Mk III noob question--chassis and reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New owner of an '86 MkIII purple stripe short head (reverb, Simul-Class, EQ).

Two questions--

1. So, if I wanted, could I just pull the reverb tank out of there and give myself more airflow and space? The reverb leaves a whole lot to be desired. What would I do with V4?

2. The chassis has become a little deformed over time from the weight of the transformers; the rails and lugs at the rear of the head are bent out a fair bit so it's no longer a straight shot for the screws. The sheer joy this brings me when I try to pull the chassis, or better yet, put it back, is difficult to describe. Would it be safe to pull the tubes and basically just try to hammer the edges back into true?

I don't any real benefit to removing the reverb. If you need air flow you can have the Boogie fan installed or simply get a cheap fan to blow on it.

As far as the frame goes, there is no reason why you can't carefully bend it back in place. Incidentally, when Mike Bendinelli wants to check for loose connections and other problems, he whacks the chassis with a small ball peen hammer, fairly hardly, I might add. Look for some small marks but the power sink on Mark Series amps and you will often see what I mean.

ramalam said:
I don't any real benefit to removing the reverb. If you need air flow you can have the Boogie fan installed or simply get a cheap fan to blow on it.

There's already a fan in there; looks like a PC fan, to be honest.

Humour me though-- if I just wanted to pull the reverb, I'd yank the tank and just leave the knob at 0? Or would I need to jumper the in/out with a short RCA cable (maybe with a resistor in the middle?)

I have a TC Nova to run in the loop-- generally I either want totally dry or just stupid amounts of 'verb, and the MkIII doesn't give up enough 'verb until the loudness is reaching silly levels. And taking the tank out would make changing tubes a heck of a lot easier.

Back