Mix tubes in Mk 2c

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heritage Softail

Reaction score
My newly bought 2C has the BB pair matched and 2 diff EL34 on the outside AA slots.

Does anyone have a pair of -C- 6L6 tubes in the inner and pair of stock Mesa EL34's on outside?

Boogie tech svcs said the 6L6 was optimal outside and not the EL34's as I bought the amp. I'm just going to put the -C- I pulled from my Mkv and see how she sounds.

The amp sounds good as is. Nice cleans. Interested to try the optimal tube set up.

What power tubes do you like best in your IIC?

In this case optimal is meant as least likely to fail. I have used EL-34 or 6CA7's in the outer sockets without a failure since 2003. If you want a tone with more cut and tad less bottom go with 34's in the outer sockets. If you was a better clean tone with a bit more sizzle and more natural bottom end go with four 6L6GC. If you have the coin, try to get a quad of Mesa STR-415's. They have a service life of around 12-13,000 hours.

Thanks for the idea.

I found a matched pair of STR415's at KCA nos tubes and will give them a call.

I ran a low use set of JJ EL's and a pair of -C- 6's thru it last night. The new EL's had a sizzle. Since I play a good bit of Dire Straits and classic rock, 415's may be just what the Dr. ordered.

With the class A or simul-class and the ease of switching tubes, the IIC is up to the hype. Seems strange for such a wall of sound to come out of a little dark brown box with a wicker front!

I have been running two NOS SED 6L6 and Two EL34 for almost nine years with no drift in bias draw. They sound phenominal. But for a four 6L6 compliment I prefer STR-415's or STR-387's. Big, Full and they last for ever. If you get a quad of 415's and they don't work out you can put them in your SLO 100 and bias them up. That amp was also designed around them (415/387's).

My IIC+ has 4 x STR415's. Looking for replacements......these NOS Mesa tubes are way expensive.

JOEY B. said:
Heritage Softail said:
What power tubes do you like best in your IIC?

STR-415 inner / STR-416 outer . Save your money and spend it well. 8)

Good idea.

Well, I have been stacking up a few NOS preamp tubes and it really does change an amp. More in other amps, I must admit, than the Boogie MKIIC. Boogie tubes seem to be just fine. I got a grab bag of a dozen 12ax family tubes yesterday and will do some rolling. The MKV I had was pretty responsive to power tube changes so I'm gonna bit the bullet and get the Mesa good ones.

Honestly, the amp is just awesome stock. It hates a dirt pedal, or the ones i have. Sounds perfect as is. The only thing that made the IIC sound better was running it wet dry. I know Mesa is all about the MKV these days, but if you haven't played a healthy old IIC and ran the clean channel on the edge of breakup in Class A, as well as the high gain cranked with the classic V on the EQ... You have to try it. Just a freak of an amp... That the little combo I have is this pretty wood with a wicker front that makes it look like an end table, just makes it so funny to listen to it breathe fire :lol:

Recently had my simulcalss 2c+ repaired by a local tech who has visited the boogie factory and has an excellent local reputation her in South Wales. He told me that the whole idea of being able to choose 6l6 or el34 for the outer pair of valves had been discredited as, though it will work, the circuit is designed for an inner pair of 6l6 valves and an outer pair of el34 valves. 6l6's in the outer position will, he said, lead to a higher failure rate of valves and more strain on the output tranformer and blown fuses. Apparently this was acknowledged by Boogie themselves in a technical paper way back when. My amp is certainly happier with new valves as per his recomendation.

Latest posts

Back