Mini Rectifier in da house!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenoA

Reaction score
So I got my Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier today. Very good deal and quick shipping from http://www.theguitarshop.ca/

Brand new unopened box:

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

I barely played with it. Only a few minutes. Went through the different options very quickly and spent 95% of those few minutes on the distortion channel.

Tried it with 2 guitars: my EBMM JP6 and a Godin LG Summit with a 59' in the bridge. 4x12 cab was a Peavey Triple XXX.

On the distortion channel, I dig both the modern and vintage option. The vintage one does the classic rock/80s sound very well.

The modern adds more meat to it but not to the extreme (to my ears).

I have no experience with Mesa amps, this one is my first but I do play ocasionnaly on a beat-up Single Rectifier at the rehearsal room we rent every 2 weeks.

The Mini Mesa is tight and dry, doesn't feel "greasy" like my Peavey 6505. It has less gain too than the 6505 and less fizz/buzzing that you can hear in the 6505 distortion.

Does the Mini Recto has enough gain? For me yes, I was mostly setting it around 1 to 3 o'clock and I haven't tried it boosted with a Tube screamer but I bet some players out there will prefer their Mini Recto boosted for that added gain. But as I only played it at low volume, may be cranking it will give it even more oomph. BTW, this lil' amp is quite loud (wife told me so). Even on the 10 watts setting. And flipping the switch to 25 watts shows that it got some volume to spare! I will add to my report once I will have tried it with a drummer, I hope to be able by next week (having some band mates schedule issues these days).

I could add that this "10/25 watts" all-tube amp over a 4x12 is way too loud to be enjoyed playing at what folks on the internet call "tv volume"... The Mini Recto wants to be cranked!

Back to playing the Mini Recto, when you hit chords, you can hear all notes clearly and I notice that it shows my "less-than-good" technique on fast runs! This amp doesn't forgive! It's also very dynamic. Play softly or roll your volume on your guitar to get some "lesser" distorted tone on the modern/vintage channel. Good job Mesa!

Speaking of tone, the knobs offers a good control of the EQ on both channel.

Construction: the amp feels very very well built. Fit and finish is top notch and when you pull the handle, the amp feels balanced.

The carrying bag is a nice add-on. Made a joke to the wife that it's not a "Gucci" but worth as much!

Had a long day, I'm tired... No video/audio clip done yet... Sorry. Haven't tried the footswitch, the FX loop or even the clean/boosted channel (just a few seconds to see if it was working).

And if I compare it to some "made in China" offers from other companies out there (I played a few), the Mini Recto is worth the 1000$ I paid for it. And it's made in the USA.

More to come, I promise.

Feel free to ask questions, I'll do my best.

Rock on!

These heads are the cutest little things ever... :lol: Who knew such big tone could come in such a small package? :wink: Thank You Randall Smith.... :D

Are we a crazy specie or what? Some folks asked for this on another forum, so I'll post it here also!

What a better way to wake up the kids this morning??? :lol: Plugged the guitar straight into the Mini Recto... Pushed the record button on the camera and boom!

Not perfect (sounds a bit boxy with the camera mic) but gives an idea... :Headbang: Will do something better in the coming days if I can find some spare time. For your infos: guitar was a EBMM JP6, cab Peavey Triple XXX 4x12 and I'm rolling the volume toward the end of the video to show how dynamic is the amp.

PS cheating some bandwith from the office to upload this! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo01SKKAbhI

http://soundcloud.com/jb-aka-benoa/nov_25_2011-001

This lil' monster rocks!!! Been jammin' on the Vintage channel mostly for the past hour. Recorded that quick noodling clip with my iPhone...

How does this sound?

The more I play the Mini, the more I like it :D

How does this sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxZpsV65WqM

(updated the video)

BenoA said:
What a better way to wake up the kids this morning??? :lol: Plugged the guitar straight into the Mini Recto... Pushed the record button on the camera and boom!

Oh, the irony in waking up the kids the same way we used to wake up the parents. :lol:

Sorry to bump up my post but I just wanted to report that I finaly tried my Mini with a band last evening.

I can confirm that, on top of a 4x12, it's loud enough for your regular bass+drums+guitar+singer rock quartet! No issues there.

I had brought a tube screamer with me in case I would have liked a lil' more gain but the Mini provided enough without having to cranck the gain knob past 2 o'clock.

Even on 10 watts, on the "modern" mode, it is quite loud when you cranck the volume. I does start to "compress" a bit too much to my taste but it is surprisingly loud.

As for the clean channel (I'm not a big user) stayed clean and would cut through the mix without a problem. Again, just roll the volume up!

And if you are like me and like your clean a lil' bit dirty, the "Pushed" mode does magic. Just switch to a single coil and roll your guitar volume to clean it up. Voilà!

Sadly, the cab I was using was a beat-up Fender 4x12 and it would bring the "fizzin' bees" a lil' bit compared to my Peavey TripleX cabs. I have a rehearsal this coming week with my other band and I'll be able to test it with a Mesa 4x12. Should be even more fun! I can feel some GAS for a Mesa 2x12 in the future!

So yes, that mini head can do the job with a band, except if you are in a very loud metal outfit... In that case I'd suggest to keep your 100 watts as your main weapon of choice.

For me, the 6505 remains in the arsenal, the Mini will just be my "go-to-easy-to-log-around" amp of choice. 12 pounds and cute carrying bag makes it very portable.

