MK III speaker options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddy boy

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm new here and I'm also the proud new owner of a Boogie MK III black stripe. I really dig this amp and love the sounds i'm getting out of it. However I do think the EV-speaker may not be for me. It's a little too sensitive and mid-rangey for my needs.

Have you people tried anything different in your mk III´s? I'm looking for a smooth rock lead tone with plenty of sustain.

I've been thinking about the Vintage 30, Eminence Tonespotter and Eminence Blue Tick Hound. Anyone tried those?

Cheers!

I played my Mk. III through a (*gasp!* MARSHALL!) 412 with V30s. I totally dug it. But it breaks up pretty early, so R1 didn't stay as clean as I'm used to with my cab. I prefer it with my cab. It's an EarCandy loaded with custom Scholz drivers.

But I think V30s are a good choice, too! Through my Johnson 412 and the marshall 412 and an Orange 212 -- all loaded with V30s -- the Mk. III sounded great!

Are you really attached to the combo? If not, try putting the EVM in a 2x12 with something a bit less hi-fi but still pretty flat, like a Mesa C90 or a Celestion CL80. I have a CL80 and an EVM-12 in my 2x12 and I like it better than 2 EVMs.

V30s are always good to try because they're a reference point, you can describe a lot of speakers "compared to a V30..." so if you don't like the V30s you know where to go next!

Cam, you have an EarCandy? What kind? I don't usually get GAS but ever since I heard the guitar tones on the last Neurosis record I have been wanting to check out a BuzzBomb.

CoG said:
Are you really attached to the combo? If not, try putting the EVM in a 2x12 with something a bit less hi-fi but still pretty flat, like a Mesa C90 or a Celestion CL80. I have a CL80 and an EVM-12 in my 2x12 and I like it better than 2 EVMs.

V30s are always good to try because they're a reference point, you can describe a lot of speakers "compared to a V30..." so if you don't like the V30s you know where to go next!

Cam, you have an EarCandy? What kind? I don't usually get GAS but ever since I heard the guitar tones on the last Neurosis record I have been wanting to check out a BuzzBomb.

Well. I have the baddest-*** cab ever.

EarCandy BuzzBomb 212
Birch Shell - black rhino-skin tolex
Figured Mahogany back - trans black
Mahogany front
Diamond-plate Baffle
Scholz Sugar Cone drivers w / black circular grills.

I got the first 'public' pair of the Sugar Cones. Serial #s 5 and 6. First pair went to the fella who introduced EarCandy to Scholz. Second pair went to Prince. I got the next pair. In fact. My cab is the brother to Prince's cab. Mine and his are cut from the same planks of mahogany and birch! Tim at EC told me that under the tolex is the most beautifully figured birch. Maybe I'll take a look someday ;)

It was expensive because the speakers are $240 a piece! But I DO have the baddest *** cab ever. People are always shocked and incredulous at how great it sounds! Incredible 3-D sound. It sounds so good, it's like a freakin' magic trick! So it was worth it ;)

Highly recommended!

My experience, thus far:

I have used a Weber Michigan ceramic 12", an EV 12L Classic, an original 12L, an Eminence V50/VS-12, a Celestion MC90, an Altec 4178c, and an EVM SRO alnico in my amp. I like the 12Ls, the Altec, and the SRO the most, and in conjunction with the 12L thiele, I probably liked the C90 the least.

The michigan was very inefficient and quiet compared to the 12L thiele. When I would use them both, I could only hear the Thiele, and alone, I'd have to turn the amp up halfway(!) to get any reasonably rockin' volume. I have a feeling I got a bunk speaker, but I haven't tried another one.

The 12Ls are very nice IMO and I disagree with your comment that they sound sterile. I owned a Delta Pro for a week but I sold it to a friend who needed a speaker before I got a chance to try it. The Classic and the originals are virtually identical.

The Eminence V50(VS-12 is the real model number) is a real nice sounding speaker but you'd probably want to use two as they're 50w rating. They sound more like a celestion, but better than the MC90 IMO.

The MC90 sounded pretty good by itself at low volumes but IMO it didn't sound very good loud. Also, while many people love the MC90-combo/12L-thiele combination, I didn't feel either speaker complemented each other very well. I lost the clarity from both 12Ls - it just sounded too blurry for me if that makes sense.

The AlNiCo speakers I have had the least amount of time. The SRO is even louder than a 12L and it sounds great by itself or alone. The Altec is wonderful but mine was pretty used and needs a recone now.

Now, I don't really like vintage 30s in an open back cab. I don't have any experience with Eminence speakers, either, short of the Delta Pro 12A I owned for three days until a friend needed it (before I installed it!) and the VS-12, as I mentioned before.

