Mesa's Website, Brochures and Owner's Manuals, Missing Info

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
I just don't understand why a company like Mesa/Boogie, who makes great equipment, can be so lacking when it comes to important information in the printed material and Website. I recently bought a Lone Star Special. I can't find information on weight or dimensions anywhere. And how about photos in the brochure of the different amp formats. They don't have a photo that I can find anywhere of the LSS 410.

What gives?

Lone Star Special 4x10 - Height (27 3/4) Width (22 7/8 ) Depth (11 3/4) Weight (78 lbs)

Right out of the pro-net pricing I've received in every Mesa packet I've gotten when I purchased an amp from a Mesa Dealer.. also a stickied thread in this forum :)

They are very careful with their specs.

I have no such animal (pro net pricing) in the packet that came with the amp. But, this info should be in the Mesa Brochure. It's a beautiful brochure with gorgeous photos, It's just missing information that should be there. And the Website is the same way.

I'm not trying to trash Mesa/Boogie, I love the LSS and the LSC. I wish I would have discovered these fantastic tone machines a long time ago. But, no one is going to convince me I'm wrong about this. When I was in the music store where I bought the LSS, They had to call Mesa/Boogie to get the information I was looking for. They couldn't find the info in any of their documentation.

I was in advertising and commercial printing before retiring a couple years ago. the dimensions and weight are always part of printed advertising material like the Mesa/Boogie brochure. Is it the end of the world that it isn't? Not even close. It's probably just an over site. :eek:

Res

Resonator said:
I have no such animal (pro net pricing) in the packet that came with the amp. But, this info should be in the Mesa Brochure. It's a beautiful brochure with gorgeous photos, It's just missing information that should be there. And the Website is the same way.

I'm not trying to trash Mesa/Boogie, I love the LSS and the LSC. I wish I would have discovered these fantastic tone machines a long time ago. But, no one is going to convince me I'm wrong about this. When I was in the music store where I bought the LSS, They had to call Mesa/Boogie to get the information I was looking for. They couldn't find the info in any of their documentation.

I was in advertising and commercial printing before retiring a couple years ago. the dimensions and weight are always part of printed advertising material like the Mesa/Boogie brochure. Is it the end of the world that it isn't? Not even close. It's probably just an over site. :eek:

Res

Your music store is clueless . The weights and dimensions are on page 8 of the price list/product guide . Im quite sure they have a price list . The cabinet weight and dimensions are on the web page as well . Why not call Boogie and ask them to email you a pic of the LSC 4X10 ? By the way, Click on Product guide on the drop down menu on the mesa site and you will have your dimensions , weights etc.. Its on the last page .

rabies - ever make it up to Petaluma? I know it's a ways from LA but I'll be out in Sacremento in the next couple of months and was wondering if they offer tours?

rabies said:
well I'll trash anybody. Mesa doesn't even have a f%&# toll free 800 # on their website (totally unprofessional!) and are closed on fridays!

when I got my brand new replacement RK headshell, nobody from Mesa told me that the f%&# reverb tank was a different model with different input impedence that would cause distortion with my RK1. I spent 2-3 hrs diagnosing and replacing the new reverb tank with the old one. and they ended up raising the price on me by $100 with no explanation until I called Petaluma. f%&# that!

A lot of people on this board worship this company. I don't worship any company. Mesa will eventually disintegrate like Marshall has.

That being said, check out the Diezel warranty and user manuals. Both suck REALLY bad...

Mesa isnt perfect . Neither are you or I . Maybe you should have asked some questions about your RKI especially since it had been updated since yours was made . You just assumed everything was the same . You knew the RKII was updated , maybe you should have asked some questions .
Ive been using Mesa gear for 27 years and Ive got to tell you ive had great service from them not to mention the reliability of their amps . I'm only speaking from my personal experiences . Sorry you had a problem .

Resonator said:
Not knowing how to navigate the website is not an excuse to blame Mesa. Here it is, two clicks off the fucking front page (and that second click is a thumbnail): http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Product_Guide/ProdRef_0206.pdf
But, no one is going to convince me I'm wrong about this. When I was in the music store where I bought the LSS, They had to call Mesa/Boogie to get the information I was looking for. They couldn't find the info in any of their documentation.
The problem is that your dealer is full of dumbasses. I work for a Boogie Dealer, and I have never seen an amp come without a full packet of information including pro net price list, warranty, bumper stickers, manual, catalog.

Res

Again, the only oversight is on the part of the dealer you bought the amp from.

Although, heh, that link is out of date :oops: . Mesa does need new webmasters. Took them forever to put the cabinets back online, and it's a less-functional less-pretty version of the same jpgs. ;)

Regardless, your dealer probably lost the stuff that came with the amp and was trying to cover themselves. Or they're not a legit Boogie dealer.

I didn't mean to start a dogpile on you Res, sorry about that.

Your dealer really should have given you that sheet though.. I think the reason they don't put it in their catalogues is because of how frequently they make changes to their products.

phyrexia said:
Resonator said:
Not knowing how to navigate the website is not an excuse to blame Mesa. Here it is, two clicks off the f%&# front page (and that second click is a thumbnail): http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Product_Guide/ProdRef_0206.pdf
But, no one is going to convince me I'm wrong about this. When I was in the music store where I bought the LSS, They had to call Mesa/Boogie to get the information I was looking for. They couldn't find the info in any of their documentation.
The problem is that your dealer is full of dumbasses. I work for a Boogie Dealer, and I have never seen an amp come without a full packet of information including pro net price list, warranty, bumper stickers, manual, catalog.

Res

Again, the only oversight is on the part of the dealer you bought the amp from.

Wrong on all counts. I did get a laugh out of you and your post though.

