Mesa Rectifier Amps And Overdrive Pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal-Mesa

Reaction score
I wanted to reach out to the Mesa Metal Heads who play allot of rhythm guitar and prefer a OD pedal with their amp, if so what do you guys like and why. I’m looking to get a pedal---Play Mesa Mini-A Dual Rectifier-Mark V with a Gibson LP.

Thanks

The TS-9 is a great pedal (I have one) - BUT - I actually prefer the Digitech Bad Monkey. For $50 you can't go wrong

With my 90s Recto I get the best results with a Maxon OD808. It blends so naturally it's like it's part of the amp.

The OD808 doesn't jive with my Roadster however. The amp and pedal distortions stay separate and it feels like you're playing through a pedal instead of an amplifier. With the Roadster I've gotten better results with a Fulltone Full Drive 2.

I am personally very happy with my Fulltone OCD boosting my Tremoverb. I use it in LP mode, the HP mode brings on a little too much harshness in that amp. HP sounds good with my Egnater though. I have been meaning to try it with an 18 volt supply, at Guitar Center it gave the pedal a little more headroom

I use a 808 for tight lows and sharp attack.
I like my OCD for smooth, fat chunky rhythms.

When I had my Roadster, I tried the Maxon OD808 and the Fulltone OCD.

Ended up with a Digitech Bad Monkey, which pleased me better. And no, money was not an issue in that case.

With my Roadster I love the BB Preamp. It's the only pedal that I could tweak in to find a setting for me that works equally well with Modern Mode rhythm tones and Vintage Mode lead tones.

IMO you can never go wrong owning a TS-9 or OD-808, regardless of amp.

I've also had good results with the Dan-O Cool Cat Transparent OD (Timmy copy?).

Dom

+1 for everything said about the bad monkey! GREAT little pedal. Ive ran one now for about two years with my Dual and Mini and it sounds great. Ive tried Ts9 and 808 and while they are a slight bit better i cant justify the huge difference in price. The one thing that surprised me was how much the bass and treble controls on the bad monkey actually affect the sound. A very versatile pedal indeed!

My Mini's

004.jpg

Im looking at doing that Mini/Dark Terror Rig myself! How does it sound? I bet its amazing? Dont suppose you could post a clip or two of it?

I cant believe how well this sounds, its very Metal head for sure. It's got the Orange tone but Metal, I would recommend to buy one if you get a chance.

Dave G. said:
Im looking at doing that Mini/Dark Terror Rig myself! How does it sound? I bet its amazing? Dont suppose you could post a clip or two of it?

I use a Boss SD-1 with my Tremoverb . The asymmetric clipping seems to work better for it than the TS-types do, it really makes it come alive and enhances harmonic sensitivity (or something like that... ;)).

I also like the DS-1 (old Japanese one) into the Modern High-Gain, but it doesn't work as well with the other overdriven modes, although it does into the clean.

Back