Mesa Rectoverb 50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTRoy

Reaction score
I have found one for sale and was wandering to get a opinion on them. It is a series 2 Rectorverb 50 1x12. will it pretty much cover all different types of music? I am looking to down size from a Half stack Marshall JCM to go with something a little more managable to carry around to gigs.
I mostly play classic Rock and some Metal nothing to serious tho. It is in really nice condition and he said something about a effects loop mod. What is that??

I've owned a triple a double a mark 4 a 5 and a trem now.I liked the rectoverb the best next to the trem.
fx loop mod I'm not sure of sorry.

The Single Rec is noticeably brighter and more articulated when compared to Dual and Triple Recs, but still has the Rectifier characteristic. It only has diode rectification, where the Dual and Trips (and T-verb, which is a Dual Rec) have tube rectifiers as well.

To me, that works out to a metal amp that also does beautifully for classic rock. It will have more mid-harmonics and gain than a Marshall, but still lots of presence.

The Mini Rec sounds a lot like the Single Rec, much closer to that than the Dual/Trip. I have used the MR for a couple years now playing classic rock, blues and R&B, as well as hard rock and metal. For my $, it nails them all. I believe you would find the same to be true for the SR.

The SR originally came with a parallel loop, all but unuseable with digital effects. My guess is that the owner had it modified to a series loop.

What is the difference between Tube and diode Rectifier? is this something i need to consider? would i be better off with a tube Rectifier? I have heard lots of good things about these models.. I just want my first Mesa to really Kick a$$. and something if i dont like i wont be loosing a load of money on.. I am searching for the amp i will keep forever. It took me a while to fing the Guitar i want for life now i am searching for the amp to go along with it...

TNTRoy said:
What is a series loop? and how would that been different that what it had stock?

Easier to explain what a parallel loop is first. When you have a parallel loop, you have two signals: the pure, uneffected signal, and another that is passed through the effects in the loop. These two are then mixed together. The idea is that since effects can degrade your tone, you also get pure uneffected amp tone. Nice idea, doesn't work in practice. The slightest latency in your effects loop can cast the two signals out of phase with each other, resulting in a horrible sounding out-of-phase 'quack'. It sounds like you had a broken chorus pedal always on. It really ruins your tone. This happens very easily with digital effects since they always have some latency (A/D and D/A conversion plus processing), no matter how minimal. That is enough to throw the two signals out of phase with each other.
But it can also happen with analog effects. I have experienced it with nothing but a patch cable in a parallel effects loop!

A serial loop simply passes the entire signal through your loop. This can obviously degrade the signal if the effects in the loop color the signal or do poor A/D-D/A conversion, so you want the best quality effects possible in your loop. No Chinese plastic toys.
So, in theory, it will not cause an out-of-phase effect at all. But I've experienced a slight out-of-phase effect with some serial loops, at extremely low (bedroom) volumes. Apparently this is caused by signal bleed. The problem goes away at band volume.

In general, I much prefer serial loops.

TNTRoy said:
What is the difference between Tube and diode Rectifier? is this something i need to consider?

No. Not in your case.

They will slightly change the amp feel and attack - diode rectification makes the attack faster and sharper, with tube rectification it is looser, slower and more vintage-y. It is a very subtle difference, many people don't even notice it. For what you want to play, diode rectification seems to me preferable anyway.

LesPaul70 said:
TNTRoy said:
What is a series loop? and how would that been different that what it had stock?

Easier to explain what a parallel loop is first. When you have a parallel loop, you have two signals: the pure, uneffected signal, and another that is passed through the effects in the loop. These two are then mixed together. The idea is that since effects can degrade your tone, you also get pure uneffected amp tone. Nice idea, doesn't work in practice. The slightest latency in your effects loop can cast the two signals out of phase with each other, resulting in a horrible sounding out-of-phase 'quack'. It sounds like you had a broken chorus pedal always on. It really ruins your tone. This happens very easily with digital effects since they always have some latency (A/D and D/A conversion plus processing), no matter how minimal. That is enough to throw the two signals out of phase with each other.
But it can also happen with analog effects. I have experienced it with nothing but a patch cable in a parallel effects loop!

A serial loop simply passes the entire signal through your loop. This can obviously degrade the signal if the effects in the loop color the signal or do poor A/D-D/A conversion, so you want the best quality effects possible in your loop. No Chinese plastic toys.
So, in theory, it will not cause an out-of-phase effect at all. But I've experienced a slight out-of-phase effect with some serial loops, at extremely low (bedroom) volumes. Apparently this is caused by signal bleed. The problem goes away at band volume.

In general, I much prefer serial loops.

TNTRoy said:
What is the difference between Tube and diode Rectifier? is this something i need to consider?

No. Not in your case.

