Mesa T-Verb Custom Footswitch Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Silva

Reaction score
I have a Mesa Trem-O-Verb amp. This amp has 4 stomp box type footswitches to control channel switching, tremolo, reverb and fx loop. Mesa never made an all inclusive box for this amp so what you end up with is 4 boxes and 4 cables. I think that should be an OSHA hazard!!!

Anyway, I was wanting to build a custom stomp box with 4 switches and 4 (or 5 if possible) LEDs to control each of the functions. The channels are called Red/Orange so two LEDs to show which channel I'm on would be great. The other 3 LEDs would be on/off indicators of the tremolo, reverb and f/x loop.

I am a newbie so simple instructions and parts list would be appreciated. To me this seems like a rather simple task but again I am but a newbie.

Thanks in advance...

Man u said exactly what ive been wanting. But u hit the nail onthe head its defently a custom job. I actully msged Michael Wolf (mesa customer service) about it and he sujested instead of buying the 4 foot swtiches i get. This is what he wrote:

Hello Michael!

We do get asked for a multi- button footswitch for the Tremoverb, but we never
did make one. My best suggestion here would be to get a couple of the Boss
FS5-L footswitches, ( which can be joined together side by side). One
footswitch will be necessary for each function you siwh to control. ( for the
reverb on/off, it is necessary to use a shielded guitar cord, so that it will
not cause a source of hum).

Now i looked over at boss's site but couldn't find ****. I thought of askin some guy here in australia to make me one but im lazy, LOL i wish boogie mate a genuin one.

It's EXTREMELY easy to build one with just the switches, but LEDs require a little more work. At the bare minimum (Without LEDs), you need:

-4 1/4" female jacks
-4 switches
-1 enclosure/box
-4 regular guitar cables

Now you could also just use one long custom cable from the box to the amp, then it would split into 8 sets of 2 wires, meaning 4 functions. Then just wire those to 1/4" male plugs.

I like using the normal cables method though, you have a few more cables, but it's pretty easy to just replace one in a hurry if you need to.

All you do is solder two wires from the switch to the 1/4" female jacks, then plug your cable into one of the jacks, then the other end goes into the tverb's jack for the function you wish to switch.

I have momentary switches installed in my switcher too, so I can can a quick channel change, quick reverb, etc by just holding a switch down.

MJ

4nkam said:
I have momentary switches installed in my switcher too, so I can can a quick channel change, quick reverb, etc by just holding a switch down.

So how do you select multiple items like reverb and tremolo at the same time? Step on both buttons?

Michael... The Boss FS5-L would be the same as having the 4 separate Mesa Boxes. You would still have (4) FS5-L switches plus 4 cables.

If you start this project, I'd suggest you contact the guys at http://www.pedalboards.com/ and see if you could get a 4 switch looper with just the hardware and no guts.

My T-verb head came with a custom made pedal with 3 switches on it. I'll take a picture of it tonight when I get home and post it so you can get an idea of what mine looks like.

It looks like the guy took a Marshall or Peavey foot switch stomp box or made a metal box out of some sturdy metal and then drilled 3 holes in the top of it and put 3 a/b switches in it and then made a special 30 ft cable to connect to the switches......that cable has 3 individual smaller cables in it that connect to each switch. I don't use one for the reverb, so I use one for Tremolo, one for the Channel and then one for the FX loop (which I have a volume pedal, set at a lower volume, in the loop for a volume boost when I kick off the loop).

The only pic I have right now isn't a verry good one of the pedal, but you can kind of get an idea of what I'm talking about until I post some pics of the actual pedal.

tremoverbhead8km.jpg

PS...... The only thing it's lacking that would make it perfect is LED's in it. So right now I turn around to look at my amp almost every time I step on the pedal to make sure it's switched before I start playing.

J Silva said:
4nkam said:

So how do you select multiple items like reverb and tremolo at the same time? Step on both buttons?

I have separate switches for each function, PLUS the momentary switches. So if I wanted reverb and trem, yeah you just hit both at the same time and they are on. Or if you just want one on for a quick second, step on the momentary for a quick second :)

You could get fancier and use something like the axess function switcher and do it all via midi though.

MJ

rectofootswitch0rk.jpg

Here's the pics of my footswitch I promised earlier..... It may not be what you're wanting, but here it is anyways..... Thats just a Dual Rectifier sticker on the top of it and I wrote what the buttons did with the blue metallic marker.

It's just got the inside of the switch with 2 leads coming off of each one to the master cable and then fed through the hole in the back. I won't be able to take a picture of it for a few days now with the holidays and my gigs this weekend all cutting it pretty close in time to make it to all of 'em. I'll try to though.

That's cool, I got what you're saying. Sounds pretty basic which is good for an electronics novice like myself.

I did find a Fender footswith with Channel, F/X Loop, Reverb and Tremolo lables and LEDs for each. I was thinking of using that as a donor footswitch... the switches are even latching. Then all I would have to do is gut it and re-wire it.

Do you use a separate switch for the Reverb?

I really have no need to switch it off, so I just leave the Reverb on all the time. We have 2 other guitars in my band going, so the reverb gets pretty covered up on my rythms, and my leads are bumped up enough for the reverb to be noticed. If I were the only guitarist, I'd use the A/B switch I've had for over 10 years to switch it (or the original T-verb channel swithcer). Plus, I don't have a lot of reverb to drown my sound (nat saying you do), just a hint of it.

Or

I only use Tremolo on 1 or 2 songs, I could just not use it since most people wouldn't notice and use that button for Reverb if I wanted.

Latest posts

Back