Have you tried turning the presence nearly all the way down? That seems to be how most of us use the EV speaker. It isn't very nice if you have the presence up around 5 or 8.

Victor

My experience, thus far:

I have used a Weber Michigan ceramic 12", an EV 12L Classic, an original 12L, an Eminence V50/VS-12, a Celestion MC90, an Altec 4178c, and an EVM SRO alnico in my amp. I like the 12Ls, the Altec, and the SRO the most, and in conjunction with the 12L thiele, I probably liked the C90 the least.

The michigan was very inefficient and quiet compared to the 12L thiele. When I would use them both, I could only hear the Thiele, and alone, I'd have to turn the amp up halfway(!) to get any reasonably rockin' volume. I have a feeling I got a bunk speaker, but I haven't tried another one.

The 12Ls are very nice IMO and I disagree with your comment that they sound sterile. I owned a Delta Pro for a week but I sold it to a friend who needed a speaker before I got a chance to try it. The Classic and the originals are virtually identical.

The Eminence V50(VS-12 is the real model number) is a real nice sounding speaker but you'd probably want to use two as they're 50w rating. They sound more like a celestion, but better than the MC90 IMO.

The MC90 sounded pretty good by itself at low volumes but IMO it didn't sound very good loud. Also, while many people love the MC90-combo/12L-thiele combination, I didn't feel either speaker complemented each other very well. I lost the clarity from both 12Ls - it just sounded too blurry for me if that makes sense.

The AlNiCo speakers I have had the least amount of time. The SRO is even louder than a 12L and it sounds great by itself or alone. The Altec is wonderful but mine was pretty used and needs a recone now.

Now, I don't really like vintage 30s in an open back cab. I don't have any experience with Eminence speakers, either, short of the Delta Pro 12A I owned for three days until a friend needed it (before I installed it!) and the VS-12, as I mentioned before.

Have you tried turning the presence nearly all the way down? That seems to be how most of us use the EV speaker. It isn't very nice if you have the presence up around 5 or 8.

Victor

I love my EVM 12L's with my Mark III, but you definitely need to keep the presence down; I keep mine on 2 or less. They are quite hi-fi and can be a bit harsh with too high of treble and presence settings, but have huge tight bass that no other speaker can produce.

V30's will have more honky, almost harsh mids than the EV, which is more neutral. I'd recommend some G12T-100's; they sound great with the Mark III! A bit less mids, and a bit darker with just the right amount of breakup.

camsna said:

EarCandy BuzzBomb 212

Well you may, but it was built by bullshit artists! I've never heard their product but the description of their "unique" porting defys logic, physics and the conventions of the english language.

The Earcandy cabs look fantastic and probably sound great, but why oh why do makers feel the need to talk such utter crap!

"Guitar and Bass waves are round, especially from a tube amp, Solid state amps tend to produce more square waved signals..." WTF? Since when can a solid state amp not reproduce a sine wave?

"...makes our guitar and bass speaker cabinets self adjusting to any guitar speaker installed in the cab. The cabs also have a abilit to feel the room and the amp powering them." They also have the ability to alter the space / time continuim and create unlimited, free energy. How does the cab 'adjust'? How does the cab 'feel'? It's an insult to the intelligence of the buyer.

"Creating a near field range of tone that elongates into a long throw style of fully defined projected sound at amazingly clean volume levels." I can't even begin to understand what this abortion of a sentence is meant to express!

Utter Bollocks! :evil:

No offence to you or your cab. I just can't stand technical hyperbole.

EarCandy BuzzBomb 212
Birch Shell - black rhino-skin tolex
Figured Mahogany back - trans black
Mahogany front
Diamond-plate Baffle
Scholz Sugar Cone drivers w / black circular grills.

I got the first 'public' pair of the Sugar Cones. Serial #s 5 and 6. First pair went to the fella who introduced EarCandy to Scholz. Second pair went to Prince. I got the next pair. In fact. My cab is the brother to Prince's cab. Mine and his are cut from the same planks of mahogany and birch! Tim at EC told me that under the tolex is the most beautifully figured birch. Maybe I'll take a look someday ;)

It was expensive because the speakers are $240 a piece! But I DO have the baddest *** cab ever. People are always shocked and incredulous at how great it sounds! Incredible 3-D sound. It sounds so good, it's like a freakin' magic trick! So it was worth it ;)

Highly recommended!

do you have a picture of your cab and maybe some sound bits? I am very interested in try a new cab soon. This can give me an idea. Thanks.[/quote]

Latest posts

Back