Mk III troubleshooting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpo

Reaction score
Hello all,
newbie question... I have a Mk III blue stripe simul-class head which went dead silent while playing. I switched off the standby and then on again and it worked for a minute and died again for good.
I get sound when I plug my guitar to effects return. So preamp tube it is?
Bought a new set of 12ax7's. Still nothing.
V1 tube doesn't "glow" at all like the others do and it doesn't warm up. I tried 3 different tubes in that position. No effect.
I assume that it is not a tube problem then.
Switching between channels won't help either.
Any ideas before I take this to a repair?
Amp was in a repair shop few weeks ago. It was cleaned and one capasitor and all power tubes were replaced.
Also I have amp out of headshell right now while testing and I have the reverb cables disconnected. Would that affect anything ( except no reverb...) ?
Thanks for any input.

amp will still work without reverb plugged in. does sound like the preamp section if you get sound going into the fx return. If amp is out of headshell I would look real close at tube socket wiring and solder joints. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon with ideas. good luck!

I concur with Dave. It sounds like something in or around the tube socket died. Unless you are a master solderer and master troubleshooter it would be advisable to take it to a tech.

Peace,
Joshua

If there is no glow in the filament in V1,that is the problem,check pin 4&5,should be tied together and have a green wire soldered to it,and pin 9,should also have a green wire soldered to it.When looking at the bootom of the socket,or from inside the chassis,you will see a wider space between 2 of the pins,the one to the left of this space is pin 1 and to the right,pin 9

Thanks guys,
amp is going to a tech. I'll let you know the cause when I get it back.

Back