using a clean boost in front of any amp so the "lower gain R2" of the A is not an issue for me.
A or B is going to kill regardless. :D

I owned an (1992) A rackmount, an (1992) A compact combo and now own a (2005/6) B medium head. Slight difference in R2 and an even minor difference in the lead. You'll love both.

Just bought a 1991 Mark IV(a) wide body head from a store off ebay. Serial #2xxx. Looks to be excellent shape. Hope so.

Steve

steve_k said:
Just bought a 1991 Mark IV(a) wide body head from a store off ebay. Serial #2xxx. Looks to be excellent shape. Hope so.

Steve

Nice!!
congrats, boy you sure didn't waste any time did you :lol:

steve_k said:

Steve

you won't regret it

Very cool .... I take it you know about the keeping the bass at around 3 or less thing. The trick is keep the bass knob low and use the 5 band EQ to get all the bass you want.

The manual is here....

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf

The Mesa manuals are very good ..... and plenty of us here and that other forum well send you in the right direction if you need that.

I very much liked my II and III ..... but the IV had a lot more voices to choose from.

I never felt the IV A / B was that much different.

There is a trick to foot switching the reverb on a IVa .... any one know where that thread is around here ?

Latest posts

Back