Mesa Roadking

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_1990

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im new to ths forum iv just gotten into mesa and i just love them. Well im thinking about buying a roadking but they are really expensive i used to want a Marshall jcm 800 with a super overdrive but mesa has the pure crunch i need. If i got a roadking would there be any need for me to use my SD-1 for leads? Please just tell me abit about them amp. Im into players like Petrucci, Laiho, Paul Gilbert, Randy, Steve Vai, Yngwie those type of guys.
Thanks

Roak King II is really a great amp. I think a boost pedal in front of a rectifier is never bad to achieve smooth solos (but the vintage mode alone would give you a great tone too). Absolutely no need for it for heavy rhythms, pure modern Mesa high gain!

OD's are not needed with the RK but that doesn't mean you can't use one. It's a great way to get a different, smoother lead tone as has been said already. See what it does when you drop the gain setting on the OD to 0 and just bump the level.

Toit!

andrew_1990 said:
Hey guys,
Im new to ths forum iv just gotten into mesa and i just love them. Well im thinking about buying a roadking but they are really expensive i used to want a Marshall jcm 800 with a super overdrive but mesa has the pure crunch i need. If i got a roadking would there be any need for me to use my SD-1 for leads? Please just tell me abit about them amp. Im into players like Petrucci, Laiho, Paul Gilbert, Randy, Steve Vai, Yngwie those type of guys.
Thanks

I agree with cudbucket . You wont need a pedal but having it just adds more versatility . Have you considered checking out a Stiletto or a Mark IV ? I would at least try them .

Guy's, I disagree. I strongly feel a good boost pedal takes away the flubbines and tightens the Recto's/RK's up. A little extra boost on top of that will take it into super shred. I have been using the BB preamp. Even with the Treble at 1:00 and the Bass at 1:00 it tightens the amp up with amazing results. You can get a good lead tone out of the amp, but I have always found getting a balance difficult until now.

Boogiebabies said:
Guy's, I disagree. I strongly feel a good boost pedal takes away the flubbines and tightens the Recto's/RK's up. A little extra boost on top of that will take it into super shred. I have been using the BB preamp. Even with the Treble at 1:00 and the Bass at 1:00 it tightens the amp up with amazing results. You can get a good lead tone out of the amp, but I have always found getting a balance difficult until now.

I dont disagree with what you are saying but are'nt rectos scoopier/looser by nature ? Im sure the BB does indeed tighten it up but if i were the chap asking the question here i would try some other amps in Mesa'a line. Boogiebabies, did you move ? I thought you were in NC ?

Barry said:
Boogiebabies, did you move ? I thought you were in NC ?

Boogiebabies, watch your back. You are being stalked.

I kid. lol.

By the way, I bought the Xotic BB pre-amp! I tried it with my F-50 and its perfect for boosting my solos and tighting it up!!!

I can't wait to try it with my new Roadster! Thanks Boogiebabies.
By the way, you nickname is the funniest thing on this board.

I'm throwing in my two cents on the boost.. I would never play a rectifier series amp without one for leads.. no ifs/buts about it.

Platypus said:
I'm throwing in my two cents on the boost.. I would never play a rectifier series amp without one for leads.. no ifs/buts about it.

Fair enough . I would assume that type of thing is what sold you on the Stiletto ? The tightness and different voicing . I still say that the looser sound you get from recto is part of its nature . Thats what the R&D for those amps was aimed at . Thats not to say a pedal is a bad thing but for me if you are using a pedal to tighten it then you probably bought the wrong mesa at that point . By the way , Im picking up a Deuce stage II on saturday . I may still keep my stage I but not sure yet .

Barry said:
Platypus said:

Fair enough . I would assume that type of thing is what sold you on the Stiletto ? The tightness and different voicing . I still say that the looser sound you get from recto is part of its nature . Thats what the R&D for those amps was aimed at . Thats not to say a pedal is a bad thing but for me if you are using a pedal to tighten it then you probably bought the wrong mesa at that point . By the way , Im picking up a Deuce stage II on saturday . I may still keep my stage I but not sure yet .

You're right about the Stiletto, it had the tight sound I was after. I love the
huge crunch of the DR's but they just suck for soloing to my ears compared to a Mark or a Stiletto or really any other Mesa amp.. they just are built for rhythm it seems.

And it was the wrong mesa for me it seems as I'm selling it :)

Congrats on the StageII man, hope you dig it!

The address is Silent Bob's from his United Jersey Brotherhood of Dealers card. He's a licensed drug dealer. Dey Gota union !!!! The Local 404.

I'm still in the UC (Union County). Surrounded by the entitled.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/jsbstash_1938_17444002

Platypus said:
Barry said:
Platypus said:

You're right about the Stiletto, it had the tight sound I was after. I love the
huge crunch of the DR's but they just suck for soloing to my ears compared to a Mark or a Stiletto or really any other Mesa amp.. they just are built for rhythm it seems.

And it was the wrong mesa for me it seems as I'm selling it :)

Congrats on the StageII man, hope you dig it!

I talked at length to some friends at mesa about the Deuce and Ace . They are identical apart from wattage and the Ace having an aluminum chassis . I also played through them at NAMM . Had a nice chat with Randall Smith as well . Said some nice things to me about being an exclusive mesa player since 1980 .

Boogiebabies said:
Barry, your a bastage !!! You spoke with our leader ????

That must have been great. I am happy for you.

My friend Steve Mueller at Mesa aranged the meeting for me . I found Randy to be very gracious and as i stated he was very thankful that i have been using their gear for such a long period . Got a few pics of the three of us as well . Theres some amazing things on the horizon but please dont ask me as I cant mention anything . But then they are always up to creating great new gear, are'nt they ?

This review should tell you all that you need to know about the Road King II and the Roadster:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Scott

Barry, Boogiebabies... how much is this information worth? Name your price! 8) :p

I love my Road King, but for me it really is a love/hate thing. The cleans are not the problem, there grrrrreat!:lol: It's channels 3 and 4. IMO vintage it the best of the voices, but even at times this voicing does get on my nerves. I like the fact that the amp doesn't stay tight and has a forgiving feel. Then there are times where I wish it was ALOT tighter. A OD or EQ pedal does help tighten things up, It also adds another dimension of versatility. Yes when ripping out solos, for me, a boost is a must.

MetalMatt said:
Barry, Boogiebabies... how much is this information worth? Name your price! 8) :p

I love my Road King, but for me it really is a love/hate thing. The cleans are not the problem, there grrrrreat!:lol: It's channels 3 and 4. IMO vintage it the best of the voices, but even at times this voicing does get on my nerves. I like the fact that the amp doesn't stay tight and has a forgiving feel. Then there are times where I wish it was ALOT tighter. A OD or EQ pedal does help tighten things up, It also adds another dimension of versatility. Yes when ripping out solos, for me, a boost is a must.

You have it correct in that a pedal does give versatility but if its too loose sounding go for a mark IV or a Stiletto . In the RK my mode of choice is also vintage in Channel 3&4

Thanks heaps for the help guys. Im trying to find a nice used road king, anyone no how much they would cost roughly head and cab?? Aussie dollars.

Latest posts

Back