Mk III Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
I used to own a MK III, but that was literally 20 years ago! I can't remember how that compared to the MK IIc+ or a MK IV. The reason I mention is that one of the dealers that has an ad on this forum (The Fret House) has a MK III that is brand new that has never sold. I didn't have time to try it out today, but it definitely piqued my curiosity. Anyone care to comment? (BTW they also have a Nomad 55 and a real cool grey suede F-30 with matching thiele cab) Anyway, what's the scoop on the MKIII ?

If it's a BLUE stripe go for it. This monster sing it got the best gain of any amplifier I try and It also great for any kind of music. But you can go with any stripes they're all Mesa :wink:

i have a redstripe, non-simul, no reverb. It has the widest range of available tones out of any mesa I have played to date. I can use it for clean fender sound, to bluesy pushed grit, to allman brothers tweed, right up to full blown power metal. I was going to sell it recently, but cranked it today and couldn't bear to part with it. The pure tube tone just sings at high volumes.

Would that be the same Fret House on citrus ave in west covina, so cal? If it is, love that place! I bought my 295 from them as a NOS unit back in the mid 90's. Still kick'n butt! :D Lots of nice guitars. I have a MKIII that was a purple stripe, but i had it modded to the IIC+ spec and added the R" volume mod. Mike B at boogie fixed me up! Love that guy! Really good people, called me to let me know when he had finished the job! I bought my MKIII directly from Mesa when I was stationed in Madrid, Spain with the US Air Force back in the mid-late 80's. Haven't had a chance to crank it up, I still live here in Madrid, in one of those high-rise apartments, and I have no rehearsal place, so gotta keep it low to keep the peace. But, it sounds like it's gonna be at killer at stage volumes! The R2 Vol mod really helps in balancing the three modes, although it reduced the fatness of the sound that it original had. I really liked that "fat", I could get a screaming rock tone with lead 1, and then with R2 get a warm, almost brown jazzy tone, with the same guitar by playing with the volume knob. The problem were the volume levels. Anyways, I'm still in tweak mode, and really can't finalize anything until I can play it a "real-world" volumes. Sorry for the long post, your mention of the Fret House, and your location (anaheim-Disneyland!) gave me warm fuzzies, I'm originally from Grand Terrace (San Bernardino county). Good Luck with your decision! :D

Can someone tell me the differences with all those colour striped Mark III's?
Blue stripe, red stripe, green stripe, purple stripe... :idea:

Satchie said:
Can someone tell me the differences with all those colour striped Mark III's?
Blue stripe, red stripe, green stripe, purple stripe... :idea:
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

Latest posts

Back