Mk III problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shep

Reaction score
My mk III has started very very lightly clipping (it sounds abit like that ) over the clean channel..it's like when i hit a chord hard it clip's very lightly and it's something i have just started to notice.. it could be a harmonic type tone thats clipping...this is happening even if the volume is on 5 and the master on 1.. i am thinking a re-cap pretty soon. any other idea's..I will go over with a new preamp tube to test if it isn't one of the pre's going.. i know it isn't the power section becasue i just tested them with a different set and it was still doing it..pot's also might be a question..

Any help would be cool.

Thanks All Tom

Hi shep,

If your mkIII stll has the original filtercaps, change 'm.
(or let an amptech do it)
Then look further if you still have problems.
Even if the filtercaps are not the problem, they will give you problems in the future.
I have a '90 MK IV and begin to hear gostnotes on my lead channel.
I'm pretty sure that this is because of old filtercabs.
(I will change 'm in the near future.)

Hey Shep, you might first try cleaning your pots with a good cleaner/lubricant and also squirt some on a Qtip and clean your input and FX loop jacks. While the amp is on (be careful not to burn yourself on the power tubes) gently wiggle around your preamp tubes to see if you hear any crackling noises or scratchy sounds. Sometimes the tiny contacts in your tube sockets get sprung from changing tubes often or corroded from never changing them. This is always a good way to start trouble shooting a noise problem before taking more drastic measures.

i think it may had been the master volume pot.. i put some stuff in it and it seems to be gone. i am going to cap it pretty soon..this amp is in really prefect condition..and sound great still..

Back