Mitchell amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
I saw an old mitchell pro-100 head on ebay about a week ago, and it was described as a mesa knock off..

Does any one here know anything about these?

Yes I had one. Poor Man's MESA Boogie Mark I. Mine had a 6-Band EQ MXR embedded in the front panel.

My opinion, noisey, splatty but at the time affordable. Slightly brighter than an original Mark I but not as refine. The electronic components are imports, plenty of silicon[?] all over the place to hold the components.

Anymore questions?

I was looking at one of them because I can't find a Mark I, but you've convinced me not to buy one.

I found some reviews that said it was decent though.

I sold mine on consignment at a guitar shop for $300. I was initially asking for $350 but the guitar shop said: "You are not going to get it for that price!" So I lowered it to $300. Less than a week it was sold!

Did you check out Mark I reissue? They have update Tweed / modern[?] switch (like a Sponge / Modern on Dual Rectifiers) and they're not picky with 6L6s where the Original Mark I, if not biased prefers Sylvania tubes (MESA's STR-415s).

As for Mitchell being reviewed as "decent", yeah, I'll go with that. But the noisy-ness really bothered me. But that one in the picture doesn't have a graphic EQ because i think mine the EQ attributed to the noisey-ness.

Remember, most members of these board prefer the high gain stuff. Mark I are basically Fender with gain and more midrange which is ideal for me (although I like high gain also). But that's my opinion.

Yeah, I tried the Mark I re-issue, but it sounded slightly different compared to the original, and it cost $1150, which is way out of my price range. I prefer my IIB to both of them, mainly because of the extra features, but the IIB and I sound pretty much the same in my opinion.

The main reason I was looking at the mitchell was because it was an inexpensive 100W tube amp.

I guess we're in the same boat, I too have a Mark IIB (except my effect loop and reverb was modified by Mike Bendelli).

Then I tried a Mark III (friend's). Not my cup of tea. Too saturated .... and with Mark IIs I could set the tone controls that satisfy both channel. I could not get that with Mark III. Then Mark IV is an extension of Mark III but with extra tone controls on each channel.

Now I'm here on this board getting flamed because I don't like as much saturated distortion.

Oh, getting carried away ...

If you like your Mark IIB, the Mitchell is not even close.

Yeah, the Mark I reissues are slightly different from the originals.

RR said:
I guess we're in the same boat, I too have a Mark IIB (except my effect loop and reverb was modified by Mike Bendelli).

What's the amp like now?

Mine doesn't have reverb, but I honestly can say I don't like the FX loop on mine.

James said:
RR said:

What's the amp like now?

Mine doesn't have reverb, but I honestly can say I don't like the FX loop on mine.
I like it, it works great with my DigiTech rack mount unit. I don't use any stomp boxes.

It's (modification) subtle so I would not loose sleep over it.

James said:
Yeah, I tried the Mark I re-issue, but it sounded slightly different compared to the original, and it cost $1150, which is way out of my price range. I prefer my IIB to both of them, mainly because of the extra features, but the IIB and I sound pretty much the same in my opinion.

The main reason I was looking at the mitchell was because it was an inexpensive 100W tube amp.
Why don't you try an old Traynor, they have a nice 80 watt 2-12" on eBay right now!

I have 2 Mitchell 4x12 cabs. Don't ever use them with a Marshall head. They sound too hollow. But with a Boogie they kick ***. They were built in Rubidoux CA back in late 70s, early 80s.

Latest posts

Back