BTW, one thing that I did find funny was that I'm so used to play with loud amps (Marshall DSL/Peavey 6505), so having to roll the amp's volume around 1 to 2 o'clock felt weird. I know this is stupid, but yes, I felt "unusual".

make sure it's the CABINET that's causing the 'bees', and not just the volume you were playing at with the amp.

how hard can you push a 25 watt amp?

gonzo said:
make sure it's the CABINET that's causing the 'bees', and not just the volume you were playing at with the amp.

A quote from my own post above:

BenoA said:
Sadly, the cab I was using was a beat-up Fender 4x12 and it would bring the "fizzin' bees" a lil' bit compared to my Peavey TripleX cabs. I have a rehearsal this coming week with my other band and I'll be able to test it with a Mesa 4x12. Should be even more fun! I can feel some GAS for a Mesa 2x12 in the future!

Sorry Gonzo, but I said the beat-up Fender cab was the cause of "the bees, I don't have this issue with my Peavey cab. And bet it will sound even better with the Mesa at the rehearsal studio.

gonzo said:
how hard can you push a 25 watt amp?

Well, I crancked the mini around 1-2 o'clock! No problem to get it cut through the mix. :D

Deathf***ingmetal said:
Man... this is not helping me with my amp GAS!!!!! Stop it!!!! :lol:

Hey buddy, just to add to some more to the GAS... I played it again with my other band, this time the Mini was on top of a Mesa 4x12.

It was awesome. I had not to cranck it as loud. I was even playing it on 10 watts mode.

The more I play the Mini, the more I like it. :mrgreen:

Do you guys notice any signficant tone difference when you throttle the Mini down to 10 watts? My TA_15 definitley has different character between the 5/15/25 settings.

auburnshredder said:
Do you guys notice any signficant tone difference when you throttle the Mini down to 10 watts? My TA_15 definitley has different character between the 5/15/25 settings.

not much...slight variation in breakup only.

Modern channel sounds more compressed on 10 watts than on 25 watts at same volume level (to my ears)

Plugged in my brand new Mini Rec last night......first impression: incredible little amp!!

I thought my TA15 was great....it is no match for the Mini-Rec.

I am running the head through two Mesa 1x12 cabs, one thiele with an EVM12 and a second openback with an Eminence Private Jack.

The vintage setting on channel 2 alone has more gain then the TA-15 and the modern switch is off the hook. Cleans are every bit as good as the TA15. I can't believe Mesa was able to achieve this kind of tone with 84's. I have three other EL-84 amps (Class 5, Soldano and the TA15) none of them can match the overall tone of the Mini-Rec.

Anxious to see how my EMGs sound through the amp....tonight maybe.

The $1000 was the most I have ever spent on an amp....I don't regret it.

Congrats.....The Mini Recto is a great amp indeed!! I have owned mine for a few weeks and continue to be very impressed with the sounds that I am able to achieve in all modes!

I also still own my TA30 112 combo and love it as well, but for different reasons/applications!

Without question, the TA30 can't compare to the high gain sounds offered in channel 2 of the Mini.....not even close. However, the TA30 offers an incredible variety of nice clean, mid gain and crunch sounds in several modes that I also really like. IMO....the Top Boost mode of the TA30 is incredible!

However, I am also very impressed with the variety of great clean, mid gain to even "clean" high gain sounds offered in Ch1 of the Mini! This was really a pleasant surprise to me!

Enjoy your new Mini! :mrgreen:

auburnshredder said:
Plugged in my brand new Mini Rec last night......first impression: incredible little amp!!

I am running the head through two Mesa 1x12 cabs, one thiele with an EVM12 and a second openback with an Eminence Private Jack.

The vintage setting on channel 2 alone has more gain then the TA-15 and the modern switch is off the hook. Cleans are every bit as good as the TA15. I can't believe Mesa was able to achieve this kind of tone with 84's. I have three other EL-84 amps (Class 5, Soldano and the TA15) none of them can match the overall tone of the Mini-Rec.

How does it sound with the private jack by itself . I'm wanting to get a greenback flavored speaker to try with mine.

11justin22 said:
auburnshredder said:

How does it sound with the private jack by itself . I'm wanting to get a greenback flavored speaker to try with mine.

I will try that tonight and let you know....probably lose some low end, but sometimes I wonder if these low wattage amps can properly drive the EVM.

MBJunkie said:
Congrats.....The Mini Recto is a great amp indeed!! I have owned mine for a few weeks and continue to be very impressed with the sounds that I am able to achieve in all modes!

I also still own my TA30 112 combo and love it as well, but for different reasons/applications!

Without question, the TA30 can't compare to the high gain sounds offered in channel 2 of the Mini.....not even close. However, the TA30 offers an incredible variety of nice clean, mid gain and crunch sounds in several modes that I also really like. IMO....the Top Boost mode of the TA30 is incredible!

However, I am also very impressed with the variety of great clean, mid gain to even "clean" high gain sounds offered in Ch1 of the Mini! This was really a pleasant surprise to me!

Enjoy your new Mini! :mrgreen:

Definitely keeping the TA. The TA has a certain character that compliments the Mini Rec.

I have the two set up with an amp selector, which really allows a lot of flexibility with the four total channels.

Latest posts

Back