Mesa Stiletto clip

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whackmaster63

Reaction score
So i checked out a mesa stiletto combo from my local store, this amp sounds great, i miked it with a sure 57 into my Iomega interface into cubase SE, Hows the tone

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25965

Sounds great! Nice biting Stiletto tone 8) . That's the first time I've heard someone actually pull-off the vocals on that tune (most tend to butcher it). Nice job 8)

That was just a backing track i found on the internet. Wish i could find a singer like that around :cry:

very full sounding for being just a single guitar track (am I right?? :oops: ), bet rhythms would sound gorgeous if double tracked. Liked the tone a lot too!

I like the andy timmons stuff with the stiletto, but I didn't like this track. But if the other guys here says that it's a good track, it's my fault that I don't like it.

To compare a home recording to Andy Timmons who has limitless resources and post production professionals at his disposal is completely ridiculous. Sorry :roll:.

which again makes me like the andy timmons tone from the stiletto sound better

and that we always get the basics from a home recording studio as well

I hope I don't come off like a d!ck but I don't think this represents the tone of the Stiletto very well. The playing is good... I just don't like the tone.

You should be able to pull a much better sound out of the amp. What type of technique were using with the mic? You should try experimenting with it some more.

I just used a Shure 57 into a Iomega interface, I didnt use much volume
it was only at 2. i recordednit in my apartment, what didnt you like about it???

I think what Charlie meant was mic placement. Moving the mic around different parts of the speaker and straight on or angled (on/off axis) can make a huge difference in the recorded tone. He's right that if you haven't already, try moving the mic around while monitoring through headphones to see what a difference it makes. Sticking the mic right up on the dust cover (center of speaker) usually doesn't give very good results - i.e. bees nest.

insideout said:
I think what Charlie meant was mic placement. Moving the mic around different parts of the speaker and straight on or angled (on/off axis) can make a huge difference in the recorded tone. He's right that if you haven't already, try moving the mic around while monitoring through headphones to see what a difference it makes. Sticking the mic right up on the dust cover (center of speaker) usually doesn't give very good results - i.e. bees nest.

So are you saying it sounded like a bees nest??

I think the tone sounds right on, for what he's trying to do(way to go dude)

What Charlie needs to do, is tell him if it was too thin..... not thin enough.. sterile.... whatever he thinks. Then maybe suggest how he thinks mic placement may help. Sticking the mic right up on the dust cover may be the right thing to do, depending on what you're wanting to do.

thunderkyss said:
[
So are you saying it sounded like a bees nest??

Not at all. If you recall from earlier in the thread, I said I thought it sounded good. I was just giving an example of what different mic placements do. I used to always mic the speaker right on the dust cover until I read about mic placement. I found that I like it much better off center, or center - off axis.

I just bought a shure sm57 and have been messing around with it and I think offcenter/off axis is the best sounding. IMHO 8)

Latest posts

Back