Mesa Stiletto clip

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
insideout said:
To compare a home recording to Andy Timmons who has limitless resources and post production professionals at his disposal is completely ridiculous. Sorry :roll:.

couple of quick things.....and i am not trying to be combative here but i would not say that andy timmons has "unlimited" resources......his latest album was recorded much in the same way many "normal" folks record with a system at home. the album was produced by andy and his bass player and was engineered by andy, the bass player and Rob Wechsler....he is not producing albums on mega budgets at all.

secondly, andy does play the boogie stuff including the stiletto live but his entire resolution cd was recorded with a couple of old marshall heads running thru a couple of boogie cabinets with a butler tube driver pushing the marshall heads into some creamy overdrive.....that sound on the cd is not produced by a boogie.

his newly released live dvd does have him playing those tunes on his boogie rig and it sounds fantastic....so i do think the stiletto is capable of producing some really nice tones as well as the lonestar which is the other amp he is now using.

thunderkyss said:
insideout said:
I think what Charlie meant was mic placement. Moving the mic around different parts of the speaker and straight on or angled (on/off axis) can make a huge difference in the recorded tone. He's right that if you haven't already, try moving the mic around while monitoring through headphones to see what a difference it makes. Sticking the mic right up on the dust cover (center of speaker) usually doesn't give very good results - i.e. bees nest.

So are you saying it sounded like a bees nest??

I think the tone sounds right on, for what he's trying to do(way to go dude)

What Charlie needs to do, is tell him if it was too thin..... not thin enough.. sterile.... whatever he thinks. Then maybe suggest how he thinks mic placement may help. Sticking the mic right up on the dust cover may be the right thing to do, depending on what you're wanting to do.

It sounds thin, buzzy and 'transistory' to me. And I want to say, again, that the playing is really good! But you can definitely pull a better sound out of that setup. No need for a million dollar studio to get a better sound than what you are getting. I'm not a recording engineer or anything but I have found that it is similar to photgraphy in that what you see with your own eye does not depict what you are going to get in a photo. So your amp may sound great in the room but that doesn't mean it's going to sound good on the recording. I think you definitely have too much gain on the amp and that isn't helping. I would try experimenting with a bunch of different mic positions - close, 1 foot away, 2 feet away, on/off axis, center, edge etc.. TAKE NOTES. This way when you find something you really like you can duplicate it later.

Charlie said:
thunderkyss said:
insideout said:
I think what Charlie meant was mic placement. Moving the mic around different parts of the speaker and straight on or angled (on/off axis) can make a huge difference in the recorded tone. He's right that if you haven't already, try moving the mic around while monitoring through headphones to see what a difference it makes. Sticking the mic right up on the dust cover (center of speaker) usually doesn't give very good results - i.e. bees nest.

So are you saying it sounded like a bees nest??

I think the tone sounds right on, for what he's trying to do(way to go dude)

What Charlie needs to do, is tell him if it was too thin..... not thin enough.. sterile.... whatever he thinks. Then maybe suggest how he thinks mic placement may help. Sticking the mic right up on the dust cover may be the right thing to do, depending on what you're wanting to do.

It sounds thin, buzzy and 'transistory' to me. And I want to say, again, that the playing is really good! But you can definitely pull a better sound out of that setup. No need for a million dollar studio to get a better sound than what you are getting. I'm not a recording engineer or anything but I have found that it is similar to photgraphy in that what you see with your own eye does not depict what you are going to get in a photo. So your amp may sound great in the room but that doesn't mean it's going to sound good on the recording. I think you definitely have too much gain on the amp and that isn't helping. I would try experimenting with a bunch of different mic positions - close, 1 foot away, 2 feet away, on/off axis, center, edge etc.. TAKE NOTES. This way when you find something you really like you can duplicate it later.

Thanks for the tips guys

Latest posts

Back