Mic'ing and Express 5:25 w/10"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubbs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought my Express and have just found my sound. Anyone want to buy a Fender Supersonic 112??

Anyway, I decided to purchase a microphone for it and chose a Sennheiser E609. For the bang for the buck it seems to be the right choice.

Now here is my question....I have a mic stand that is made for mic'ing instruments and will allow for an infinite number of placements. My question is how far from the front of the grill shold I place the mic?

I have heard lots of different ideas but would like to hear from you all first.

Thanks,

Nubbs....

Hey Nubbs,

I guess I'm the first to answer.

There is no right on wrong place to place a mic.

Jimmy Page use to plant (no pun intended) mics all over the place, in front of the speaker, behind the speaker, down the hall.

There's only one way to find out, place it, record it, then move it. Most common is off the centre axis, close up to the grill.

I also have the 5:25 1 x10 combo, I am looking forward to recording mine soon.

I just use a Beta 58 on a mic stand, off to the left of centre, then sometimes I add a second mike and mic up the back of the combo. First I listen to them one at a time, then mix them to see if they get the tone I'm looking for.

Lets us know what works for you, and would love to hear your recordings.

Thanks,

Gezza.

I play mostly in a Christian worship band formerly using a Behringer Vampire 112. The problem with that amp is it is heavy to carry, limited touch sensitivity, does not work well with my Carvin DC-200 Koa. It did sound ok with my Taylor T-5 in most situations.

Now the Express is a whole 'nother animal.....it is sweet with the touch sensitivity, works extremely well with both my guitars and since I recently purchased an Analysis Plus cable to plug the guitars in it sounds even better.

As for the recordings, I am going to try to build some and see if I can post for you to hear.

Thanks for the feedback and I am very happy with my Express. Hopefully I will be able to sell my Fender Supersonic 112 for about 800.00 and the Behringer for 100.00 soon.

Darn, I feel GAS coming on......I think I need some pedals.......

Nubbs

Geeza is right... it is mostly trial and error.

I like to use the same logic as micing acoustic guitars: Use your ear... it never lies.

Place your ear in front of the cab and move it around a little (but don't blast your guitar.) Do this just like you would the soundhole of a guitar and "find the sweet spot."

Kiki

A nice way for micing if you have not hundred of mics to mess with, and that I read from a famous producer is to sit front of the amp where you spot that it sounds great to your taste, then to raise the volume of the amp as much that you need to hear fine the healty (?) hissing from the amp and to memorize its sounding characteristic. Now you put your cans (isolated as much as possible) on head and moving your mic front of the speaker(s), you try to find the spot where your mic is giving the closest hissing sound that you already memorized. I'm not having many mics here but for each of them I really get the best of each and easily in that way. If your cans bleed too much you have to take care around the phase cancellation between the cans and the speaker sound bleeding inside the cans. Seems maybe esoteric, but worth to try...

Latest posts

Back