Mesa Virgin No More!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardph

Reaction score
This is my first trip to tone central, as the proud owner of a new ED 112. My 40+ years of playing experience has taken me from Heathkit, to Quilter (yep QSC used to make guitar amps), to 100w
Marshall stack, to Lab 5 series, to Fender Twin and Deluxe reverbs etc. Most recently I've been
playing through a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (I know, what was I thinking? probably $$). I finally
get my first Mesa at 54 years of age. Well I guess it's better to have tasted tone than never to have tasted at all. I'm so utterly pleased with this amp, using both an EJ Strat and LP Standard, I can't make this baby sound bad, only better. First gig with the ED will be in 2 weeks. I can't wait. My only
problem now.... what pedals DON'T I need to bring to the gig. Very happy to have found this forum to share.

redosroom003001.jpg

Congrats!

You picked a good first Mesa!

It seems the ED has attracted a lot of the older players , and some younger ones as well.

I play mainly straight in, but have messed with a tube screamer "model" on my digitech pedal that sounds sweet in front of the ED. So I would say your tube screamer is a keeper.

Hope you got helping carying her to gigs. As a man who has already taken two ambulance trips due to throwing out my back, the thought of toting around the behemoth does not put a smile on my face.

Very nice rig there Richard, very nice indeed….You’re gonna’ be very happy with that amp. I promise. :wink:

Cheers
Bill

If I'm running on the clean mode, Satch pedal is o.k. but you really have to dial it back for
continuity, unless you're going to be running it all the time and use volume dynamic. But I've
been running in blue (lo vint) most of the time now, whick cleans up nicely with volume adjustment,
but when pushed I don't use the Saturator at all. Blue mode is warm and smooth with my strat, and
if I need a little extra kick I use the Tube Screamer with the level up, gain down most of the way.
so IMO, if you don't want to switch modes, stay in clean and run your satch for dirt/solos. But since
I'm going to be switching between clean and blue at gigs, I'll probabally rarely use the Satchurator.
I'm also using the clean trim to tame the difference between modes.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back