Mk I + Smokey amp = ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavemanbrian

Reaction score
I just wanted to share something I just figured out and I have a few questions about it I think maybe someone smart around here could help me with.

My 2 favorite amps right now are my Boogie Mk I reissue (the head, running through a 1X12 60W boogie cab, cant remember what speaker is in it) and my Supro Smokey amp:
http://store.smokeyamps.com/catalog...id=43&osCsid=1985aea271a30fadf545e6fdcdfe7fa7
and I've found a way to frankenstein combine them...

For those unfamiliar with little smokey amps, they normally come in a cigarette pack and are pretty cool. The supro smokey is a slightly different version in a plastic case and has a pretty killer simple crisp dirty sound and cleans up very responsibly when I roll off volume. Its 30$, runs on batteries, fits in my pocket, and blasts about half a watt full bore. Plugging it into a speaker cab sounds RAD. I could gush and gush. Oops just did. The only drawback (and an obvious one at that) is its volume, which is surprisingly loud enough for a jam without drums or close mic recording, but not for anything with drums and a PA at show volume.

So I've been trying for a while to figure out a way to get a louder version of this thing (other than miking it all the time, which I was seriously considering), and I think I found it:

I plugged my guitar into the smokey input, and plugged the smokey speaker output into the Effects Loop Return on the back of the Mk I. I plugged a short cable into the Effect Loop Send jack with nothing on the other end of it. Theres nothing plugged into the Mk I front inputs, and the 8 ohm speaker is plugged into a 1x12 60W speaker like normal.

The result is only the presence and master volume knobs work, but other than that I have the smokey's sound at 100W of power.
I also tried the same set up on my Mk IIC+ and had the same result.

My questions are:
1) Is there any chance of damaging the power tubes of the Mk I in this configuration since the smokey pushes them harder than the preamp tubes do (or appears to since it seems louder and 'hotter' sounding)?
2) Is there and danger of damaging the preamp circuit running it with the effects loop send not plugged into anything?
3) Has anyone used their boogie as a power amp like this, and if so, what did you do and what did it sound like?

There should be no danger in doing that. I've read directions in one of the mesa manuals to do exactly what you are doing, even the cable in the send jack not connected to anything.

I have not done this myself, because i haven't found a preamp i like more then my mesa's :p

Back