MK IV 1993 "B" version

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glip22

Reaction score
I read production of the 'B" version did not begin until mid to late 1993. I have a "B" head dated 3/4/1993. Serial# IV-00006227. Just wondering how early of the "B" version it is.

That is cool. I would love to know which one made it is. It sounds excellent and for reference I have a Wizard MC and a Cornford MK50H. I am about to do a cap job on it. Replacing the two 220uf cans will be easy, but lifting the main board looks like a tough job. I may only do the two caps as that only requires desoldering one lead from the switch to gain access. I have some ghost noting and i was told the 220uf caps are usually the culprits. Have you had your done?

No, sadly, I sold the IV. Liked my III better.
Hey, ghost notes are part of my sound, man! :lol:

Just got an email reply from Mike Taylor at Mesa

Hello there,
Thanks for your email.
Well, to my knowledge, the version "B" didn't start until 1995 @ around serial # 7600... BUT- I just did a serial # search on your amp (#6227) & it shipped from the factory on 4/22/1993!

so, now I am thoroughly confused. Usually, we don't even have a very accurate data base for serial #'s. most as old as yours don't even show up. but yours did, & it goes against what we have down in our MARK IV history... so I don't really know what to say. HA!

Hope this helps.

thanks for your interest in MESA!

I have a "non A/non B" version, S/N around 6100 and built in 1993. It's probably one of the first ones and yours, too. Mike Bendinelli says that "early B" (or "non A/non B") are the best sounding "B".

Mesa story is not totally wrong; that guy just missed the word "full". He told you that the (full) B version started at S/N around 7600 and in 1995.

It makes sense to me. I was told that around 1500 of those amps were made.
Regards
Daniel

well, mine's 786X, so I guess it's an "official" B, but the power cord doesn't detach, so I guess it's an early "official" B :lol:

I recently purchased a Mark IVB Combo. SN 6038 dated 2/1/93 and signed. Mesa verified as well. Any earlier? The sticky for the Mark IV thread should be updated. 93 should be the crossover year, not 94.

Roger

I doubt the attachment of the A/C cable has much to do with determining "A" or "B" versions. I had a "B" wIth attached A/C cable.
I believe the effects loop configuration is the big factor.
But I could be wrong - I was once before :lol:

I guess the discussion here is not what it is an A or B version. As you say, the effects loop configuration makes the difference.

The main question here seems to be the year in which the change was made. It happened in 1993, although some people at Mesa were saying it happened in 1995.

The secondary question here is when Mesa made the transition between the "early" B and the "full" B (as Boogiebabies called it).
That s/n 6038 is an early B (Feb 93), as well as mine (according to Mike B.)

Boogiebabies asked me some time ago some specific questions about the components or the preamp tubes on my amp and, as I can read here below, he has concluded that his s/n 689x (Dec 93) is a full B but with the power cord attached.

Thus, both transitions (A to early B, and early B to full B) happened in 1993.

I am interested in what some people call the transition between "early A" to "late A". Is there any difference or is it just fiction?
Some people call the "early B" as a "no A/ no B", so it could be an indication that there were only 3 "different stripes" in the Mark IV development.
Regards

I have an early b #6407 from 1993.
The board inside was change in 2008 so...it's now a full B version.

I have just seen a Mark IV A s/n 58xx in eBay, built in 1992.

Here above, there is a Mark IV early B s/n 6038 dated Feb 1993 and a full B s/n 689X from Dec 1993.

Again, I am interested in what some people call the transition between "early A" to "late A". Is there any difference in the components or is it just fiction?

Some people call the "early B" as a "no A/ no B", so it could be an indication that there were only 3 "different stripes" in the Mark IV development.
Regards

Latest posts

Back