Mesa's.... no articulation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon8822

Reaction score
Something I hate with the Mesa is the lack of articulation, when playing fast its just a mess of indistinguishable notes. Though, I love the tone for rhythm, riffs, etc...

Is there any way to get more articulation, for lead work?

Like... my Laney...

+1 on turning down the gain. Unlike most amps, mesa don't perform best with everything juiced, they are set up so that settings in the moderate range will produce the best results, and they can be pushed to extremes to taste. From personal experience I can tell you that my mark four is one of the most responsive amps I've ever played. Turning down the volume pot on your guitar will also open up a greater dynamic range. The setting database is a good place to start for getting a better idea of how to dial in your amps.

Think of the worst amp imaginable.
Now think of Vai (or Satriani, or Petrucci, etc.) playing through it.
You think their articulation would suffer?
Didn't think so.
So where does articulation reside?

guitarmaster said:
Sure ! You have to spend more hours with your guitar......................."articulation" is in your hands not in the amp!!!!!!!

I totally agree...a better sound comes through studying a lot and "playing with your ears"; this is the best advice I can give to you. Then your amp and guitar do the rest! :wink:
An amp doesn't make a miracle, it's all in the mind and in the hands...believe it...

What Mesa amp do you own? What are your settings? Simply stating your 'Mesa' does not have articulation is not enough info to let us help you out - if that is what you are after. If you are just venting and don't want any input then you're on the wrong forum! :)

While I agree that a good part of one's tone is in the fingers I will also say that a certain amount of articulation and definition is inherent in an amp's base tone. Playing style/technique can either exaggerate this characteristic or mask it. Depends on the player.

MusicManJP6 said:
While I agree that a good part of one's tone is in the fingers I will also say that a certain amount of articulation and definition is inherent in an amp's base tone. Playing style/technique can either exaggerate this characteristic or mask it. Depends on the player.

+1000

Mesa's typically have more articulation than anything, but the best boutique amps made!

Old BF Shred said:
Have you been listening to/playing Mesa's with stock Mesa tubes? :?:
That would explain it not sounding up to it's potential

Good luck :D

So what tubes do you recomend ?
I have a mark III and IV

guitarmaster said:
Devon8822 said:
Something I hate with the Mesa is the lack of articulation, when playing fast its just a mess of indistinguishable notes. Though, I love the tone for rhythm, riffs, etc...

Like... my Laney...

So, do you think Laney has better articulation ? Please, don't joke...............try a Mark III or Mark IV : it's impossible you can't achieve a good lead tone!!!!!!!!!

Devon8822 said:

Sure ! You have to spend more hours with your guitar......................."articulation" is in your hands not in the amp!!!!!!!

Just a video from youtube recorded with a cheap camera (not mine video)............no articulation ???? :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KiGEzKHH_g&fmt=18

thats me, love that III.. used my old camera to take that clip.. :D

guitarmaster said:
willrock said:
thats me, love that III.. used my old camera to take that clip.. :D

My compliments, black dot/black stripe is the rarest . In theory your Mark III should have more output power than a Mark IIC+. Great amp 8)

thanks guitarmaster.. the sad part is, i have to sell this amp, its on the classified section actually.. sad times :( gotta pay the bills first..

Devon8822 said:

Like... my Laney...

Get a Marshall JCM800, 1959/1987 or DSL

Latest posts

Back