Res :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol:

The only thing lacking on their website is soundclips.
I'd love to hear the typical settings from the manuals played by a Les Paul and a Strat to get an idea of the different amps.

Platypus said:
I didn't mean to start a dogpile on you Res, sorry about that.

Your dealer really should have given you that sheet though.. I think the reason they don't put it in their catalogues is because of how frequently they make changes to their products.

Thanks for the dimensions and weight.

As far as the Dealer goes, they have been in business for over 50 years. The owner I deal with is a long time musician who has worked with national acts. He has also worked in studios. In other words, he knows his s#*t. The employees are all long time people who know the gear and how to use it. Not the kind of people you find at Guitar Center. He is a relatively new Mesa Dealer. He told me that Mesa is one of the best company's he has dealt with. Top notch all the way.

I called him last night and he found the Pronet Price List in another Mesa Amp Packet. It didn't have the dimensions or weight for the LSS 410.

The full color catalog from Mesa cost them a pretty penny to put together. I guarantee this was put together by a top notch Advertising Company. You may be right about not wanting to put the dimensions and weight in this catalog because they are planning a change. But their Website and Pronet Price List is another story. For one thing, this information should be available on material that is readily available "Before" you make the purchase, not only in the packet that comes with the amp.

Even Fender includes the spec's on their website. And we all know how lame Fender documentation usually is.

The bottom line is, no one is talking about anyones Mama here. Some people are way to over sensitive about this stuff. Look at "what's his name" who wrote an earlier post in this thread and went off the deep end. All emotions and no thought.

Enough said, Res

Pinweaver said:
The only thing lacking on their website is soundclips.
I'd love to hear the typical settings from the manuals played by a Les Paul and a Strat to get an idea of the different amps.

I disagree. I think it's smart to "NOT" have sound clips on the website. There is no way it would sound anywhere near as good coming through even the best computer speakers.

I think something like a Fender G-DEC sound clip is good. But Amps of the caliber of Mesa/Boogie? You've got to hear it in person. IMHO

Res

Resonator said:
You've got to hear it in person.
I don't disagree with this, but good luck in finding a shop that carries 2-3 different Boogies here in Belgium.
The shop I frequent has a Stiletto and an F30, and only Marshall cabs. Not really representative for MB.
All I want is to get an idea of the flavour of the amps and that can be done perfectly with soundclips.
Besides, which speakers you use is hardly important when it comes to mp3's. I have 5.1 system connected to my PC which sounds better than my audiosystem speakers.

Pinweaver said:
Resonator said:
You've got to hear it in person.
I don't disagree with this, but good luck in finding a shop that carries 2-3 different Boogies here in Belgium.
The shop I frequent has a Stiletto and an F30, and only Marshall cabs. Not really representative for MB.
All I want is to get an idea of the flavour of the amps and that can be done perfectly with soundclips.
Besides, which speakers you use is hardly important when it comes to mp3's. I have 5.1 system connected to my PC which sounds better than my audiosystem speakers.

I don't disagree with your reasoning at all. If it's the only way your going to sample the tone, it's a lot better than any written description. :wink:

Res

Pinweaver said:

Same goes for the states. Here in Houston, the only thing I can find in stores are the Rectifiers (excluding the Road King and Roadster) and maybe, on rare occasion, a Lone Star. I'm looking for a Mark IV to try out, and the only way I can get one in a store to try is to pay 60% down to have them order one from Mesa. I'm not talking about a small vendor either, I'm talking Guitar Center here. We all know their service is horrible, but they are a very high profile Boogie vendor...you'd think they'd have at least one example of a couple of them. Hell, they only carried Stilettos for a couple of months, now you have to custom order one to even try it out.

With that said...anyone know of any other Boogie vendors in Houston I might try to contact about getting a Mark IV? I don't have the money to throw down to get Guitar Center to bring one in.

PS - about the web site...navigating it is difficult at times. There is so much "hidden" info (like Petrucci's rig diagram from a few years ago) that trying to find anything that is not in the main drop down menu is very frustrating. If there is already one on the site, just let me know, but why doesn't Mesa post their prices on their web site? It's not like it's going to ruin competition between vendors since Mesa locks in their own prices. What gives?

rabies said:
That being said, check out the Diezel warranty and user manuals. Both suck REALLY bad...

My Diezel Herbert (like all Diezels) has a lifetime warranty. How does that suck? :?

I have directly corresponded with Peter Diezel on numerous occasions and he has always been more than helpful. Plus he regularly posts on the Diezel Forum at Rig-Talk.com.

The user manual is decent. It's not like the current Mesa manuals. But given the size of the company, it is much better than the 3 sheets of paper stapled together as a manual that I got when I bought my first DR back in 1996.

Just another persons $.02 FWIW.

Many companies feel that there is no real substitute for having a face-to-face interaction with a buyer and a seller. I think this is shown to be true in Mesa's case as you can only buy the product from a dealer, and that the cost is locked (except for Mesa approved discounts on older stock or models that are being replaced).

I would argue the point that if a dealer for a Mesa product cannot easily find out anything and everything about all the models, he does not really know his S@*t. I ran into a mild lack of knowledge at the store where I ordered my LSS, but that was easily overcome by using the website, the brochure, and the ProNet price list.

For me, the ability to download the owner's manual on the Mesa site was the real difference maker. It shows you just about everything you need to know regarding the functionality of the amp, including the ability to switch the reverb on and off via a virtually hidden jack on the underside of the backplate.

Additionally, in my case, I emailed and then spoke to a tech rep (Marcus Daniel) who was very helpful in describing the elements of the amp and how it compared with other choices I was considering.

In my opinion, since Mesa does not sell its product via the internet and invites or even requires a visit to the dealer, the amount of information that they post there can be less than someone who does not offer the personalized service.

Latest posts

Back