They will slightly change the amp feel and attack - diode rectification makes the attack faster and sharper, with tube rectification it is looser, slower and more vintage-y. It is a very subtle difference, many people don't even notice it. For what you want to play, diode rectification seems to me preferable anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.. Mostly i play classic rock like AC/DC and some metal. I also do a little of grunge too. Just trying to find something small that sounds great that will cover about everything.. Never had a Mesa and was talking to a (local musician) that has had one since 1980 and has done hundreds of gigs and never had a problem with it.

Another quick question. If i buy the Rectoverb 50 will i be able to run a extension cab along with the speaker in the amp? I was looking at the 1x12 cabs that Mesa offers. Though it might look cool and sound alot better with 2x12.

TNTRoy said:
Another quick question. If i buy the Rectoverb 50 will i be able to run a extension cab along with the speaker in the amp? I was looking at the 1x12 cabs that Mesa offers. Though it might look cool and sound alot better with 2x12.

Yes, you can run an extension cab, and it will give you a lot more low-end, much as a 2x12 would. I actually think two 1x12 sound bigger than a 2x12.

TNTRoy said:
What is the difference between Tube and diode Rectifier? is this something i need to consider? would i be better off with a tube Rectifier? I have heard lots of good things about these models.. I just want my first Mesa to really Kick a$$. and something if i dont like i wont be loosing a load of money on.. I am searching for the amp i will keep forever. It took me a while to fing the Guitar i want for life now i am searching for the amp to go along with it...

There is zero chance that you will find an amp right out of the gate that you will keep forever. Even if you have played a large number of amps and have a very good idea of what you want, this is unlikely. But in your case you've never owned a Mesa. All amps have their strong points and their weak points, and their own character. I have had a number of Mesa models and my own expectations and needs have changed over time. And GAS...

You will learn a lot more about amps by playing through them than by asking tons of questions. Good questions about the loop and whatnot, though. You do need to know what the features do. You just can't learn about tone on a forum. You need to have a guitar plugged into an amp.

elvis said:
TNTRoy said:

Yes, you can run an extension cab, and it will give you a lot more low-end, much as a 2x12 would. I actually think two 1x12 sound bigger than a 2x12.

Thanks for the info.

elvis said:
TNTRoy said:

There is zero chance that you will find an amp right out of the gate that you will keep forever. Even if you have played a large number of amps and have a very good idea of what you want, this is unlikely. But in your case you've never owned a Mesa. All amps have their strong points and their weak points, and their own character. I have had a number of Mesa models and my own expectations and needs have changed over time. And GAS...

You will learn a lot more about amps by playing through them than by asking tons of questions. Good questions about the loop and whatnot, though. You do need to know what the features do. You just can't learn about tone on a forum. You need to have a guitar plugged into an amp.

I agree with you 100%. I have went thru a tone of different amps like Crate's, peavey's and Marshalls. liked different things amout them but not a 100% in love with one.. Dont get me wrong i have a few favorites that i will not sale. but most do get sold. It took me awhile to find the guitar i wanted and i did change the pickups and wiring but now love it. It is just a plan old SG Standard nothing special but i love the way it feels... Have been trying to love a amp 100% and havent found it yet. I have never messed around with Mesa because never played one or have heard anybody play one locally. And the price scared me away. I have as much in a Marshall JCM half stack as i am gonna put into a small Mesa combo so something tells me they have to be great because of this.. I love my marshall dont get me wrong but it just dont sound that great for metal unless i put a pedal in front of it. And trying to drag around a 412 half stack is not fun eather.. I have seen videos on the Mesa i am looking at and it seem to rock pretty hard. I have also noticed i cant really find anything bad about the Rectoverb 50 other than a slight delay in channel switching which wont bother me anyway.
That really impressed me alot to because i like to buy quality when i buy something.. I am a mechanic and i use some of the most exspencive brands of tools like Snap-on. When i buy something i want to buy something solid that i can depend on when needed.
I mean i am looking at 700 bucks for this little amp and i am just trying to find as much info about it as i can. Thanks for all the info and if everything go ok tomorrow i will be a Mesa owner. Please keep your fingurs crossed for me.. Thanks Roy

Here's a link: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=58551&start=0

Just don't expect to dial it in the same way as your Marshall. You've got a lot to learn.... so read about this amp and spend time with it. Heaps of posts on this site.

I was running Winged C EL34's in mine. Great tubes. Shame they don't make them any more. I sold my Rectoverb (just wanted more channels) and now own a Roadster.... different beast altogether.

It's a great amp. You won't be disappointed.

Blaklynx said:
Here's a link: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=58551&start=0

Just don't expect to dial it in the same way as your Marshall. You've got a lot to learn.... so read about this amp and spend time with it. Heaps of posts on this site.

I was running Winged C EL34's in mine. Great tubes. Shame they don't make them any more. I sold my Rectoverb (just wanted more channels) and now own a Roadster.... different beast altogether.

It's a great amp. You won't be disappointed.

I ran this amp for less than 30 min and fell in love with it... The only thing i dont like is the weight. but i can live with it. I would rather it be made well and heavy than light a crappy..

This thing gets loud in a hurry....

Latest posts

Back