MK 3 Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul461

Reaction score
Apologies if this question has been asked before....I have just aquired a Boogie MK 3 with reverb and I want to make sure I'm re-tubing it right, as I'm reading different things on the net...the amp, which could be in better shape, arrived with 2 EL34's and 5 12ax7's in it...are the EL34's the correct power tubes for it?????..I have no idea what stripe it is and wouldn't know what to look at to find out..if some one can tell me how to... :oops: ...the speaker was changed to a Red Coat Eminence which sounds ok but I might try and source a better speaker..any suggestion on this as well would be appreciated..cheers!!

Hello,
Your EL34s are fine and will handle the power output no problem...just depends what sound you're after...te el34s are supposed to sound more 'british' as opposed to the more 'american' sounding 6L6's. (I could never tell much difference really) I replaced my pre-amp valves in my boogie mk4 with Mesas own SPAX7 tubes and they perfomed great - however, the biggest impact was when I changed my stock Mesa otput valves for Winged C 6L6...WHAT A DIFFERENCE! These valves are a little more expensive and you have to make sure you're not just buying copies from China - if you get the real ones they'll make your amp sound amazing. I got mine from Watford Valves for about £20 each. The winged Cs also come in el34s.

Peace, Jason

Thanks!

kungfujews said:
Hello,
Your EL34s are fine and will handle the power output no problem...just depends what sound you're after...te el34s are supposed to sound more 'british' as opposed to the more 'american' sounding 6L6's. (I could never tell much difference really) I replaced my pre-amp valves in my boogie mk4 with Mesas own SPAX7 tubes and they perfomed great - however, the biggest impact was when I changed my stock Mesa otput valves for Winged C 6L6...WHAT A DIFFERENCE! These valves are a little more expensive and you have to make sure you're not just buying copies from China - if you get the real ones they'll make your amp sound amazing. I got mine from Watford Valves for about £20 each. The winged Cs also come in el34s.

Peace, Jason

Is your amp a Simul-Class or a 60 watter?
A Simul-Class amp has four power tubes, a 60 watt has two.
If you have a 60 watt, with only two power tubes, it ain't designed for EL-34s, so replace them with 6L6s before you fry something expensive.
If it's a Simul-Class, you can use EL-34s (or 6L6s) in the outer sockets. The inner sockets still must be 6L6s only.
As far as which stripe it is, look above where the A/C cable emerges from the chassis. There may be a Magic Marker "stripe" there. No stripe or a black dot indicates an early version. Then purple, red, blue, and finally green.

HI...The amp only has 2 power tubes and 5 12AX7's so i guess it's got the worong tubes in it..that being the EL34's. I have a set of 6l6's that are spare for my F50 which I can piut in it, thanks for your help!

+++1 on the Winged =C='s.

I have the EL34's in the outer's on my MkIII and will be definitely getting the 6L6's for the middle if I quit blowing money on guitars and pedals.

Latest posts

Back