micing live

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon8822

Reaction score
What is generally better quality sound when performing live... plugging the amp into the PA via... the output? or micing the speaker?

if I had some fancy speaker sim hardware or software I'd consider it...but I have always mic'd when running sound or playing out.

There are really two methods of accomplishing this. One is to simply put your trusty mic in front of your amp, and pump that into the PA. The other way is to setup a DI box with speaker emulated output with one output to the PA and the other to your speakers.

I have tried both methods and my preference goes to the mic. High quality DI boxes work, but you have the same fooling around to do if you are going into house systems. If you have your own PA, get a good DI box and figure out what settings work for you best.

pokerrules47 said:
There are really two methods of accomplishing this. One is to simply put your trusty mic in front of your amp, and pump that into the PA. The other way is to setup a DI box with speaker emulated output with one output to the PA and the other to your speakers.
Where exactly does the DI box go in the signal path?
Between the amp and cabinet? :?

Stick a Shure SM57 in the grill and rock. Push it into the face of the grill. On my 4x12 it ussually goes in the lower left 12 in about 3 ins off center. It just works.

Ive tryed all kinds of setups and this works as good as any Ive tryed.

Latest posts

Back